Magdalene Laundries payout.

Started by T Fearon, June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Slave labour was prevalent in all institutions in those days. Long hours, pittance wages, sure it even led to a lockout!

If any Magdalene Laundry victim, can identify her abuser and that abuser is still alive, then they should arm themselves with the evidence and take a civil case against the specific abuser(s). That's the long and short of their entitlement as ar as I'm concerned. My real gripe is that modern day governments and institutions having to apologise and compensate for wrongdoings of their predecessors, that were not of their making.

As it stands all Magdalene laundry workers are going to be compensated, presumably equally, though no doubt some suffered far more than others etc.

Fair play to you down there in the land of milk and honey, giving up your taxes for this crap. By the looks of things you'll be doing it for years!

Eamonnca1

Yes, quite.

What is it about these abusers, peodophiles and rapists that you admire so much?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 03:06:58 PM
Fair play to you down there in the land of milk and honey, giving up your taxes for this crap. By the looks of things you'll be doing it for years!

You have already stated that you pay your taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs, so this really is none of your concern.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 25, 2013, 04:06:30 PM
What is it about these abusers, peodophiles and rapists that you admire so much?

Birds of a feather?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

I do not admire them, in fact they're repulsive, that's why I said if they're alive and there is sufficient eveidence, they should be pursued individually through the courts.

muppet

Quoteie those victims of abuse at the hands of rogue catholic church clerics enjoy priority boarding rights on this gravy train

A new low.

Slagging off victims of sexual, physical and mental abuse as: 'enjoying priority boarding rights on this gravy train'.

Tony your only agenda is to absolve the Catholic Church from its sins.

MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 04:35:14 PM
I do not admire them, in fact they're repulsive, that's why I said if they're alive and there is sufficient eveidence, they should be pursued individually through the courts.

Pursued in civil cases?  For compensation?  I thought you were against compensation for the victims.

T Fearon

I am opposed to generic compensation schemes for selected victims,and the demonisation of entire institutions.If anyone was victimised by anyone else, cleric or otherwise,they should present the evidence in a civil court against the perpetrator.That way,those responsible are duly punished.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 08:09:42 PM
I am opposed to generic compensation schemes for selected victims,and the demonisation of entire institutions.If anyone was victimised by anyone else, cleric or otherwise,they should present the evidence in a civil court against the perpetrator.That way,those responsible are duly punished.

Like Sean Brady didn't do?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Hardy

Asked? He took deliberate steps to ensure it wouldn't come to court.

T Fearon

No he didn't.He carried out an investigation and reported his findings accurately and honestly to his superiors,in line with the organisational procedures laid down.He didn't attempt to suppress or distort his findings in any way shape or form.

Eamonnca1

Organizational procedures? Who gives a toss about organizational procedures, or "canon law" as your crowd pretentiously call it? It's the law of the land that counts.

As for "demonization", play me the world's smallest violin. The abuse was systematic, encouraged, and covered up at the highest level. The entire organization is responsible and I have zero sympathy.

Shame on you for defending these sick, twisted, evil mother****ers.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 08:09:42 PM
I could agree with the first statement if it meant what it appears to mean. However, there's a neat sidestep of logic involved.
The implication is that "entire institutions" weren't involved in this instance.
That is patently untrue.

The profit made from the operation of those laundries was the main source of income of the four orders involved. All became extremely wealthy as a result.
Those frigging congregations are being demonised because of what went on in their laundries and in their names. What happened in them was official policy – no more and no less.
In an ideal world, individuals could sue other individuals and the law could take its course. But there is nothing ideal in the case of the Magdalene victims taking on the institutions that mistreated them.
Where would a victim find the resources to take a case against one or more of her former oppressors?
Even if she did have the money to pursue her oppressors through the courts, the accused would be backed by her order and would have the best legal defence that money could buy.
Something else is being overlooked here: What if the perpetrator was no longer alive; would the plaintiff then be denied redress?
Look; the bitches, entire congregations, owe the land and properties they own today to the slave labour they employed in their laundries and should be forced to make comprehensive reparations for their crimes.   
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

5 Sams

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 25, 2013, 04:06:30 PM
Yes, quite.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 10:29:07 PM
No he didn't.He carried out an investigation and reported his findings accurately and honestly to his superiors,in line with the organisational procedures laid down.He didn't attempt to suppress or distort his findings in any way shape or form.

Yes he did. He didn't carry out an investigation. He ran a cover-up, the main component of which was the swearing of children to secrecy, meaning that even their parents, never mind the courts, could ever find out what his henchmen had perpetrated. An investigation is the pursuit of the truth of what happened in a given case. The swearing of children to secrecy, even in relation to their families (pause a moment and contemplate that) is the opposite - the pursuit of an attempt to ensure the truth is never heard.