Vilamoura - good, bad or indifferent

Started by tyroneman, June 12, 2013, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Most of the places we are thinking of are too dear at the minute as a quality hotel is a must.

Vilamoura however looks like it might be reasonable for 4/5 star.

Anyone been?

mouview

Thought you were on about the Barce' manager there for a moment...

sans pessimism

Quote from: tyroneman on June 12, 2013, 09:59:20 PM
Most of the places we are thinking of are too dear at the minute as a quality hotel is a must.

Vilamoura however looks like it might be reasonable for 4/5 star.

Anyone been?
Throne man,been loads for golf which it really caters for -expensively I
might add.Nice beach and marina but most of the hotels
are older and a little tired .Tivoli marina prob the best.El Trio restaurant
behind o Sheas Irish bar(kip, by the way) is a little gem
Cabin bar on the marina has live music but the girls tend
to be a little 'over friendly '!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Muzz

Great spot though I went off season so was quiet and full swing of summer was not in place. Marina is nice and some great bars there too. Food isn't expensive but we did go all inclusive which was a waste of money other than the drink. 

maddog

Vilamoura is fine. Its a purpose built resort a couple of miles from what i think is its old town Quarteria. There are plenty of bars and restaurants but trick is not to eat in the ones bang on the marina as they are the most expensive. Go a couple of streets / squares back and you will find some decent ones less expensive. Its very golf orientated and wouldnt say its an area to go to if you want nightlife. Would recommend hiring a car in the area as there is lots to see around there. Head up to Foia / Monchique (highest point in Algarve), Alvor (fishing village) and Tavira are worth a day trip, a drive to Cape St Vincent is a must (think cliffs of moher with sunshine), Olhos d'agua one of the many very nice beaches. Albufeira isnt up to much but some nice enough spots just a few miles outside it. If you make it to Cape St Vincent drop into Sagres and the restaurant above the boat yard for lunch and a beer. Lovely.

AZOffaly

The Algarve is one of my favourite spots in the world. The lads have covered off Villamoura I think, fairly well. It is basically a marina with a lot of golf around it. Yachts and Golf. If they are your thing, then go for it.

Albufeira new town is very Ibiza-y, but old town is nice. There are lovely smaller fishing villages and bigger towns along the coast like Alvor, Armacáo de Pera and Lagos. I was in Lagos last year, and it was great. Lovely beaches, nice snorkelling areas, a fantastic sail boat trip, nice restaurants, etc etc.

Vilamoura would be a different animal to those towns, as I said fairly purpose built, but I really don't think you can go too far wrong in the Algarve, especially if you hire a car.

We won't be going abroad this year with the newborn, but the first trip we take will be to Portugal, I'm sure.