Kildare v Dublin thread - where did it go?

Started by inexile, June 06, 2013, 03:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Drummerboy on June 09, 2013, 01:07:37 PM
The reply of the Leinster Hurling quarter final between Wexford and Dublin has been set for Parnell Park, which has caused Liam Dunne, the Wexford manager, to complain. He contends the game should be played in Croke Park.

I guess  you can't keep everybody happy.
for all the whinging by eejits, all intercounty players WANT to play in croker - whether its against the dubs or not, and even if the dubs are your opponents, no one gives a feck that there 'may' be some home advantage (though most top sides play there as much as Dublin do these days so its hardly any advantage to the metropolitans) !

I'd say parnell park would be considered more of an advantage to Dublin teams ! They play there more often (esp hurling) in the past in league games at least.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 09, 2013, 10:56:10 AM
I always kind of liked the Rossies. Dermot Early came to our club when we were underage footballers and gave us a really nice talk. We've played challenge matches against Clan na Gael, Brigids, Padraic Pearses etc, and got on great with all of them. Roscommon football is similar to Offaly football in a lot of ways.

So it's a real achievement for Syferus to make me hope that Mayo hammer them out the gate!

Jesus - we're not that bad, yet.

Back to Dublin. And Kildare too. But mostly Dublin.

Dont Matter

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 09, 2013, 02:16:38 PM
The reply of the Leinster Hurling quarter final between Wexford and Dublin has been set for Parnell Park, which has caused Liam Dunne, the Wexford manager, to complain. He contends the game should be played in Croke Park.

for all the whinging by eejits, all intercounty players WANT to play in croker - whether its against the dubs or not, and even if the dubs are your opponents, no one gives a feck that there 'may' be some home advantage (though most top sides play there as much as Dublin do these days so its hardly any advantage to the metropolitans) !

I'd say parnell park would be considered more of an advantage to Dublin teams ! They play there more often (esp hurling) in the past in league games at least.

This fella is like those students from around the country who head to college in Dublin and come back with a D4 accent a few months later. A feeble character.
The reason Dunne wants the game moved to Croke Park is because they haven't played a championship game there since 2008!!!!! Nearly as long as the Dublin footballers have played a game away from Croke Park. I know you don't like me pointing out facts but you can always come up with some off the wall reason for this occurring.
Yes, players like playing in Croke Park but not against Dublin. Obviously because it's giving away home advantage. You didn't see Dunne calling for the game the other day being moved to Croke Park did you? Dessie Dolan said he'd have loved if their game against Dublin was in Mullingar.
Finally to your point in brackets "(though most top sides play there as much as Dublin do these days so its hardly any advantage to the metropolitans)." You're some joker.
I can go find out the stats and make a show of you again or you can accept that that sentence is nonsense.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on June 09, 2013, 03:20:36 PM

This fella is like those students from around the country who head to college in Dublin and come back with a D4 accent a few months later. A feeble character.
The reason Dunne wants the game moved to Croke Park is because they haven't played a championship game there since 2008!!!!! Nearly as long as the Dublin footballers have played a game away from Croke Park. I know you don't like me pointing out facts but you can always come up with some off the wall reason for this occurring.
Yes, players like playing in Croke Park but not against Dublin. Obviously because it's giving away home advantage. You didn't see Dunne calling for the game the other day being moved to Croke Park did you? Dessie Dolan said he'd have loved if their game against Dublin was in Mullingar.
Finally to your point in brackets "(though most top sides play there as much as Dublin do these days so its hardly any advantage to the metropolitans)." You're some joker.
I can go find out the stats and make a show of you again or you can accept that that sentence is nonsense.
you seem to have a keen insight into players and managers minds!
Why did the Wexford footballers last year give up home advantage and opt instead to play the Dublin footballers in Croke Park?

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on June 09, 2013, 03:39:24 PM
Why did the Wexford footballers last year give up home advantage and opt instead to play the Dublin footballers in Croke Park?

They had their reasons. Maybe they didn't want to be the first team to take them out of Croke Park. We all know that it's such a rarity, so a load of Dubs will travel down. Like against Cork back in the day. No one wants to be first but if it becomes a regular thing (like it should), then the novelty factor will be worn off and there will be fairer matches.
Maybe Wexford thought it would show a sign of weakness. By taking them on in Croke Park they'd show they think they can compete. Mind management is huge these days. Whatever the reason, they showed that they could give them a game and if it was in Wexford Park they probably would have beaten them.
Peter Quinn

lynchbhoy

my point exactly.

jeez- any player I ever knew was always mad to go play in croke park - irrespective of the opposition.
Thats where the quarter finals, semi finals and finals are held, so you want to get used to playing there - plus its the 'mecca' for any footballer/hurler.

Some fans eg Kerry get fed up playing there too often as they so often qualify to play there, and its a heck of a spin for a lot of them. I'd think it was fair enough for games to be played in Thurles - but I dont know if players would agree with that.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on June 09, 2013, 03:52:30 PM

They had their reasons. Maybe they didn't want to be the first team to take them out of Croke Park. We all know that it's such a rarity, so a load of Dubs will travel down. Like against Cork back in the day. No one wants to be first but if it becomes a regular thing (like it should), then the novelty factor will be worn off and there will be fairer matches.
Maybe Wexford thought it would show a sign of weakness. By taking them on in Croke Park they'd show they think they can compete. Mind management is huge these days. Whatever the reason, they showed that they could give them a game and if it was in Wexford Park they probably would have beaten them.
congratulations you've  just contradicted you're argument that Dublin have an unfair advantage playing in Croke park.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on June 09, 2013, 06:50:00 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on June 09, 2013, 03:52:30 PM

congratulations you've  just contradicted you're argument that Dublin have an unfair advantage playing in Croke park.

What are you on wacko? Actually don't answer that, I can guess.
How have I contradicted myself? Wexford ran Dublin very close last year, if they played at home they probably would have won ie home advantage would have been that, an advantage.
Since Dublin were at home they had the advantage. You see? It's basic stuff.
Peter Quinn

BartSimpson

Jesus. Don't matter is a shit choice of name for you. Soembody has 2 have the HQ in their back garden, so it's in the capital. Get over it.

Hav to laugh at Indiana 2. Tink I know him from another site I read. Mister I'm always rite.
guwan the parish

Jell 0 Biafra

Beginning to sense a second deleted game thread for this one.

boro

On a point of information, Wexford never ceded home advantage last year, the Leinster Council fixed the game for Croke Park. We would have loved to play the Dubs in Wexford.

Canalman

Quote from: boro on June 11, 2013, 07:52:39 AM

On a point of information, Wexford never ceded home advantage last year, the Leinster Council fixed the game for Croke Park. We would have loved to play the Dubs in Wexford.

99% sure game was entitled to be played in Wexford Park if Wexford County Board wanted it. They didn't and game was fixed for CP. As to why they wanted the game played in CP I don't really know.

Have to say I had a wry smile when I heard Liam Dunne looking for replay to be played in CP.

Despite the cyberwhinging I am convinced that every player in the country wants to  and loves playing in CP, regardless of who they are playing.

Ohtoohtobe

Any chance of renaming this thread and having a proper one for the match?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Id say Jason Ryan will be at breaking point if the lillies loose this one ............................. Hes a great addition to kildare