Typical Kerry sour grapes... whinge when beaten

Started by HalfFitHalfBack, April 03, 2007, 05:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfFitHalfBack

I was being ironic Mike Sheehy - thought most people would have got that... and I suppose a bit of me also chose that title to provoke a reaction - the same reaction that the silly Croke's statement provoked in me.

BTW, if Crossmaglen had been beaten year in year out in the Ulster championship after winning the 11 Armagh championships then it would be a poor reflection on Armagh football. However Cross have also picked up 5 or 6 Ulster titles and 4 All Ireland titles, is that a poor reflection on the state of club football all over Ireland?

As I said before, no shame in Dr Croke's losing to the greatest club team of this generation, and one of the greatest club teams of all time.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SlimShady

apparently nobody from the Cross camp went into the Crokes changing room after the game either. I dont read too much into the rest of the crap about intimidation and the like but not going into the opposition after the game isnt good.

brokencrossbar1

Mike Sheehy, whatever about the championship in Armagh being weak, at least we won it to make the provincials.

I will let the media and veiwing public decide if we are the best team ever, I will however post a few facts for you.

From June 1995 to October 1997 we were unbeaten in all games, competitive or challenge match which included a few against county teams.  I think the run was at least 60 games without defeat and very few draws in there.  

From 1996 to this year we have played in 20 championship finals at county, provincial and national level winning every single one.  To be unbeaten in finals is something very few teams could argue against.

We are not just a championship team, we won at least 3 maybe 4 leagues during that period of time in Armagh.  

In 2000 we played a challenge match against a full strenght Kildare team and only for 3 fantastic saves by their keeper we would have won it easily.  The great Micko came into the dressing room after the game and said we were the greatest club side he had ever seen.  Even taking everything he says with a pinch of salt, that sort of praise is noteworthy.

Our players have played a major part in the most successful Armagh team ever, which may not seem much to the great Kerry men like yourself but in the grander scheme mean a lot to many others.

At a time when football is at its most competitive, we have been able to sustain a level of commitment and performance which to you average observer is phenomenal.  We have an insatiable desire to be the best and make history and that is why we have achieved as much as we have.

In respect of the incidents from Sunday, I did not see any of the sideline incidents and only have second hand knowledge of one or two things.  There was no intimidation of any subs as they were warming up.  There may have been a bit of sledging a la any sport, but nothing more nothing less.  I recall being marked by the Laune Rangers full back in 1997, Paudie Sheehan I think his name was, when I was subjected to similar shit talk from the sideline and a punch in the ear from him the first ball I went for.  It happens in every game and is part and partial of evry team and county.

Donal should have gone into the dressing room but he didn't.  Having known the man for 20years and his general approach to things, he is extremely mannerly and would feel genuinely annoyed about this.  He gave a very valid reason getting caught up in everything.  I have never known it ever to happen that one of our club representatives ever did this before.  It has happened against us on a few occassions but you get on with things and deal with it, not run to the press with every little gripe you have.

The incidents that happened during the match have been played out ad naseum and no matter what is said or done at this stage, the history books will simply say 2007 All Ireland Club Champions Crossmaglen Rangers.  We won it by being the best team and all the whinges and complaints that the Crokes club provide will never take away from the fact that in an hours football they could only register 6 scores on the board.  If Cross were as dirty and cynical as is being alleged, then surely there would have been more scorable frees as opposed to the 2 that the Gooch scored.

Time to move on and accept taht the game is over and a new season is beginning.

full back

I hear Crokes are going to mention 2 of their subs being 'intimidated' by the water carrier at the end of the 1st half
Who was this tight b**tard?

thejuice

I sick of people going on about "there were kids at the game, bad example blah blah blah". Really annoys me when people use that to demonise their opponents.

Crokes need to shut up. ye'd swear there was never a punch or a kick thrown in a GAA match before or that they're all saints them selves. they've really brought a sour athmosphere over the Club Final. If theres an issue for the refereeing and the GAA to sort out.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Uladh

It's difficult to say that sunday's team is the best club team ever given the changes from the previous all irelands. i'd certainly agree that hearty, francie, the twins and oisin are some of the greatest club players of all time. outside of those lads its a different team so i don't think the previous all irelands can all be added to this current team. however, the achievement of the lads above is truely phenomenal.

bc - i'd also disagree that cross players have backboned that great armagh team. While obviously francie and john mc were as important as anyone and oisin vital, its a bit of a stretch to say that cross backboned the team.

There's no merit in the crokes taking this line. it doesn't take away from cross's achievements in any way, it only serves to sour their own image. whilst i'd agree that cross supporters are probably the most "boisterous" you'll come across in club football, and maybe not the most magnanamous, every club has that type of supporter to varying degrees. i wasn't far from the crokes subs myself and never saw any interaction with them and the crowd. obviously i'm not saying it didn't happen but if it had been anything out of the ordinary, it'd surely have been more obvious.

brokencrossbar1

Ok Uladh just to keep you happy I'll edit it to say they played a major role as opposed to backboned.  You cannot argu with that now :P

Uladh

On the contrary, i could argue with Ghandi over buns on a fast day

magpie seanie

Firstly I'd like to say that to say complaining about defeat is "typical Kerry sour grapes" is wide of the mark. They are one county I've found who take their defeats better than most.

Secondly I find it hard to have much sympathy for Dr. Crokes after witnessing some of the carry on by their players in the Kerry final in 2005. One dirty cowardly strike on Maurice Fitzgerald from behind sticks in my mind. The perpetrator (who came on in the drawn game AI final - didn't see the replay) was playing corner back and ran away up to corner forward after doing it.

It's tough losing a big final like that. Crossmaglen, like Armagh at their prime, are just exceptionally good at winning championship matches. Cooper (Colm) was magnificent throughout the campaign but unfortunately for Crokes his missed pen was the turning point.

rosnarun

if Cross had any sense of fair play the would offer a replay when one of their players stayed on after being shown the second yellow.  Decenecy demands it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full back

Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2007, 10:51:38 AM
if Cross had any sense of fair play the would offer a replay when one of their players stayed on after being shown the second yellow.  Decenecy demands it

The referee has already been quoted as saying he didnt mean to book Mc Entee the 1st time (just meant to tick him).
Therefore he was correct in letting him stay on the field.
BTW what's it like in paradise rosnarun?

thebandit

If there's any suggestion that Kerry teams are bad losers, I'd like to remind people of Páidí Ó Sé's magnanimous nature after AIF 2002.

People can argue until the cows come home, John Mc should have walked, Cooper pushed Paul Kernan, Francie got kicked etc etc ad nauseum.

Fact is that Cross are the 2007 AI Club champions and deservedly so. The players might have changed but the mentality hasn't, i.e. for Califf read Skinny McKeown, BC1 = Johnny Hanratty. While the individuals involved are undoubtedly outstanding club players, the system and belief are key to the success.

Surely Óisín must be one of the greatest club players of all time.

corn02

By the way BC, Did I read that you got the transfer through?

realredhandfan

I think Oisins the MVP in Armagh Gaelic football history.  An absolute legend albeit without the frills.