Ulster Final Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Monaghan by 2. Donegal to win all-Ireland after this blip.

GrandMasterFlash

Who would be doubts for Donegal? Lacey and Neil Gallagher? Was it Frank McGlynn who got injured before half time in the Down game?

From a Monaghan point of view Eoin Duffy would be a doubt. Dermot Malone should be coming back into the Frame, Dick should be fit to start also.

Jaysus the butterflies are at me already..

Dont Matter

Are Monaghan going to go full steam into this one? Or will they try but have the weekend after in the back of their heads?
I know there's a title at stake but which route is easier to the quarter finals; Donegal or Wexford/Laois?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

BluestackBoy

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 16, 2013, 11:49:30 PM
Who would be doubts for Donegal? Lacey and Neil Gallagher? Was it Frank McGlynn who got injured before half time in the Down game?

From a Monaghan point of view Eoin Duffy would be a doubt. Dermot Malone should be coming back into the Frame, Dick should be fit to start also.

Jaysus the butterflies are at me already..

Donegal at full strength according to Jim. Mind you whether Lacey Gallagher & McGlynn have a full 70 minutes in them is debateable. JMcG's  policy has been to try and finish with his strongest team so the starting 15 will tell us how far along they are. If they are in the 15 then they are 100%.
A full strength 15 & a warm sunny day will tell us a lot about where Donegal are.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Maguire01

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 17, 2013, 12:00:00 AM
Are Monaghan going to go full steam into this one? Or will they try but have the weekend after in the back of their heads?
I know there's a title at stake but which route is easier to the quarter finals; Donegal or Wexford/Laois?
It's their only chance of silverware, so i'd hope they'll be going full tilt. A run in the qualifiers is nice if you go out in the first round/provincial semi-final, but after losing in a final, it's a bit of an anti-climax.

Bingo

No-one remembers a quarter finalist, you've been there before. Ulster titles goes into the record books and medals are handed out for it. They'll be flat out for the title as they've lost two in recent times.

Doesn't make the task any easier and they still very much underdogs.

BluestackBoy

I can't for one minute believe that Monaghan would go into an Ulster final in that frame of mind. If they do they will be beaten out the gate & the track record of losing provincial finalists from Ulster is not good since they only get 6 days to recover
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

babarino

Ridiculous to suggest that we hold anything back for the following week. It's all duck or no dinner for Monaghan when it comes to Ulster finals. We've had no dinner the last two times.

DennistheMenace

Would love to see Monaghan get 3 or 4 points up.

Bingo

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 17, 2013, 10:42:16 AM
Would love to see Monaghan get 3 or 4 points up.

in the 5th minute of second half injury time (only 4 mins been signalled)

babarino

I'm heading for the drumlins today for the final, with reasons to be cheerful and fearful.

Reason to be fearful 1, 2, 3...

1: Donegal are very impressive all over the park and they're All-Ireland champions and disposed of probably their biggest threat in Ulster, Tyrone, with ease. Head to head they look like they have better quality.

2: They've an excellent management team who have known bitter disappointments and they've a full hand to pick from for this match. They're hungry for more success.

3: They play a system which we have arguably had problems dealing with against inferior opposition.

Reasons to be cheerful 1, 2, 3...

1: Monaghan have gone into their last 2 Ulster finals following very impressive performances, yet fell flat in the finals. This time we're in a final following two flat performances. Monaghan have more in them and the more experienced players will really be up for this one. We have a big performance in us.

2. This time, as on previous occasions, I'm enjoying the confidence, bordering on cockiness, of the Donegal followers. They're saving themselves for Croke Park, this one is in the bag, Jimmy's winning matches...I've been at Monaghan / Donegal games going back as far as '79 and I don't ever remember losing to them. It's one of those quirks in sport, but for some reason they bring out the best in us. We've always managed to up our game, at home or away.

3. We've had two dress rehearsals for this match against blanket defences. We were poor enough at times in these games, but perhaps not that poor. It was hard to get up for the Antrim game. In the Cavan game, had the goal/penalty been awarded Cavan would have had to open up and chase the game, which would have suited very nicely.

May the best teams win and should the minors will help us win the double and it'll be Monaghan's finest hour.

Fuzzman

Bingo, Jimmy would have a plan in place for that I'd suspect

How many times in the last 20 years have Monaghan been the beaten finalists.
I know we beat ye twice not so long ago.

They are usually VERY ROBUST matches so I think we could be in for a tough physical game on Sunday.
For ye Monaghan fans, keep an eye on the two McGee brothers on Sunday to see how real tough (& often dirty) defenders play. Ye won't get much change outta either of them.

Bingo

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2013, 11:13:01 AM

How many times in the last 20 years have Monaghan been the beaten finalists.
I know we beat ye twice not so long ago.

They are usually VERY ROBUST matches so I think we could be in for a tough physical game on Sunday.
For ye Monaghan fans, keep an eye on the two McGee brothers on Sunday to see how real tough (& often dirty) defenders play. Ye won't get much change outta either of them.

I'd say Jimmy has a plan for everything.

I can see Donegal coming out fast and furious to try and take the sting outa of Monaghan as such. Put the scores on the board and then force Monaghan to make the running and pick them off for rest of the game. They'll certainly not want to get into the position they found themselves in against Down.

I can see McManus been on the end of one of the McGees early on.

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2013, 11:13:01 AM

Jim would have a contingency plan for being four points down in the fifth minute of four minutes of injury time?  ;D

The man is a true football managing god!     :D

Sleater

The key worry for me is Monaghan's indiscipline. They've had quite a lot of dismissals this year and are prone to giving away soft frees in handy positions. Given how lethal McFadden and Murphy (from distance of the ground) are, that could prove very costly. Donegal are much cuter on that regards and tactically foul further out. Yeah, we all give out about it, but most teams do it now unless they are stupid.

In terms of physicality, I'm not worried at all for Monaghan who are no shrinking violets. Lennon, Corey, the two Hughes', Clerkin, Doogan are big lumps of lads, not afraid to mix it.