Derry v Cavan

Started by HiMucker, July 15, 2013, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

Hats off to to the Breiffne. No doubt about it, it's been a good year.

Hopefully we'll have another shocker tomorrow in Clones.  8)

bottom brick

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 08:26:30 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 20, 2013, 08:14:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 20, 2013, 07:47:22 PM
I underrated Cavan and overrated Derry. With a bye in round four the very best of luck to Cavan in the quarter finals.

Perhaps the daftest thing you've typed. London would be licking their lips at the prodpect of Cavan being between them an an AIQF. London can easily give Cavan a game.

Not Daft. Mayo will soften up London and they have to play a Cavan side on a high in six days time.

I highly doubt London will be particularly crestfallen about losing a match everyone expects them to be hammered in. Beware the underrated team team playing an over-rated one. Cavan have improved but not by so much thry can afford to sleep on London.

Have you gone mental? Who exactly over-rated Cavan? London might be happier to draw Cavan than Tyrone but ive been watching London all year (living here) and how they have made a Connacht final amazes me. Their league record this year reads played 7, lost 6, won one.IN DIVISION 4!! Only in Connacht could a team like that reach the final. What makes you think they can beat Cavan? Their annihalation of the mighty Leitrim? Sorry, they barely scraped through a replay. Every team in Ulster could make a Connacht final if they were on the opposite side of the draw to Mayo. We have beaten a few good teams this year when everybody said we didn't have a chance. Do you honestly think London are underated?  By who? It might make you feel good to think that they stand a chance against any reasonably organised county team, even though they have been outscored in the second half of almost every game this year, it still doesn't change the fact that Mayo will probably put up a good argument for an open draw championship when they get their hands on them in the final. You're either a WUM or an idiot
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

Denn Forever

Quote from: babarino on July 21, 2013, 12:21:31 AM

We are all hoping that.  Remember to wear plenty of Sunscreen.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 21, 2013, 08:12:49 AM
Quote from: babarino on July 21, 2013, 12:21:31 AM

We are all hoping that.  Remember to wear plenty of Sunscreen.

Im not.

lynchbhoy

mciver might be bitter- but a manager who pours his heart and soul into a team is never going to be a 'good loser' (imo they dont exist - or shouldnt).

deegan has never been good to Derry as a ref, but most refs get it wrong at times. Cavan this season have fouled a lot, so frees at the end are no surprise.
However, Deegan didnt score 16 points for Cavan in normal time -Derry defence must be questioned. While it was a great day for scoring fotbal, Cavan never found it as easy scoring against every other team they played this summer.
Derry need to address defensive frailties in order to compete and get to the top table.
No disrespect to Cavan, but they are a very young team in the initial stages of finding their way.
Yes Derry are a young team with new manager also, but Cavan have had to revolutionise their squad, play everything and as a lot of the Cavan lads on here and my own Cavan friends say - this is bonus territory now.
Good luck to them and I hope this experience stands to them in the future. They will have their best player available to them again next year also (Midfielder McKiernan I think his name is) - lost through inj.

Despite being sick of losing again, I'm delighted with a great championship season and Cavan v London must be played in croke park.

mylestheslasher

Lynchboy - we found scoring against Armagh pretty easy and in fairness a lot of our points yesterday were superb long range efforts, very few I'd call easy. I think the quality of the shooting from both teams was top class and I think you are wrong to focus on the defence. It came down to who won most possession in the middle and we just shaded that. If McCloskey was there it may have been different.

As for the ref, yes ye should have had a peno but for me he gave Derry some of the softest frees I've seen in a while including the one that put you a point up in injury time and another given for a perfect tackle in front of the posts by Ronan Flanagan. I don't think he was against any team, just poor enough and I think over the game it evened out.

Derry are still a good team and Div 1 next year will be a big help to their development.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 21, 2013, 10:49:56 AM
Lynchboy - we found scoring against Armagh pretty easy and in fairness a lot of our points yesterday were superb long range efforts, very few I'd call easy. I think the quality of the shooting from both teams was top class and I think you are wrong to focus on the defence. It came down to who won most possession in the middle and we just shaded that. If McCloskey was there it may have been different.

As for the ref, yes ye should have had a peno but for me he gave Derry some of the softest frees I've seen in a while including the one that put you a point up in injury time and another given for a perfect tackle in front of the posts by Ronan Flanagan. I don't think he was against any team, just poor enough and I think over the game it evened out.

Derry are still a good team and Div 1 next year will be a big help to their development.
In fairness, Cavan pulled away at the end from a completely disorganised armagh side, and from what I saw wathing it on telly, the scoring was far from comfortable- with young dunne very close to being taken off for a litany of wides before he hit one and then found confidence.It was far from a good shooting display against a shocking armagh side.
Same v Monaghan imo. First day v Farmanagh was no great shakes in scoring stakes - and I cant reme the second day v fermanagh.
imo from what I saw on telly.
Cant put it down to PJ beng missing. You lads are missing mckiernan.
Derry have conceeded 2-15 v down though improved the second day. 0-9 v a disasterous in-fighting Sligo wasnt brilliant and yesterday 0-16 is shocking to concede - apologies if you think this denigrates a good cavan performance, but for me the Derry defencive system is not at the races this season. Look at the league final concession against a mediocre westmeath attack also.

deegan has always been a poor enough ref. Cavan though have a problem in fouling too much to close to goals in all the games I've seen this season so far.

