Ulster Final Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

A bit more composure up front and we would have beaten Donegal.  There is hope for Monaghan.  They should go 110% at Donegal, no team is unbeatable. 

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on July 17, 2013, 11:05:48 AM
I've been at Monaghan / Donegal games going back as far as '79 and I don't ever remember losing to them. It's one of those quirks in sport, but for some reason they bring out the best in us. We've always managed to up our game, at home or away.
It's not just a quirk in sport, nor is it anything to do with Donegal bringing out the best in us. We are just naturally superior in all spheres, to the Donegal species. It might well transpire that they beat us in this game, but in time after their bubble bursts, normal service will resume.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2013, 12:17:01 PM
I've been at Monaghan / Donegal games going back as far as '79 and I don't ever remember losing to them. It's one of those quirks in sport, but for some reason they bring out the best in us. We've always managed to up our game, at home or away.
It's not just a quirk in sport, nor is it anything to do with Donegal bringing out the best in us. We are just naturally superior in all spheres, to the Donegal species. It might well transpire that they beat us in this game, but in time after their bubble bursts, normal service will resume.

sounds like you should have been marching last Friday ole mucker!!
;)

Monaghan are hard working outfit, will give a good go and hope they can upset Donegal's rhythm and sneak a win. It is possible, as any team can be beaten on a given day.
On a normal day though, you would expect a few points victory by Donegal.
Lacy and Gallagher unfit of missing is a big loss though...
Monaghan will have to not miss any chances and expect Lennon, Clerkin, Finley, Hughesx2,McManus and Freeman to play their best.Thats a good set of players to have in a team!

BluestackBoy

I'm heading for the drumlins today for the final, with reasons to be cheerful and fearful.

Reason to be fearful 1, 2, 3...

1: Donegal are very impressive all over the park and they're All-Ireland champions and disposed of probably their biggest threat in Ulster, Tyrone, with ease. Head to head they look like they have better quality.

2: They've an excellent management team who have known bitter disappointments and they've a full hand to pick from for this match. They're hungry for more success.

3: They play a system which we have arguably had problems dealing with against inferior opposition.

Reasons to be cheerful 1, 2, 3...

1: Monaghan have gone into their last 2 Ulster finals following very impressive performances, yet fell flat in the finals. This time we're in a final following two flat performances. Monaghan have more in them and the more experienced players will really be up for this one. We have a big performance in us.

2. This time, as on previous occasions, I'm enjoying the confidence, bordering on cockiness, of the Donegal followers. They're saving themselves for Croke Park, this one is in the bag, Jimmy's winning matches...I've been at Monaghan / Donegal games going back as far as '79 and I don't ever remember losing to them. It's one of those quirks in sport, but for some reason they bring out the best in us. We've always managed to up our game, at home or away.

3. We've had two dress rehearsals for this match against blanket defences. We were poor enough at times in these games, but perhaps not that poor. It was hard to get up for the Antrim game. In the Cavan game, had the goal/penalty been awarded Cavan would have had to open up and chase the game, which would have suited very nicely.

May the best teams win and should the minors will help us win the double and it'll be Monaghan's finest hour.

Your 3 reasons to be cheerful look a mite flimsy when stacked against your 3 reasons to be fearful ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

From the Bunker

Jim McGuinness at the Cliftonville/Celtic match tonight. Busy man this week!

Dont Matter

Alright I see, Monaghan will go full tilt at this. If they lose then Wexford will be happy if they have nothing left in the tank however.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

J70

It doesn't make any sense to think that Monaghan would hold back. This game is nowhere near a foregone conclusion. Monaghan are a big physical side with some good, accurate forwards. Donegal will have to earn this.

Main Street

We have a couple of players who might be classified as 'big' but mostly we have a mixture of the average, some lightweights and a few midgets.
Inch for inch, Donegal easily outsize us (height-wise only of course). Monaghan have to get by, mainly by dint of their inherent crafty football abilities, with the odd bit of physicality thrown in, for survival purposes.

Syferus

Saw Jimmy was training the St. Joe's junior team here last week. He's really taking the mickey out of the Monaghan lads with that carry-on.

Time to go Paudi on him and drive through a few walls, Farnies. F**k doors.

Any craic

Rory Woods in New York gives his verdict for Sunday..  https://vimeo.com/70528145 and see Paul McComiskey and players from Laois and Armagh among the Leitrim and Cavan teams playing in Gaelic Park New York

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Any craic on July 18, 2013, 04:17:36 AM
Rory Woods in New York gives his verdict for Sunday..  https://vimeo.com/70528145 and see Paul McComiskey and players from Laois and Armagh among the Leitrim and Cavan teams playing in Gaelic Park New York

Good man Rory. He's the man ya'd want to hit the ground running with the big hits..

cluaineois

TUimhir

Name   Cumann

Rory Beggan   An Bhoth

Kieran Duffy   Leachtain

Drew Wylie   Béal Átha Beithe

Colin Walshe   Dubhthamlacht

Vincent Corey   Cluain Tiobraid

Neil Mc Adam   Cláirsigh Mhuineacháin

Dessie Mone   Cluain Tiobraid

Owen Lennon (Capt)   Leachtain

Darren Hughes   An Bhoth

Paul Finlay   Béal Átha Beithe

Stephen Gollogly   Carraig Mhachaire Rois

Dermot Malone   Fag An Bealach

Christopher Mc Guinness   Béal Átha Beithe

Kieran Hughes   An Bhoth

Conor Mc Manus   Cluain Tiobraideam Named for sunday, cant wait
once your a clone your never alone

GrandMasterFlash

Malone will inject some pace into the half forward line and run at the Donegal defence, which isn't a bad thing. Tommy looked way off the pace the last day (albeit played out of position IMO) so not surprised to see him not start. Dick is probably not 100% either, or maybe MOR has dropped him on form as he has done that a few times this year. I reckon we'll see Dick and Tommy at some stage, two good impact subs. I have to say, I'm not 100% convinced about Neil McAdam at CHB. He doesn't get on the ball enough IMO and lacks some of the that creativity and vision necessary for a CHB. We'll see though, hopefully he'll prove me wrong..

timmyot501

I think McAdam has had his moments this year.  Was doing ok against antrim until the second yellow and played some good league games at different times. Wasn't his bext day against cavan but he wasn't alone.  I would switch him and darren hughes if Dick is defo out.

DoireGael

Good win for Monaghan over Mayo in a challenge match there.....