Mayo v London Sunday July 21st, 2013 Connacht Final

Started by From the Bunker, June 30, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2013, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 02, 2013, 12:29:06 AM
What is the max crowd this could pull in London and the max capacity they could hold?

The gound in Ruislip would allow about 2,000 people max see the game with its one grassy raised area.
Otherwise ye're talking about a rugby or soccer ground both of whose pitches would be too small.
Anyway it's fixed for Prentypark which after all is in Connacht, the place where  CONNACHT Finals are played.

Well, exactly. It would be totally illogical to have Mayo playing in a Connacht Final in London. Logic dictates that London must play in a Connacht final in Mayo.

Farrandeelin

Sure didn't Galway have to play the Leinster hurling championship games in Leinster??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2013, 12:36:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2013, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 02, 2013, 12:29:06 AM
What is the max crowd this could pull in London and the max capacity they could hold?

The gound in Ruislip would allow about 2,000 people max see the game with its one grassy raised area.
Otherwise ye're talking about a rugby or soccer ground both of whose pitches would be too small.
Anyway it's fixed for Prentypark which after all is in Connacht, the place where  CONNACHT Finals are played.

Well, exactly. It would be totally illogical to have Mayo playing in a Connacht Final in London. Logic dictates that London must play in a Connacht final in Mayo.

Sure bang it into Croke Park, if they can have an Ulster Final in there  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2013, 09:59:02 AM
Jaysus lads, nearly spat out my breakfast...some slightly positive news on the injury front....

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/cillian-oconnor-mayo-2-974432-Jul2013/

Is that a euphemism ballinaman? We all know you love your Mayo football.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Maybe I am seeing things differently from everyone else but I don't see the logic of playing the final in London.
I wouldn't mind having an excuse to go over to London at any time but going over for a Connacht final wouldn't be the first one I could think of. London may have lots of Mayo ex-pats but its one helluva big place and Ruislip is well off the beaten track.
What about the Mayo fans who live in the county or who would drive to Castlebar from other parts?
I wonder what percentage of them would travel to London just for one game; especially when it's widely expected to be a lop-sided contest from the throw-in. It would be in single figures and that's for sure.
Nah, it's got to be McHale Park.
Salthill is a fine stadium but the attendance would be less than 10,000 and while the Rossies keep baaing away about making their sheep pen fit for human inhabitation, there's no sign of them doing anything but complain.
Finally, you got to think of Syferus and his little lambs; the CC will lose enough money with the gig being staged in McHale Park without the extra expense of bringing the minors over to Ruislip.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ballinaman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 02, 2013, 01:24:24 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2013, 09:59:02 AM
Jaysus lads, nearly spat out my breakfast...some slightly positive news on the injury front....

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/cillian-oconnor-mayo-2-974432-Jul2013/

Is that a euphemism ballinaman? We all know you love your Mayo football.
Twas the shock of some good news for once!Only sleep and drink Mayo football, haven't progressed to eating...we're in for a long summer so I won't rule anything out...

Hardy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 02, 2013, 01:36:09 PM
Maybe I am seeing things differently from everyone else but I don't see the logic of playing the final in London.
I wouldn't mind having an excuse to go over to London at any time but going over for a Connacht final wouldn't be the first one I could think of. London may have lots of Mayo ex-pats but its one helluva big place and Ruislip is well off the beaten track.
What about the Mayo fans who live in the county or who would drive to Castlebar from other parts?
I wonder what percentage of them would travel to London just for one game; especially when it's widely expected to be a lop-sided contest from the throw-in. It would be in single figures and that's for sure.
Nah, it's got to be McHale Park.
Salthill is a fine stadium but the attendance would be less than 10,000 and while the Rossies keep baaing away about making their sheep pen fit for human inhabitation, there's no sign of them doing anything but complain.
Finally, you got to think of Syferus and his little lambs; the CC will lose enough money with the gig being staged in McHale Park without the extra expense of bringing the minors over to Ruislip.

I think we're talking economics and even sociology here, Lar, not logic. To deliberately labour the point of my earlier sarcastic post, I don't think logic is the foundation on which to be building this argument. Logic gets an uppercut at the point where we proclaim London to be a Connacht county. It gets counted out on its back when we insist that London play all their first round Connacht Championship games in London but cannot fathom the concept of playing the final there because it wouldn't be logical.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stephenite on July 01, 2013, 11:54:56 PM
If there was an ounce of sense anywhere in the GAA this game would be played in London and heavily promoted.

Not sure lads. If it was hyped up, Sky sent out a few cameras, etc etc, and Mayo went and hammered the living bejaysus shite out of London, what would that achieve?

Rossfan

Where in London could such a game be played?????????
Need a place that could hold at least 10,000 and a pitch big enough to meet the official measurements, this being a Connacht final after all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

passedit

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
Where in London could such a game be played?????????
Need a place that could hold at least 10,000 and a pitch big enough to meet the official measurements, this being a Connacht final after all.

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2013, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: stephenite on July 01, 2013, 11:54:56 PM
If there was an ounce of sense anywhere in the GAA this game would be played in London and heavily promoted.

Not sure lads. If it was hyped up, Sky sent out a few cameras, etc etc, and Mayo went and hammered the living bejaysus shite out of London, what would that achieve?
Like the last time they were there?

Don't Panic

AZOffaly

In fairness I think this Mayo is a different animal. Does anyone on here think that London will be within say, 10 points, at the end of the game? Even within a point a man?

Syferus

Could see London doing better than Galway or ourselves (within 12). London aren't at the level of even D3 teams in terms of fitness so they tire very heavily in the final 20 of championship matches. That's when the game could become a massacre.

London Abu!

Zulu

Not based on Sundays performance any AZ, I thought London looked well off the pace of senior IC football. If mayo take it seriously this will be a complete hiding.

rodney trotter

Lorcan Mulvey is London's key player. Moved there around the end of 2010, he featured lots for Cavan in the past and never looked up to the pace of Senior County.
It says something that he is the best player now. I think he would stand out at that level against teams like Leitrim. Fair play to him though, and London for reaching the final.

Blowitupref

The Mayo side London face on July 21st compared to 2011 is like chalk and cheese. Leitrim lost to Mayo by 22 points last June. Very little difference between Leitrim,london as shown in the last four games and if London get within 11 points in this game they will be doing well.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose