Magdalene Laundries payout.

Started by T Fearon, June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2013, 07:52:50 PM
I see the Bethany home residents/abused are now moaning looking moolah as well,though you can't blame the catholic church for this one.Exactly my point,where is this all going to end now in terms of compensation claims,and surely if the Magdalene laundries inmates deserve compensation,  how can the Bethany inmates be denied?

Imagine arguing against compensating victims of the appalling Magdalene Laundries.

That is particularly sad but look at your augments which are even sadder:

1. Where is this all going to end?
2. Whatabout other stuff?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Yes,but why is the government compensating Magdalene Laundries and not Bethany? Now their leaving themselves open to charges of discriminating against protestants.

That's what happens when you open a can of worms. Should the current German government not compensate the families of victims of the holocaust?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2013, 10:11:16 PM
Yes,but why is the government compensating Magdalene Laundries and not Bethany? Now their leaving themselves open to charges of discriminating against protestants.

That's what happens when you open a can of worms. Should the current German government not compensate the families of victims of the holocaust?

More whataboutery.

The Magdalene Laundry victims will deservedly be compensated despite the despicable behaviour of the religious orders involved.
MWWSI 2017

BarryBreensBandage

What is it to you?

General consensus is usually a good gauge of who deserves what, based on all these things you negate - documentaries, sworn testimonies, legal proceedings, government investigations, torn and ripped up lives.

And yes, you got what you wanted from all of us - a reaction.

Unless it is something that is personal to yourself, stop digging the hole.
Are you taking your cue from controversial sports analysts? This is a lot more serious.
Have a bit of respect for your fellow countrymen (in this case women) and stop rolling out every feckin local and international example to diminish the hurt and injustice they went through.

Very cheap, Tony
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

T Fearon

I am not diminishing the hurt they went through,I'm just saying that in those less enlightened times everybody experienced hurt,discrimination etc,some a hell of a lot worse then the Magdalene laundries.

So is everyone entitled to compensation? What about the parents etc who condemned their children into the Magdalene laundries in the first place.

Also it seems to me that the Bethany residents suffered similar abuse as Magdalene laundries,yet the government is refusing to compensate them.

Of course after the precedent has been set every chancer will have a go now.What about us all as descendants of the famine victims? Are we all not entitled to compensation? I would like someone to answer my original question.Where will this all end?

Eamonnca1

Whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout

Eamonnca1

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2013, 07:52:50 PM
I see the Bethany home residents/abused are now moaning looking moolah as well,though you can't blame the catholic church for this one.Exactly my point,where is this all going to end now in terms of compensation claims,and surely if the Magdalene laundries inmates deserve compensation,  how can the Bethany inmates be denied?
They can't.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

give her dixie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22707483

29 May 2013

Germany to pay Holocaust victims new compensation

Germany has agreed to pay an extra 800 million euros (£685 million) to help care for Jewish survivors of the Nazi Holocaust.

It is thought about 56,000 people worldwide will benefit, one third of them in Israel.

The aim is to help ensure elderly Holocaust survivors can live their final years in dignity.

Germany has also agreed to widen the scope of those eligible, to include people who lived in open ghettos.

The Jewish Claims Conference, which represents Jews caught up in the Holocaust and their descendents, welcomed the announcement.

"We are seeing Germany's continued commitment to fulfil its historic obligation to Nazi victims," said Stuart Eizenstat, the Claims Conference's special negotiator, in a statement on the organisation's website.

He said the main beneficiaries would be people whose "early life was filled with indescribable tragedy and trauma".

Stuart Eizenstat, of the Jewish Claims Conference, called the announcement "impressive"
A German finance ministry spokesman confirmed the details of the compensation.

Mr Eizenstat, who is a former US ambassador to the European Union, added that the move was "all the more impressive since it comes at a time of budget austerity in Germany".

The open ghettos referred to were those without walls but where residents "lived in constant fear of deportation by the Nazis", according to the Claims Conference.

The former West German government acknowledged the murder of six million Jews by the Nazi regime and began, in 1952, to pay compensation to Israel.

Last year, the German finance ministry said it would make one-off payments worth 2,556 euros (£2188) each to Jewish victims of the Holocaust who had still not received any compensation.

Many of them live in the former Soviet Union.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

lynchbhoy

the religious orders should stump up half the cash (not sure if they have it though).

It is interesting to hear the gov asking/demanding/telling the religious order to stump up cash for problems the religious orders created....

I'd have yet to see them do likewise to the banks and get them to pay their 'share' for the issues they caused...

yet the gov doesn't seem to want to be consistent and do this....

hypocrisy - its a national sport here.

armaghniac

People were generally placed in these laundries at the behest of their families, with the connivance of the State to be sure. What contribution are the families going to make?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Simple point. There is a hierarchy of abuse victims (ie those victims of abuse at the hands of rogue catholic church clerics enjoy priority boarding rights on this gravy train), and now that the Government has decided to compensate Magdalene Laundries, the precedent has been set, and victims groups will emerge from every hole in the hedge.

As usual too, it will be the taxpayer that will have to stump up the cash.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 02:28:25 PM
As usual too, it will be the taxpayer that will have to stump up the cash.

Do you pay tax in Ireland Tony?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2013, 12:18:44 AM
I am not diminishing the hurt they went through,I'm just saying that in those less enlightened times everybody experienced hurt,discrimination etc,some a hell of a lot worse then the Magdalene laundries.

So is everyone entitled to compensation? What about the parents etc who condemned their children into the Magdalene laundries in the first place.

Also it seems to me that the Bethany residents suffered similar abuse as Magdalene laundries,yet the government is refusing to compensate them.

Of course after the precedent has been set every chancer will have a go now.What about us all as descendants of the famine victims? Are we all not entitled to compensation? I would like someone to answer my original question.Where will this all end?
Jaysus, I just saw this now.
Fair play to you, Tony; like good wine you appear to improve with age.

some a hell of a lot worse then the Magdalene laundries.
You could be right but can you list any of them for my edification?

So is everyone entitled to compensation?
Only those who qualify for it.
What about the parents etc who condemned their children into the Magdalene laundries in the first place.
What about them? That is a completely separate issue and neither adds to or detracts from the case against church and state. If one really wants to follow that line of argument, should all who had their clothes washed in Magdalene laundries be held to account also?
You could also throw in all who sold turf and coal to those institutions.
Great craic and all are strawman fallacies.
The case for redress against the nuns and the state stands on its own merits and is distinct from all other considerations.

Of course after the precedent has been set every chancer will have a go
So what?
In law, anybody can sue anybody else for anything at any time. Taking a case is one thing; proving it is sustainable is another.
What about us all as descendants of the famine victims?
Well, what about us?
We weren't victims of the Famine so we are entitled to sweet FA. On the other hand, if you know of any survivors of this famine, get them to lodge a claim straightaway.  ;D
Dunno how this one is going to pan out as an appeal is going to be lodged but in any event, that is a separate issue. We are talking about Magdalene victims and whether it was right or wrong to award them compensation.
I would like someone to answer my original question.Where will this all end?
  I presume it will end when all who are entitled to compensation get it. Nothing will be paid unless a tribunal or court decides that such payments are justified.

All laundries run by the mickey dodgers were highly profitable concerns.

They were able to undercut private laundries because they used slave labour and so didn't have to pay wages. The evil bitches enriched themselves at the expense of the women who worked there against their will. All other considerations aside, the prisoners should be paid the back money they earned the hard way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi