Roscommon vs. Tyrone AIQ R2: Yes, again.

Started by Syferus, July 01, 2013, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best hairstyle?

Sean Cavanagh
7 (35%)
Senan Kilbride
6 (30%)
Joe McMahon
7 (35%)
Paddy Joe Burke
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Hardy

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mac2 on July 01, 2013, 12:59:00 PM
Larry your goading is getting tiresome, we've has enough bad days ourselves not to be putting the boot into others.
+1
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omagh_gael

neilthemac

Ros need to change midfield, they slows up the ball too much and aren't powerfully enough built for modern football

better to have runners there who can track their men and runs from the opposing half back line

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on July 03, 2013, 11:30:16 AM
Ros need to change midfield, they slows up the ball too much and aren't powerfully enough built for modern football

better to have runners there who can track their men and runs from the opposing half back line

I assume you're talking about Michael Finneran because we've named a wing-forward who has trouble catching the ball at midfield for the last two years. Probably the second best runner we have on the panel.

You need players in the middle that are able to break ball and run forward. No good doing one or the other.

ONeill

Can't see Mickey changing a winning side unless there have been knocks. Even if Joe's fit he might go same again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

You would imagine so alright.
Are Ronan O'Neill & Coney near full fitness yet?
How did McAliskey play on Sat?

Rossfan

Any of ye Tyrone bucks even remotely considering defeat???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

Quote from: Rossfan on July 03, 2013, 02:32:28 PM
Any of ye Tyrone bucks even remotely considering defeat???

It would be a shock. But....Roscommon beat Cavan and Monaghan earlier in the year and finished the league well. They were also the equal of Tyrone in the first half of the previous two encounters. Also, third time lucky...nothing to lose....

But it would be a massive shock and a defeat we haven't suffered since Sligo 2002. Laois were a decent enough side in 2006 and Tyrone were ravaged by injuries. Tyrone 2013 are not world beaters and I see them behind Donegal, Dublin, Kerry, Cork and Mayo but it would be some kick in the gonads to get to the Div 1 final, run the Dubs to a point minus Stephen O'Neill and then to get turfed out in Roscommon just as the teachers stretch the legs.

What way are the bookies seeing it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Something like
Tyrone 1/8
Ros 6/1

I think it's fair to say all most Ros folk ( except Syfín ) are hoping for is that the players will deliver a decent performance for as long as possible and see where it takes us.
While beating Cavan/monaghan in Div 3 games was grand our display against Mayowr probably tells ye all ye want to know and them Bookies are reflecting that. :-\
Hopefully we can keep it to less than double figures :-[

EC Unique

Fuzzman

Anything is possible and I certainly didn't expect the facile victory over Offaly but that has made me more confident (but cautious) of a decent win v the Rossies.

I don't know why but for some reason there seems to be a huge gulf between the top 6 or 7 sides and then the rest this year. I reckon it's the whole new level that Donegal & Dublin have taken their training and attitude to. It's all much more professional now and so if you haven't bought into that full package then you're being found out and left behind.
The strength & conditioning alone with the top teams mean they are miles ahead of others.
Look how Kildare couldn't handle Dublin last weekend at all and they could have conceded 6 more goals yet Tyrone held the Dubs well in the league final without our best forward.

I agree with many that Tyrone are just about at that top table of 6 teams and even though they got close to Dublin in the league final I would be hesitant to put them above any of the teams below mainly because we haven't beaten any of them for 4 years in the championship.

Dublin
Donegal
Mayo
Kerry
Cork
Tyrone

Down could argue they deserve to be in that list too when you compare how well they did v Donegal this year. I just think those 6 teams are all capable of beating each other on a given day in Croker. Add in Kildare & Down and you have your 8 quarterfinalists depending of course that they don't meet before. I expect Cork or Kerry to be the only provincial losers to make it through.

Of course now I've said that we'll probably end up losing to Meath (again) or Monaghan.  ;)
Teams can often improve as the summer moves on. I remember beating Mayo back in 2008 and thinking we won't get much further as we didn't play well. Next match we hammered the Dubs & went on to win it outright. I think most realistic Tyrone fans don't think this team has that in them this year. I'd be happy to get to a semi final but I really can't see us beating Dublin or Donegal.
Cork of course could be very dark horses as they've hardly been mentioned at all this year.

Rossfan

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 03, 2013, 03:52:05 PM
. I reckon it's the whole new level that Donegal & Dublin have taken their training and attitude to. It's all much more professional now and so if you haven't bought into that full package then you're being found out and left behind.
The strength & conditioning alone with the top teams mean they are miles ahead of others.

"Supervalu Sam" in the Ros Herald this week commenting on the fact that there are 2 Counties who now seem to be in breach of amateurism.
One trains twice a day while the other's players have "three meals a day delivered to their homes" and has a back room team so vast  "that some of the areas catered for border on the ridiculous".

The fact is that the small Counties are still amateur while a few others have in effect become "professional" in all but name.
I'm sure they'll tell us to go off and raise our own money but where in the name of God can €1m be found in a County like Roscommon whose biggest town has about the same population as an Estate in the East of the country, there are no major Multi Nationals or local big business empires especially since the end of the Property bubble burst a few empires.
Not to mention our second biggest town's GAA club affiliating to another place.
At least in the old days if a County could produce good footballers you were in with a shout of winning things as most Counties' preparations were at similar level.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 03, 2013, 04:20:50 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 03, 2013, 03:52:05 PM
. I reckon it's the whole new level that Donegal & Dublin have taken their training and attitude to. It's all much more professional now and so if you haven't bought into that full package then you're being found out and left behind.

"Supervalu Sam" in the Ros Herald this week commenting on the fact that there are 2 Counties who now seem to be in breach of amateurism.
One trains twice a day while the other's players have "three meals a day delivered to their homes" and has a back room team so vast  "that some of the areas catered for border on the ridiculous".

The fact is that the small Counties are still amateur while a few others have in effect become "professional" in all but name.
I'm sure they'll tell us to go off and raise our own money but where in the name of God can €1m be found in a County like Roscommon whose biggest town has about the same population as an Estate in the East of the country, there are no major Multi Nationals or local big business empires especially since the end of the Property bubble burst a few empires.
Not to mention our second biggest town's GAA club affiliating to another place.
At least in the old days if a County could produce good footballers you were in with a shout of winning things as most Counties' preparations were at similar level.

What have those Castlerea bollixs done now? Has Nige climbed the pole outside the courthouse and hoisted up a Mayo flag?