Dublin vs Meath - Leinster Final

Started by Jinxy, June 30, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 22, 2014, 08:10:29 PM
In so many ways, Farrandeelin!! ;D

To be fair, if we don't win it, I wouldn't begrudge Mayo at all, they have a good style about them and considering how tight our games have been over the past two years in champo and league, there is not much between them.

I guarantee that Dublin will not be sticking 16 points on anybody from here on out.

Is 16 not enough for you bastards? For God's sake show some mercy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2014, 06:29:16 PM
QuoteAfter years of humiliation (and for anyone there to witness 99, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009 and half of 2010 that's what it was)

That is some serious revisionism there, humiliation really? In those years Dublin won 3 Leinsters, reached 2 AI Semi-finals and were knocked by the eventual winners on 5 occasions. The only game qualifies that for humiliation is Kerry in 2009.  Jesus if that's humiliation, I'd hate to what you make of a county like Carlow.

Dublin had won one all ireland since 1983. When your second in the roll of honour unrealistic expectations is something that is thrust upon you regardless of the quality of the team. The fact that Dublin weren't good enough in those years to land Sam never stopped the media hammering us at every angle. Instead it was Dublin football is in crisis at every turn.

The only thing that stopped us getting hammered further was that the Indo had to keep its beak shut because Kerry couln't beat Tyrone.

What do I make of Carlow? Lots of good footballers who won't turn out for the county side. I maintain there are 20-25 inter county standard footballers in every single county. That's the challenge - if the GAA want to take all grants off Dublin thats fine by me. But Clare showed what can happen by taking the league seriously , winning games and building confidence.

My fear is we will get caught by a more battle hardened team later in the year as we weren't tested at all in Leinster this year bar 35 minutes.

seafoid

I actually agree with the Dubs on this. They have been so inept over the past 30 years in building consistency. Who can ever forget the early 90s wondering would Charlie Redmond ever get his all Ireland medal.  Then there was arseboxing but that faded into obscurity.  And suddenly they have a very good team and they are going to dominate the game forever. 

Like Barcelona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriKhvPdA7k

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2014, 10:03:26 PM
I actually agree with the Dubs on this. They have been so inept over the past 30 years in building consistency. Who can ever forget the early 90s wondering would Charlie Redmond ever get his all Ireland medal.  Then there was arseboxing but that faded into obscurity.  And suddenly they have a very good team and they are going to dominate the game forever. 

Like Barcelona

2008- walloped everyone in Leinster.

Got thumped by a Tyrone side that came through the backdoor.

People think we get ahead of ourselves- the smart ones among us don't.

I had to laugh at Dublin fans leaving before the final whistle last Sunday- some of whom I know from the club scene in Dublin and wouldn't be the day trippers. There were plenty of years not so long ago we couldn't win a Leinster Championship.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 10:07:41 PM

Like Barcelona

I had to laugh at Dublin fans leaving before the final whistle last Sunday- some of whom I know from the club scene in Dublin and wouldn't be the day trippers. There were plenty of years not so long ago we couldn't win a Leinster Championship.
And the "intinsity" of modern football. It's very hard to keep it going for more than a few years.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2014, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 10:07:41 PM

Like Barcelona

And the "intinsity" of modern football. It's very hard to keep it going for more than a few years.

9 outta 10 ain't bad.

Dont Matter

The Dubs can stick their fingers in their ears and pretend not to hear it all they like but the fact is that the reason for their success is money. I've said before that I know it's difficult to accept, it's a bit like fans of Lance Armstrong. They wanted to celebrate his victorys, they really wanted to believe he was the real deal but deep down they all knew he was winning because he was doping. The Dubs have to come to terms with the fact that their teams have been financially doped.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2014, 11:52:07 PM
The Dubs can stick their fingers in their ears and pretend not to hear it all they like but the fact is that the reason for their success is money. I've said before that I know it's difficult to accept, it's a bit like fans of Lance Armstrong. They wanted to celebrate his victorys, they really wanted to believe he was the real deal but deep down they all knew he was winning because he was doping. The Dubs have to come to terms with the fact that their teams have been financially doped.

I think comparing us to a doping athlete represents a new low even for the mentally deranged like you.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 09:18:02 PM
They could end up playing Kildare yet.

Sure if we just get some good coaching manuals emailed around the county in the next few weeks we'll be grand.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2014, 04:01:43 PM

I think if you played our 2014 team u21 10 times you'd lose 9 times.

I think you could have beaten us in 2012 and had Paul Hudson not been brilliant you'd have beaten us.

But there's a point Paul Hudson man of the match in the 2012 final can't make the 26 for any championship game.

People go on about the usual rubbish like populations etc thus ignoring the real difference.

The difference is forwards. And not half forwards - inside forwards. 1-12 our players don't score anymore then anyone else. But 13-15 do and the guys who replace them after 50 minutes do the same.

That's not down to money or population just pure good coaching from an early age.

And it's done at club level. If Niall Mc Namee can be the class act off both feet he is playing for a county that's struggling at present people should ask how he got that good.

Population and money had nothing to do with it.

While Dublin were allowed to look great in this year U-21 AI final there is still no need to over sell them. Dublin were lucky enough to beat Cavan in the semi final and weren't all that impressive in the Leinster final either against Meath. Dublin 2012 U-21s were better IMO.

As for the Paul Hudson comment i should note Colin Compton one of our best forwards in that 2012 AI final couldn't make our 26 for our seniors this summer. Both could make it as seniors yet but sometimes good underage players don't make the step up to senior.

Its not all down to money or population however population can bring fierce competitiveness and money will see fit that these young talented players get the best preparation/development possible.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 23, 2014, 01:02:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 09:18:02 PM
They could end up playing Kildare yet.

Sure if we just get some good coaching manuals emailed around the county in the next few weeks we'll be grand.

Yeah, that's the point I was making ::)

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2014, 05:09:04 PM
I have no hesitation in saying I love watching this Dublin team, football is my game and Dublin are playing it to a standard that is breathtaking which I think most people truly appreciate. I feel some Dublin supporters (not necessarily you ET95) are being a bit paranoid and are taking any criticism a bit too much to heart. All successful teams get criticism, Kilkenny get slated on hurling forums, Man U were widely disliked over the past 15 years or so and the English rugby team are nobodies idea of a second favourite team. I genuinely believe that while many like to wind up the Dubs, everybody loves to watch them play and have few if any problems with the players or management, who are a credit to the GAA. If I were a Dub I'd be loving every minute of the season and what's happening in Dublin GAA. You're doing lots of things right, you're making headway in some non traditional areas and you are producing some of the best footballers of their generation and probably of all time. Lap it up and laugh off the wilder accusations being thrown at you.

I want to see all counties maximising their potential and Dublin are striving to do that. I don't want to see them limited in anyway, I want to see others maximise their potential and the GAA to help them do so if necessary. Competitiveness is brilliant but we want to see great teams clash, not mediocre ones. I fully believe counties like Kildare, Tyrone, Mayo, Meath, Kerry and few more have more than enough about them to compete with Dublin but they might need a bit more financial assistance from CP and maybe a bit more ambition and imagination.
best post on the thread! Good work my son .

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on July 23, 2014, 12:27:41 PM
Probably said too much already.

You're some man for implying all sorts and then saying nothing moy. Like a flirty but frigid young one,at a disco  ;D