Magdalene Laundries payout.

Started by T Fearon, June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 29, 2013, 09:05:13 PM
Well,yes,I am puzzled that the grainy footage does show smiling faces.This is incompatible with the life of misery, deemed to be so bad that it merits compensation.

Right.  Who needs scores of eyewitness accounts and first hand accounts of physical and sexual abuse when all you really need is a few grainy pictures of smiling faces?

::)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 09:34:26 AM
Magdalene laundries very sadly were of their time.The abuse meted out by nuns who had probably suffered similar abuse themselves in school growing up.Also you have to factor in the more robustly vengeful nature of religion in those days,were the emphasis was far more on punishment for sin (perceived sin) rather than compassion,and this method was perceived to more efficacious in terms of correcting and improving bad behaviour.

That is not of course to condone the abuse,but a simple statement of fact.Anyone of my generation will no doubt testify that behaving badly attracted a belt from parents or a cane from teachers.

Thankfully we have all moved on from those days,as evidenced in West Belfast last week,bad behaviour leads to an appointment with the local non statutory law enforcers,and a bullet in the kneecaps.

Yes it is.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on June 30, 2013, 12:34:41 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 12:51:03 AM
Muppet,that looks like a photo of kids at a Championship game in the 60s.So people were/are ordered to smile? Yes,maybe for a family photo or something,but not for a spontaneous film crew.

Another point.Have any of the contributors to this thread got direct first hand experience of what actually went on in these laundries or like me,are you relying on the allegations of people who were actually in them?

Check the properties of the photo. It is Jewish children in a WW2 concentration camp.

Tony, you are so far off the stage I am beginning to suspect something else is the problem.

I think so too. 

T Fearon

I love the way this Board tolerates diversity of opinion,without abuse ::)

mylestheslasher

Speaking of abuse, would you like me to post up that PM you sent me again?

T Fearon

Different me in those days.Don't let anything or anybody wind me up now.Have learned that everything matters but nothing matters much.Sorry I let you wind me up! :P

Tony Baloney

I think Tony is actually doing another competition. "Act Like An Eejit Online" and win tickets to kiss the Bishop's ring.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 09:34:26 AM
Magdalene laundries very sadly were of their time.
Didn't the last one close in 1996?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 07:50:01 PM
Different me in those days.Don't let anything or anybody wind me up now.Have learned that everything matters but nothing matters much.Sorry I let you wind me up! :P
The politician's apology. "I'm sorry you feel offended by what I have said/done".

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 07:33:02 PM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 30, 2013, 08:13:01 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 07:33:02 PM

You are in flying form today, Eamonn. Either that or, like Tony, you have far too much time on your hands. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 30, 2013, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2013, 07:50:01 PM
The politician's apology. "I'm sorry you feel offended by what I have said/done".

...and will do again tomorrow.....
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Some of them were abused even after they died.

QuoteIn 1993 the exhumation, transfer and cremation of the remains of 155 former residents of a Magdalene laundry in Dublin by an order of nuns clearing its land for sale sparked public outrage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2013/0626/458949-magdalene/
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I see the Bethany home residents/abused are now moaning looking moolah as well,though you can't blame the catholic church for this one.Exactly my point,where is this all going to end now in terms of compensation claims,and surely if the Magdalene laundries inmates deserve compensation,  how can the Bethany inmates be denied?

Eamonnca1

Should have thought about that when they were dishing out the abuse. Youse have been busted. Suck it up.