Typical Kerry sour grapes... whinge when beaten

Started by HalfFitHalfBack, April 03, 2007, 05:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfFitHalfBack

Typical nonsense from Kerry after being beaten. The last sentence is hilarious, from the county home to a full forward that gets a red card in every game he plays.

They must be soft in Kerry, when the going gets tough the Kerry folk hide and cry.

Croke's say tie left 'sour taste' 

Skipper Oisin McConville holds aloft the Andy Merrigan Cup
Dr Croke's have ruled out appealing against Crossmaglen's AIB All-Ireland Club Football final triumph on Sunday.
There was controversy when Cross's John McEntee was allowed to play on despite getting a second yellow card.

But the club will be submitting a complaint to the GAA concerning incidents during and after the game that had left "a sour taste".

"The club is bitter about what went on, far more so than on the yellow card," said chairman Patrick O'Sullivan.

"I've had a lot of parents on to me expressing their disgust, and looking for action from the GAA," the Hogan Stand website reports.

"We had 40 kids there on Sunday, and it was a poor advert for the GAA."

In the letter, Dr Croke's will highlight how two of their substitutes were allegedly intimidated at the interval.

Croke's will also say that midfielder Ambrose O'Donovan was allegedly struck on the head by a Crossmalgen female supporter after being sent off.

The Kerry club also allege that the Gardai had to twice intervene to stop other Croke's substitutes sitting in the stand being threatened by fans.

"If this is the kind of antics that Crossmaglen are going to bring to the game, then it is little wonder that Ulster football gets so much bad publicity."

Bord na Mona man

Whatever about the whingeing, there is no excuse for that kind of behaviour from fans.
My experience of Crossmaglen is that there is a bit more of and 'edge' to some of their followers and I'm less surprised that it seems that it was their fans who were causing this kind of trouble.

The Real Laoislad

It must have been Laois people in watching it isn't that right pintsofguinness ::)   
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

QuoteIt must have been Laois people in watching it isn't that right pintsofguinness
;D

I can't say I'm really surprised at the allegations either but Croke's should let it lie, they're making themselves look silly. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 03, 2007, 07:29:14 PM
So when Kerry fans start responding in Kind will you label the Armagh complaints as whinging ? Its never ceases to amaze how you lads feel you can provoke us and expect no response. First on the field and now off it.

Kerry knew how to play dirty before Armagh ever did, they were famous for starting rows when they were getting it up them, Dublin did the same. The fact of the matter is Sheedy that Crokes lost because they were outmatched, Cross were the better team and got what they deserved, Crokes should have accepted defeat instead of hiding behind 40 children that were at the game.

If they want to appeal, then appeal on the merits and dont use children as an excuse for your pathetic appeal. :-*
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

johnpower

halfwit .Everyone has the right to appeal complain ,criticise and give out . My own view is that the Crokes should just let it go ?, The issue with the 2 yellow cards has happened before and will probalby happen again .Unfourtuneatly when tensions run high the segragation of fans and players is not always the best with this happening I recall in 2005 in Croke Park .The GAA must learn from Sunday .Who knows your team maybe complaining next

corn02

Cross fans have a tendancy to be ignorant dogs alright.

Fear ón Srath Bán

At the back of it all, the Cross winning margin was just too great to allow for any doubt as to the eventual result of this game.  As Nicky Brennan himself said today that the two yellow cards were 'unfortunate', but that he didn't think they materially affected the result (and there's also the possibility that the referee would have merely ticked John Mc Entee the 2nd time had he realised he'd already yellow carded him).  Crokes should just let it go, they're doing themselves no favours.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

And so it goes on:

Crossmaglen hit back at Croke's

Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh
Murtagh says Francie Bellew and Paul Kernan were punched
Crossmaglen boss Donal Murtagh has hit back after Dr Croke's said they would submit a complaint about incidents in Sunday's All-Ireland Club final replay.

Murtagh has rubbished the claim that a Crossmaglen official had intimidated Croke's substitutes at half-time in the game at Portlaoise.

The Cross boss also rejected claims that his team had targeted Colm Cooper, Eoin Brosnan and Kieran O'Leary.

"Any cynical tackling in the game came from Croke's," Murtagh told the BBC.

"I sent out the team to mark 15 players, to do a job. I told Paul Kernan to keep tight on Cooper but all the players got the instruction to stay tight on their men, in particular the backs.

"The theory that we were targeting O'Leary, Brosnan and Cooper is utter nonsense.

"David McKenna was dragged down twice when he was going through for a score and one of the tackles was very high around the neck.

"I know if the tackle had been done by Francie Bellew, he would have got a straight red card.

There seems to be a new complaint every time I get called by a journalist
Donal Murtagh

"Also, we didn't complain about Francie Bellew getting kicked in the head in the first half when he was left with a cut above his left eye."

Murtagh also said that both Paul Kernan and Bellew had been punched in other incidents during the game.

"We didn't complain about those incidents after the game because as far as I'm concerned, what happens on the field, stays on the field."

However, Murtagh has now felt compelled to hit back in the row after hearing a "whole series" of complaints from Dr Croke's chairman Patrick O'Sullivan.

"It all sounds like sour grapes to me. There seems to be a new complaint every time I get called by a journalist. I don't know where it's all coming from.

"It was a tough physical game. That's what you get in an All-Ireland. We're well used to it and we know what to expect."

The referee said to John McEntee:'I didn't mean to give you the first booking'
Donal Murtagh

Croke's chairman O'Sullivan also claimed that the Kerry club's midfielder Ambrose O'Donovan had been struck by a Crossmaglen fan after being sent off in Sunday's decider.

