Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quarter final
22nd June - Mayo v Leitrim - McHale park - 5 30 PM
Semi finals
23rd June - Roscommon v Sligo - Carrick on Shannon - 1:30 pm
30th June - Galway v Leitrim/Mayo -  Tuam or Carrick
Final
21st July  ------        v     -------- - 12pm - Dr Hyde park,Salthill or McHale park

10 days from the start of this championship we are going for 3 in row but are only 3rd in the odds. Arguably we don't have the panel of last the two years but now have better management.

Galway having won the minor league and every game are the favourites plus they have the pick of a few Tedd Webb cup winning teams.

Mayo stronger looking Mayo side than last few years with more scoring forwards under new management and school sides have performed well.

Sligo got within a few points of Mayo last year will be looking to improve on that this year and with St. Attractas All-Ireland B champions to pick from they will be tough to beat.

Leitrim Well beaten by Mayo in the league maybe they can give a better account of themselves in the championship.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on June 12, 2013, 01:15:12 AM
Quarter final
22nd June - Mayo v Leitrim - McHale park - 5 30 PM
Semi finals
24th June - Roscommon v Sligo - Carrick on Shannon - 1:30 pm
30th June - Galway v Leitrim/Mayo -  Tuam or Carrick
Final
21st July  ------        v     -------- - 12pm - Dr Hyde park,Salthill or McHale park

10 days from the start of this championship we are going for 3 in row but are only 3rd in the odds. Arguably we don't have the panel of last the two years but now have better management.

Galway having won the minor league and every game are the favourites plus they have the pick of a few Tedd Webb cup winning teams.

Mayo stronger looking Mayo side than last few years with more scoring forwards under new management and school sides have performed well.

Sligo got within a few points of Mayo last year will be looking to improve on that this year and with St. Attractas All-Ireland B champions to pick from they will be tough to beat.

Leitrim Well beaten by Mayo in the league maybe they can give a better account of themselves in the championship.

Leitrim looked tasty enough in Kiltoom in the league. They probably have a better chance than anyone gives them credit for but Mayo will still probably account for them at home.

Our game is one where we need to keep our feet on the ground. We beat Sligo comfortably enough in the league without the Strokestown lads (and them without the Attracta's players) and with minors the worry is always about them buying into their own hype and looking beyond what's in front of them. Sligo have plenty of good colleges players and will obviously play with a chip on their shoulders. A bit like ourselves against Mayo on Sunday, in a way. We're lucky to have a man as grounded as Fergie to keep the team focused.  Sligo are capable of beating us and we'd do well to remember that.

With an AIQF on the table for the winner it would be disastrous for us to lose the semi. We probably have a better pack of forwards than previous years but the management needs to tighten up silly lapses at the back that lead to goals if we're going to make a real tilt at a Connacht title or an AISF.

I'd expect Galway to emerge from the other side and if we are lucky enough to make it to the final it'd be doing well to be as good as our minor league tie.

ck

Sligo minors may surprise a few people. We played earlier games without a few of the colleges lads, two of whom are county u.21s. Sligo minors, watch this space!  ??? 8)

sans pessimism

Saw Galway minors v us in the league and was
impressed but DOC wasn't playin for Mayo that day.I think
Galways downfall will be their manager-JD is a lunatic n shudnt be let inside
the gate with the antics I saw that eve in Corofin!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Rossfan

Unless we've overcome our goal leaking problem we won't be going anywhere after 23rd June.
However with the present management I'm hoping that has been sorted out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ck on June 12, 2013, 10:46:28 AM
Sligo minors may surprise a few people. We played earlier games without a few of the colleges lads, two of whom are county u.21s. Sligo minors, watch this space!  ??? 8)
I just dunno anymore about Sligo football, the minors are a complete enigma, great at schools levels, and these minors may even go on to light up the club championship but for whatever reason in the past our minor player underperform drastically in connacht, lets see there no pressure on them because no one expects anything, not many from Sligo will be at the game so lets hope the enigma is broken. For what its worth Good Luck everyone involved with Sligo Minors. We could do with a boost that day imparticular .
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

You always play minor league games without the college lads. For what it's worth we beat Sligo by 5 but it was level with 10mins to go, one of those U-21 lads (Kevin McDonnell) scored a goal against us. Both were missing around 8 starters so i can't read much into that game.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 12, 2013, 04:11:24 PM
I just dunno anymore about Sligo football, the minors are a complete enigma, great at schools levels, and these minors may even go on to light up the club championship but for whatever reason in the past our minor player underperform drastically in connacht, lets see there no pressure on them because no one expects anything, not many from Sligo will be at the game so lets hope the enigma is broken. For what its worth Good Luck everyone involved with Sligo Minors. We could do with a boost that day imparticular .