Derry are potentially a good team, but a long way to go. A big step up is required in strategy or we wont be in Div 1 too long. Cavan going nicely witha lot more young lads to come in. Plus McKiernan and maybe you'll get a job in Liberty for Mulvey - they are hiring!

rodney trotter

Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2013, 12:12:59 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 16, 2013, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on July 16, 2013, 06:39:32 PM
Derry will win this easy enough.
Cavan are nothing special at all, easy draw for Derry.

Really? I thought Cavan looked good in the few games i've seen them this year, they have been tipping along nicely at underage level last few seasons too. Some fairly intense workrate from what i've seen and some nice footballers to boot. Hard game to call but i reckon it will go to Cavan, tbh.

no chance that cavan will beat derry in celtic park.  only wish that tyrone had got this draw.

Great Call 8)

Shamrock Shore

Well done Cavan.

Delighted to see the lads from the north of us doing so well.

I think an AIQ is now on the cards. Smashing.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2013, 11:15:12 AM

In fairness, Cavan pulled away at the end from a completely disorganised armagh side, and from what I saw wathing it on telly, the scoring was far from comfortable- with young dunne very close to being taken off for a litany of wides before he hit one and then found confidence.It was far from a good shooting display against a shocking armagh side.
Same v Monaghan imo. First day v Farmanagh was no great shakes in scoring stakes - and I cant reme the second day v fermanagh.
Derry have conceeded 2-15 v down though improved the second day. 0-9 v a disasterous in-fighting Sligo wasnt brilliant and yesterday 0-16 is shocking to concede - apologies if you think this denigrates a good cavan performance, but for me the Derry defencive system is not at the races this season. Look at the league final concession against a mediocre westmeath attack also.

deegan has always been a poor enough ref. Cavan though have a problem in fouling too much to close to goals in all the games I've seen this season so far.

Derry are potentially a good team, but a long way to go. A big step up is required in strategy or we wont be in Div 1 too long. Cavan going nicely witha lot more young lads to come in. Plus McKiernan and maybe you'll get a job in Liberty for Mulvey - they are hiring!

When i was referring to great shooting display from both teams it was yesterdays game I was talking about. My point is that defensive systems are all well and good but with a dry ball, massive energy sapping heat etc they defensive system is very hard to make effective as it is easier to score from out the field. Yesterday there were a large proportion of points scored from 45 meters and out near the sideline. Getting men back is no good against that. Cavan have been very disciplined in the backs this year so you are wrong to say we give away to many frees in scorable areas the exception was yesterday where we were under a lot of pressure from Derrys runners and did concede much more frees than normal. That said Derrys freetaking was incredible, any free inside 50 meters was scored bar one. So it transpired that whoever got possession was getting a score, turnovers were few and far between (something that Cavan have been very good at up to this) and so it was a shoot out. Before the game if someone said that it would be a straight shoot out you'd have said Derry but incredibly it was us that did it with scores coming from all around the team including two each for two 19 years olds just out of minor. From a Cavan development perspective this was a huge result and the confidence the lads will take from it is worth its weight in gold. I still think Derry are a good team and with some effort will stick it out in Div 1.

Westside

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2013, 11:15:12 AM

Are you talking about the same Armagh game as I was at? Cavan didn't "pull away" at the end. We were hammering Armagh, they staged a comeback and we got our noses in front again at the end to win by 4.
Dunne missed a handy free and kicked a wide before he caught fire v Armagh, it would be stretching it in the extreme to call it a litany of wides and there was absolutely no chance in the world that he was going to be taken off in the first half, that's a nothing statement.

Our wides cost us v Monaghan, when the game was there to be won Keating kicked two wides that he should never have taken on and Givney had another, it was partially down to the fact that Monaghan were defending brilliantly. We aren't set up to rack up massive scores but I was pleasantly surprised to win a shoot out yesterday, 1-14 against a good Division 3 side last week and 18 points (with a further 1-4 in extra time) against the Division 2 winners isn't bad going at all.

lynchbhoy

Cavan won the first half v Armagh but lost most of the second and tacked on a couple of points to pull clear at the end after being level at one stage iirc.

Monaghan didnt allow Cavan room in attack to score - which is my point to Myles. In that game and against Fermanagh Cavan have away frees in defense each time a man ran at them.

That's all I'm saying.
They are not set up for high scoring - agreed, that is also another of my points.

Aristo 60

Fair play to Cavan. They have Aristo 60's support for the rest of the year. Didn't think my two Cootehill cousins would get a longer run in the championship this year than us.

INDIANA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2013, 12:57:14 PM
Cavan won the first half v Armagh but lost most of the second and tacked on a couple of points to pull clear at the end after being level at one stage iirc.

Monaghan didnt allow Cavan room in attack to score - which is my point to Myles. In that game and against Fermanagh Cavan have away frees in defense each time a man ran at them.

That's all I'm saying.
They are not set up for high scoring - agreed, that is also another of my points.

I think you're being unfair to them. 1-22 is some scoring any day these days at county level.

lynchbhoy

It's fantastic scoring Indy - my issue is that Derry are conceding big scores too often!