Repairing BT line - HELP

Started by pullhard, July 13, 2013, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

So I was cutting the hedge this morn, and I partially cut the outside BT line, the phones not working but the broadband is kind of working.
I need to fix this before the bird finds out. BT I imagine will charge an arm and leg, Can this be done myself? I was going to wing it, but the bt wires are so thin,  I also looked at scotchlok stuff, any good?,  any other ideas?

laoislad

just strip it back a bit with a Stanley knife and re join the cables. I would presume its a multi core cable so just match the colours or numbered cables back up and throw some insulating tape around it.
Twill be grand.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

Like the man said. You can buy all the fancy joiners later.

pullhard

aye there looks to be 6 cables. I would normally do this but the cables are super fine and I dont have a lot of slack to work with might give it a bash!

laoislad

Quote from: pullhard on July 13, 2013, 04:28:31 PM
aye there looks to be 6 cables. I would normally do this but the cables are super fine and I dont have a lot of slack to work with might give it a bash!

That's why you should strip it back a bit to give you more slack.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

pullhard

Cheers LL. Pull the flex back for a look, there is 4 mixed colours (I'll connect these together) and three yellow wires and woolly stuff. what's the deal with the 3 yellow?

Itchy

Connect up all the wires. In reality though probably only 2 are being used. If you want to check which 2 have a look in the junction box at the side of your house.

pullhard

it did it everything seems to be grand, cut out the damaged section. The three yellow don't seem to do much, so i just cut them out. twisted and taped them. Great job thanks gents

omagh_gael

Going to hijack this thread. I have three phone sockets in the house. The main BT one and two extras which are dead at the minute. How much will BT charge to activate one of the 'dead' ones? Also, are there alternatives to BT engineers?

DickyRock

Anything from the outside to the main BT socket is their "property" - you are free to do the internal sockets yourself or get an electrician to do it.

Have you checked the wiring in the sockets?

omagh_gael

Here is a pic of one of one of the sockets:

omagh_gael

armaghniac

If the main BT socket is dead (and you didn't obviously wreck it yourself), then just call BT and they'll test it remotely and come out and fix it.

Test that it is dead by plugging a plain phone directly into the main socket having disconnected everything else. Also ring yourself (from a mobile) and see if you get an out of order tone or a ringng tone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DickyRock

Was in middle of replying & laptop died. Posting on phone

What type of master socket have you?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml

If it is the NTE5 then screw off the lower half and carefully pull out. There is a connection block there. Check that wire colours to numbers match that of the extension socket.

Also a check that wires in master & extension are tight. Don't push in with a screw driver as it may push the blades out and not give you a connection.

If that doesn't throw up any problems I would check the wiring by doing a continuity test using a multi meter. If it is beyond you I would ask a sparkie or check with bt. BT probably going to be expensive though.

DickyRock

Just reading the post by armaghniac and want to check - is the main socket working.