The Open Championship 2013 - Muirfield

Started by laoislad, July 15, 2013, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Rossie11

Quote from: southdown on July 17, 2013, 10:21:35 AM
Pointless betting on golf
How so? All you need it 2-3 wins per season and you will break even. Unlike horse racing you know
that the guys are trying to win every week.

southdown

Any 1 guy out of 30 can realistically win it.

Canalman

Can't speak for others but the tournament is alot more interesting to watch if you have backed a few players with a few euro here or there.

Gabriel_Hurl

Pointless betting on anything

could have said that for all the good it was

Gabriel_Hurl

Absolutlely brutal article here

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/northern-ireland-not-ready-british-open-return

QuoteThe Open will not -- and should not -- return to Northern Ireland.

The sectarian intransigence that ignites the summer riot season is just as ingrained in Northern Ireland today as it was 19 years ago when ceasefires ended the most violent phase of the conflict. That is not going to change anytime soon, and the promise of seeing the world's best country clubbers play ball isn't likely to dissuade rioters from taking to the streets.

Rather it would serve only to provide an even bigger captive audience for this annual farce as shiftless thugs who think a sand wedge involves two slices of bread fight skirmishes of ever-diminishing relevance.

Perhaps someday we'll see balls in the air in July at Royal Portrush, but not soon. Not while McDowell is competitive, and perhaps not even while McIlroy is. And certainly not while petrol bombs and incendiary politicking already occupy all the available airspace.

Tony Baloney

It's a bit of craic and PP are paying e/w on 7 places so there is a decent chance of making a few quid.

thewobbler

I'd have thought the same a few years ago.

But I don't punt in order to keep a pool of money alive in my account, and as someone who prefers to do £3-£5ew bets at big prices, rather than larger bets at smaller odds, golf is my preferred choice for handing money over these days.

Realistically 30+ competitors can win this weekend. But that's why someone as consistent as Martin Laird is available at 110/1. Translate that into the Grand National type odds and he'd be 25/1.

Puckoon

I miss betting on golf. There's no each way betting system here for it, so you've just got to go straight up. No value.

bridgegael

has anyone on here won money in each of the last three majors?? if so who you going for this time??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

harlechman

Bet Victor paying 8 places at 1/4 the odds. They're subsequently a few points shorter than most bookies on most players but the extra place is ample compensation.

Orior

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 17, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Absolutlely brutal article here

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/northern-ireland-not-ready-british-open-return

QuoteThe Open will not -- and should not -- return to Northern Ireland.

The sectarian intransigence that ignites the summer riot season is just as ingrained in Northern Ireland today as it was 19 years ago when ceasefires ended the most violent phase of the conflict. That is not going to change anytime soon, and the promise of seeing the world's best country clubbers play ball isn't likely to dissuade rioters from taking to the streets.

Rather it would serve only to provide an even bigger captive audience for this annual farce as shiftless thugs who think a sand wedge involves two slices of bread fight skirmishes of ever-diminishing relevance.

Perhaps someday we'll see balls in the air in July at Royal Portrush, but not soon. Not while McDowell is competitive, and perhaps not even while McIlroy is. And certainly not while petrol bombs and incendiary politicking already occupy all the available airspace.

Oh dear. Eamon Lynch will be up there now along with Holly, aged 7, from Kent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

I believe he was on Radio Ulster today being called a traitor to Northern Ireland

laoislad

Quote from: Rossie11 on July 17, 2013, 10:36:01 AM
How so? All you need it 2-3 wins per season and you will break even. Unlike horse racing you know
that the guys are trying to win every week.

Feels a bit pointless backing Lee Westwood to win a major! He's cost me a fortune at this stage.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gabriel_Hurl

the one time you don't back him is when he'll win - just watch