Kerry v Cork, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 7th of July 2013, MSFC Final

Started by CorkMan, July 01, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Quote from: Zulu on July 08, 2013, 04:06:35 PM
Quotehe certainly won the ball well, but referees have been told to give a free should this be done with the 'far' arm swinging in.

That's not in the rule book so it can't have been a free. Duffy was totally wrong but it's to be expected at this stage.

I think players are encouraged to use the near hand tackle because if you use the 'far' hand, the near hand usually goes on the back of the player being tackled. The Gooch didn't go near Loughreys  back in that tackle yesterday so it was obviously the wrong call.

CorkMan

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 08, 2013, 02:39:29 PM
John Bannon writes in today's paper. Both sets of supporters were annoyed at the man in black yesterday and the second biggest cheer of the day (the biggest greeted the announcement that the Cork team contained some changes from that in the programme) came when Eoin Brosnan in his acceptance speech thanked the best referee in Ireland for his performance.

I think the cheer was because (or it was from me and everyone around me, anyway) the realisation dawned on people that Noel O'Leary would be marking Galvin.

AQMP

Quote from: CorkMan on July 08, 2013, 04:18:51 PM
Quotehe certainly won the ball well, but referees have been told to give a free should this be done with the 'far' arm swinging in.

That's not in the rule book so it can't have been a free. Duffy was totally wrong but it's to be expected at this stage.

I think players are encouraged to use the near hand tackle because if you use the 'far' hand, the near hand usually goes on the back of the player being tackled. The Gooch didn't go near Loughreys  back in that tackle yesterday so it was obviously the wrong call.

Judging by the hand signals Duffy was making my guess is he thought that Gooch had punched the ball out of Loughery's hand??

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 08, 2013, 02:52:40 PM
on that cooper tackle.
he certainly won the ball well, but referees have been told to give a free should this be done with the 'far' arm swinging in.
If cooper had dispossessed the guy by using his 'near arm' then he wouldnt have been penalised.
its a bit of a silly rule, and I am not sure when and where it came in, but I have seen this being blown in even the lowest of divisions in the Dublin leagues.

I wonder if Paul Galvin will get a retrospective ban for punching Noel oleary in the face off the ball yesterday?
No doubt that oleary prob 'deserved' it -but the cameras caught Galvin doin it while Canty was tussling for the ball with a kerry player (Walsh?) nearer the camera.

a bit later on, I think Oleary got a yellow for what I thought was landing with hs foot on Galvins head or back (hard to tell) in an act of later retaliation imo.

those two need a camera following them for the entire game. it would make interesting viewing!

anyhow, luckily enough Anthony Tohill was not on the sunday game panel last nigt to highlight this and cause a furore in Kerry!
Still think that given previous precedent, there could be a ban for Galvin in this !

O'Leary deserved that and more.
Every time they mark each other the aggression ratio is 70:30 with O'Leary acting the maggot non-stop.
Along with Canty, he's another player that Cork need to move on from.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: AQMP on July 08, 2013, 04:23:31 PM
Judging by the hand signals Duffy was making my guess is he thought that Gooch had punched the ball out of Loughery's hand??

He thought !!!!
That's some way to Ref a game. ::) ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bcarrier

Gooch should have been booked for his protest to Duffy. That kind of rant at a referee is just not on - even when the ref is wrong.

Galvin is way more sinned against than sinner in these times..O'Leary was at him from the off. Give a dog a bad name etc etc.

Cadogan got a real roasting yesterday..may have been carrying an injury but struggled for pace ( as did the rest of Cork full back line).

rodney trotter

It was a surprise to see Ciaran Sheehan on the bench,he was very impressive when he came out. Thought he would have been an obvious starter especially since Colm O Neill is injured.
Loughrey has been a good addition for Cork.

camanchero

Swinging the arm in is deemed to be akin to swinging a punch - so it was a free irrespective.

Clubs and refs have been told about his in Dublin at least

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2013, 04:47:07 PM

He thought !!!!

You realise that the ref deals with incidents in real time, right?? He acts based on what he thinks happened, how else would you propose he refs the game??

sam03/05

Cork have a woeful manager, with no tactical know how at all.
If they had someone like McGuiness or Harte they would have won five All Ireland's with the players they have at their disposal.
A lucky All Ireland win against one of the worst teams to reach a final in the last twenty years, is all they have to show despite having an abundance of talent.

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2013, 06:14:38 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2013, 04:47:07 PM

He thought !!!!

He acts based on what he thinks happened, how else would you propose he refs the game??
Ref it as he SEES it perhaps ?? If he didn't SEE Cooper use an illegal method of dispossessing the Cork lad how can he give a free??
The "what he thinks happens" is straight from the Sludden school of reffing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on July 08, 2013, 04:38:35 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 08, 2013, 02:52:40 PM
on that cooper tackle.
he certainly won the ball well, but referees have been told to give a free should this be done with the 'far' arm swinging in.
If cooper had dispossessed the guy by using his 'near arm' then he wouldnt have been penalised.
its a bit of a silly rule, and I am not sure when and where it came in, but I have seen this being blown in even the lowest of divisions in the Dublin leagues.

I wonder if Paul Galvin will get a retrospective ban for punching Noel oleary in the face off the ball yesterday?
No doubt that oleary prob 'deserved' it -but the cameras caught Galvin doin it while Canty was tussling for the ball with a kerry player (Walsh?) nearer the camera.

a bit later on, I think Oleary got a yellow for what I thought was landing with hs foot on Galvins head or back (hard to tell) in an act of later retaliation imo.

those two need a camera following them for the entire game. it would make interesting viewing!

anyhow, luckily enough Anthony Tohill was not on the sunday game panel last nigt to highlight this and cause a furore in Kerry!
Still think that given previous precedent, there could be a ban for Galvin in this !

O'Leary deserved that and more.
Every time they mark each other the aggression ratio is 70:30 with O'Leary acting the maggot non-stop.
Along with Canty, he's another player that Cork need to move on from.
O'Leary blighted the game with his antics.
Galvin's behaviour was almost angelic, until O'Leary arrived on his radar.

Mike Sheehy

Galvin is no saint but it should have been obvious that O'Leary,as the defender, has always had a more vested interest in this tangling and off-the-ball craic.

muppet

O'Leary is a vital player.

In 2011 we were being hammered until a late hit by Aiden O'Shea on O'Leary brought the crowd to their feet and we turned it around from there.

I hope he starts from now on.
MWWSI 2017

camanchero

Quote from: sam03/05 on July 08, 2013, 06:31:48 PM
Cork have a woeful manager, with no tactical know how at all.
If they had someone like McGuiness or Harte they would have won five All Ireland's with the players they have at their disposal.
A lucky All Ireland win against one of the worst teams to reach a final in the last twenty years, is all they have to show despite having an abundance of talent.
That sums up my opinion on cork too.
What a waste of talent.

Oleary is IMO the instigator in most cases ( don't think Canty is like that at all).

Ref wasn't great but equal to both teams overall IMO

That rule or whatever it is that refs see fit to penalize a wonderful bit of disposessing skill is wrong !

Cooper was 'duff-ied' !!