Ulster Final Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Congrats monaghan, savage result

Syferus

Absolutely delight for Monaghan. Watching them troop up in six man phalanxes in the Hyde a few months ago no one would have imagined this. The moment of the 2013 championship so far.

Completely rearranges the deck chairs for the AIQFs. Mayo-Donegal and Dublin-Donegal become QF possibilities now. If Mayo avoid them they could saunter in the AI final now.

Zulu

Quote from: Qwerty28 on July 21, 2013, 05:45:26 PM
Great scenes again at finish, similar to last weekend with Limerick. Another reason the provincials will never be replaced. Delighted for Monaghan, esp the likes of Freeman and Clerkin.

Rubbish. What's the other great reason they shouldn't be replaced?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: yellowcard on July 21, 2013, 05:46:52 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2013, 05:45:52 PM
Bit disappointing how TV3 cut away so quickly from the celebrations to go to ads.

Exactly, couldn't wait to get to an ad break.

Even missed the start of the trophy presentation when they got back.

Wildweasel74

its nice to see the Donegal team has stayed out, always think that shows a bit of class!

Main Street

My heart was beating like a sub woofer from start to finish. I can't say I saw this intensity and self belief coming, well at least not enough of it to reduce Donegal to bumbling wrecks. Fantastic work rate, defending, midfield, possession play and some great scores.
History made with two 45's  converted in the one game.

Zulu

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 21, 2013, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2013, 05:41:05 PM
Delighted for Monaghan but I think Donegal are busted flush. To beat them all you have to do is play them at their own game and when you do there's at least 6 counties with better teams and panels.

The trick (easier said than done of course) is to get in front on the scoreboard.  Then they have to come out of their defensive pattern, and that opens up more space for your forwards.

Don't think that's the trick at all. If you play as they do then you'll beat them as they've a number of decent but not great IC footballers. Donegal set up to make your scoring efforts difficult and their own fairly easy. If you don't pour forward then the best teams will beat them as they have better players by and large. Donegal to be fair probably lack a bit of hunger but I'd be surprised if this squad wins another All Ireland.

Lar Naparka

Fair dues to Monaghan, it was a thoroughly deserved win.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

naka

Great
Sitting in a bar in Portugal
Monaghan man just bought the bar a drink
There were 10 of us
You have to be happy for these guys
Will enjoy the bottle of cider and get back to hammering grimley later

Wildweasel74

MOTM - Hard to call i go with Darren Hughes or D Mone, though BBC went with C Hughes

haranguerer

Fantastic!! Delighted for Monaghan, and then you see heroes like Lennon and Freeman interviewed there at the end, and you realise who it makes you even happier to see them get a title. Delighted for Mal O'Rourke too, great day all round.

Main Street

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 21, 2013, 05:56:26 PM
MOTM - Hard to call i go with Darren Hughes or D Mone, though BBC went with C Hughes
I thought Dessie Mone was excellent and my motm, though he tends to make a meal of every bit of contact to his pretty face.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2013, 05:52:22 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 21, 2013, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2013, 05:41:05 PM
Delighted for Monaghan but I think Donegal are busted flush. To beat them all you have to do is play them at their own game and when you do there's at least 6 counties with better teams and panels.

The trick (easier said than done of course) is to get in front on the scoreboard.  Then they have to come out of their defensive pattern, and that opens up more space for your forwards.

Don't think that's the trick at all. If you play as they do then you'll beat them as they've a number of decent but not great IC footballers. Donegal set up to make your scoring efforts difficult and their own fairly easy. If you don't pour forward then the best teams will beat them as they have better players by and large. Donegal to be fair probably lack a bit of hunger but I'd be surprised if this squad wins another All Ireland.

It is the trick Zulu. And to prove it do a roll call of how many times donegal have been behind in since 2010 after 20 minutes.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2013, 06:00:53 PM
I thought Dessie Mone was excellent and my motm, though he tends to make a meal of every bit of contact to his pretty face.

would have said Darren Hughes was extraordinary. Extraordinary.

rodney trotter

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2013, 06:02:00 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2013, 06:00:53 PM

would have said Darren Hughes was extraordinary. Extraordinary.

He had a great game but thought his brother was better.