Murtagh said that he "didn't know" whether Cross spectators had been involved in any incidents but he added that the club's supporters "have always had a good reputation".

"All I can say is that my players are disciplined and we proved over the last 11 years that we have a very disciplined support as well.

"If anyone is to blame, it's the GAA because of their policy of putting subs out among supporters. That is an accident waiting to happen but I can only speak for my players."

In relation to the controversy surrounding John McEntee staying on the field despite his two yellow cards, Murtagh told BBC Sport that referee Eugene Murtagh apparently gave the player the first caution by mistake.

"The referee said to John McEntee:'I didn't mean to give you the first booking. You're lucky to stay on the field but I didn't mean to give you the first card'.

"When John came off, he told us that he hadn't got two yellows but a yellow and a tick.

"We told him that he had got two yellows but he told us that the referee had not meant to give him the first yellow card."

Skipper Oisin McConville holds the Andy Merrigan Cup aloft after Crossmaglen's win at Portlaoise
Skipper Oisin McConville holds aloft the Andy Merrigan Cup

Murtagh acknowledged that he was "guilty" of not visiting the Dr Croke's dressing-room after the game.

"I was caught up with everything after the game and by the time I'd dealt with the media and got to to speak to my team, it was practically an hour after the game.

"I went into the St Brigid's dressing-room after the (All-Ireland) semi-final. Some of the players had showered. Some of them were gone. Some others were sitting around and the last person they wanted to see was me.

"In that situation, it's hard not to patronise the opposing team."

Despite the post-match controversy, Dr Croke's have ruled out appealing against Crossmaglen's win.

But the club will be submitting a complaint to the GAA concerning incidents during and after the game that had left "a sour taste".

"I've had a lot of parents on to me expressing their disgust, and looking for action from the GAA," said club chairman Patrick O'Sullivan.

The Kerry club allege that the Gardai had to twice intervene to stop other Croke's substitutes sitting in the stand being threatened by fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6523593.stm ("moronic cretins"  ;))
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

HalfFitHalfBack

Every club has bad supporters. Every county has bad supporters. The bigger your support, the more bad supporters you will have. I think everyone would agree on that. I've encountered many foul mouthed, bad tempered, ignorant fans in my years attending matches. I've met a few Kerry supporters who meet that description - doesn't mean I would assume that to be representative of the entire county never mind a province.

The Dr Croke's club have every right to express grievances... but they have no right to make sweeping generalisations about an entire province.

Such moronic statements do nothing for the image of the GAA, especially when released to our good friends at the BBC. In fact what kind of a ignoramus would make such a statement? The Croke's must be really hard up for a spokesperson when they allow somebody to utter such nonsense.

In my opinion it is nothing more than sour grapes. They lost to the greatest club team of this generation - no shame in that.

armaghniac

However as Big Joe has noted before, they should just allocate seats within striking distance of the subs bench to the club using that bench. It is quite likely that the headcase class of opposing fan might make a beeline for those very seats.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on April 03, 2007, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 03, 2007, 07:29:14 PM
So when Kerry fans start responding in Kind will you label the Armagh complaints as whinging ? Its never ceases to amaze how you lads feel you can provoke us and expect no response. First on the field and now off it.

Kerry knew how to play dirty before Armagh ever did, they were famous for starting rows when they were getting it up them, Dublin did the same. The fact of the matter is Sheedy that Crokes lost because they were outmatched, Cross were the better team and got what they deserved, Crokes should have accepted defeat instead of hiding behind 40 children that were at the game.

If they want to appeal, then appeal on the merits and dont use children as an excuse for your pathetic appeal. :-*

:D

Don't ever change kid!!    ;)

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI've met a few Kerry supporters who meet that description - doesn't mean I would assume that to be representative of the entire county never mind a province.

So you start a thread generalizing about Kerry  based on what the officials of Dr Crokes say.....

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIf they want to appeal, then appeal on the merits and dont use children as an excuse for your pathetic appeal

What part of the following statements from the above articles don't you understand

QuoteDr Croke's have ruled out appealing against Crossmaglen's AIB All-Ireland Club Football final triumph on Sunday

and

QuoteDespite the post-match controversy, Dr Croke's have ruled out appealing against Crossmaglen's win.

..and its sheehy not sheedy ffs....are you Ulster bies thick or what ?

sureyouwill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 04, 2007, 03:01:24 AM
also, on another issue, this talk of Cross being the best club side ever is a bit irksome.

Would the weak nature of the Armagh Championship not take away from their achievement somewhat ? What is it ....11 count championships in a row ? that is unprecedented. If a club team like Crokes got 11 cracks of the whip in a row, then I'm sure they'd have gotten out of Munster on 4 or 5 occasions. I'm sure the experience gained would have stood to them on Sunday.

Or does this kind of logic only apply to the Munster Football Championship ? ..just curious like ...

also, on another issue, this talk of Kerry being the best county side ever is a bit irksome.

Would the weak nature of the Munster Championship not take away from their achievement somewhat ? What is it ....71 provincial championships ? that is unprecedented. If a county team like Armagh/Tyrone/Down etc got 71 cracks of the whip , then I'm sure they'd have gotten to all-ireland fiinals on 34 or 35 occasions.

Or does this kind of logic only apply to the Armagh / Ulster Club Championship? ..just curious like ...   

FFS - ever hear the phrase credit where credit's due ::) ::)