I'd echo that. There's a good setup there, some decent players too. If they hit a bit of form on the day they're well capable of doing it. We could really do with some sort of lift and maybe when it's least expected might be the time.

ck

Keep the faith! I'm reliably informed that this is a quality team and are progressing nicely. They beat Tyrone minors recently. I'm expecting a bit of a breakthrough this year

Mano

Quote from: ck on June 13, 2013, 09:45:00 AM

Keep the faith! I'm reliably informed that this is a quality team and are progressing nicely. They beat Tyrone minors recently. I'm expecting a bit of a breakthrough this year
They also lost to Leitrim in a challenge and I believe the man earmarked for centre back has pulled out of the squad. The real barometer of their progress will be against Roscommon in the championship.

Farrandeelin

Mayo team and subs v Leitrim.

1)  Marc Mulligan - Claremorris
2)  Eddie Doran - Achill
3)  Seamus Cunniffe - Ballaghaderreen
4)  David Kenny - Aghamore
5)  Ronan Finn - Claremorris
6)  Stephen Coen (Captain) - Hollymount/Carramore
7)  Michael Hall - Breaffy
8)  Val Roughneen - Balla
9)  Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
10) Brian Walsh - Ballintubber
11) Conor Loftus - Crossmolina
12) Cian Hanley - Ballaghaderreen
13) Tommy Conroy - Kiltane
14) Liam Irwin - Breaffy
15) Darragh Doherty - Kilmaine

16)  Mathew Flanagan - Balla
17)  Stephen Brennan - Claremorris
18)  Sean Conlon - Castlebar Mitchels
19)  Hugh Cafferty - Crossmolina
20)  Mathew Ruane - Breaffy
21)  Padraig Prendergast - Louisburgh
22)  Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
23)  Stephen Burke - Ballinrobe
24)  Conor Byrne - Moy Davitts
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Sligo
1.   Eoin McDonagh (Coolaney/Mullinabreena)
2.   Pearse Gorman (Coolaney/Mullinabreena)
3.   Cian Kilmartin (Tubbercurry)
4.   Stephen Keenan (St. Marys)
5.   Liam Henry (St. Marys)
6.   Kevin McDonnell (Castleconnor)
7.   Jamie Gillen (Drumcliffe/Rosses Point)
8.   Cian Brehony (St Marys)
9.   Kevin Henry (Geevagh)
10.   Kenneth Gavigan (Tourlestrane)
11.   Cathal Henry (Tourlestrane)
12.   Stephen Kearns (St. Johns)
13.   Jason Perry (Tubbercurry)
14.   Darragh Cummins (Calry/St. Josephs)
15.   Stephen Henry (St. Marys)

Roscommon
1. Shane Mannion (St. Brigids)
2. David Neary (Strokestown)   
3. Sean Mullooly (Strokestown)   
4. Martin Flannery (Clann na nGael)   
5. Ronan Daly (C) (Padraig Pearses)   
6. Evan Mc Grath (Boyle)   
7. Shane Pettit (Clann na nGael)   
8. Cathal Compton (Strokestown)   
9. Ultan Harney (Clann na nGael)   
10. Tadgh O'Rourke (Tulsk Lord Edwards)
11. Niall Connaughton (Castlerea St. Kevins)
12. Jack Early (Oran)   
13. John Gannon (Kilmore)
14. Diarmuid McGann (Strokestown)   
15. Diarmuid Murtagh (St. Faithleachs)

By my count both sides have made 9-10 changes from the league game.

Syferus

Is Henry Walsh injured? Looks a real prospect. Even without him Gannon and the two Diarmuids look like a talented forward lne.

ross4life

Walsh must be carrying a knock, was our top scorer in the league with 2-17.

ross4life