Westmeath win +€1 for you.

Draw - Double or quits?

No post-dated or 3rd party cheques though

Bitcoin?
MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on May 30, 2013, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 30, 2013, 11:39:46 AM
Are ye Dubs happy with the all out attack style or would ye rather see some sort of defensive system in place?

I suppose the temptation is to keep attacking against the so called level 2/3 teams but then will they be able to switch over when they meet a so called big gun?

Only 1 team conceeded less than us in the league (Donegal) and that was only 1 point less so we can't be that bad defensively and that was missing Cluxton, ROC, McCarthy, Nolan etc for most of the league....

I don't give any credence to the statement we were missing loads of players from our defence during the league.

Cluxton only missed 2 games and ROC 3 of the 7 regular NFL games. Although no doubt O'Carroll was a loss for the knockout stages.

Barring the injury to ROC, Gavin's first choice defence played pretty much throughout the nine games of the league - Cluxton (7),  O'Brien(9)-ROC(4)-Cooper(8 ), McCaffrey(9)-Brennan(8 )-Daly(9). Injuries permitting that's going to be his defence for championship, with the exception that McCarthy could well force his way in.  McMahon and Fitzsimons will only be subs. Nolan's been struggling for fitness due to illness and probably won't feature at all, he may even have dropped off the panel given he was back playing club football last night.

Individually the lads who've played have all done well, but there's no doubt there have been times when our attacking system has left a sea of space for opposition forwards to work in. The league final being the prime example and I thought we were lucky that Tyrone did not exploit that more.

My own view (with nothing to back it up other than hunch) is that eventually Gavin will move to picking one of his more mobile defenders (one of O'Sullivan, McCarthy, Cooper, McMahon) at wing forward where they'll play as an extra midfielder or a sweeper behind the midfield, and who will provide cover when our actual defenders make their surging runs forward.

Canalman

Personally would be alot more comfortable with Cian O'Sullivan in the defence. O'Carroll is our rock in defence and is imvho the one player we cannot do without under any circumstances.

Kevin Nolan (if fit) should also be in there.

Will be interesting to see how Westmeath do as the trend this season seems to indicate the gulf between Divs 1 and 2 is widening.

Midfield (once again) is our achilles heel. Foraging like demons for the breaking ball will only get you so far if your midfield can't catch its fair share of kickouts.

Syferus

This sure looks like a tasty encounter for the Dubs.

Wildweasel74

That looks to be Dublin full out, strong looking team, plus got the sub bench to match

Zulu

Well that's the Dubs going for the jugular and if that's an indication of Gavin's thought process he is hanging his hat on the all out attack option. I hope it works out for him this year, it will be great for football if a team who back themselves to outshoot opponents wins Sam.

heffo

Happy with that team - I think we'll see 11/12 of that team being first choice, Alan Brogan to come in when fit and 3/4 changes depending on the opposition

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on May 30, 2013, 11:25:32 PM
Well that's the Dubs going for the jugular and if that's an indication of Gavin's thought process he is hanging his hat on the all out attack option. I hope it works out for him this year, it will be great for football if a team who back themselves to outshoot opponents wins Sam.

It would be great alright.

But if they ever meet Donegal that could change.

Hound

Quote from: heffo on May 31, 2013, 09:18:40 AM
Happy with that team - I think we'll see 11/12 of that team being first choice, Alan Brogan to come in when fit and 3/4 changes depending on the opposition
Someone could always get injured or someone could get an unexpected roasting, but otherwise I think Jim will stick with 13 or 14 of these lads in his starting line-up throughout.

Of course if we get beaten in Leinster, there could be plenty of changes.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 30, 2013, 02:09:30 PM
I'd be slightly concerned that Dublin have not employed a slightly more defensive formation during play , with the emphasis on attacking quickly and utilizing their young extremely athletic and good ball skilled players in counter attack.
I'd agree that not doing this will cause problems for themselves against the strongest teams.

Westmeath are a good side but really shouldn't be close at the end of the march. With good weather it should be Dublin by around 10 points.

Westmeath have the upper hand in midfield. Heslin is a good player but the few times I've seen big Duffy , he has impressed me. Goes out of the game a bit but I think he is good. Not rated or liked by a good few of the Westmeath contingent ive spoken to in the past.
I'd like him on my squad if I was the manager!

I hope not, but I expect two executions in croker this weekend.

Duff has taken a bit of stick in the past alright but has been going well this year, seems to have taken it upon himself to provide a bit of a leadership role what with all the young lads on the team.

Very strong Dublin team, surprised they are starting with Kilkenny instead of Cullen, some task to keep all that shower quiet. Any Dubs I've been speaking to are very confident of a victory of 5+ points. The ones on here are either the exception or speaking out of both sides of their mouths  :P

If I was Pat I'd try to drag O'Carroll out of there and target the débutantes in the corners early.

Oh, and get bodies back. Lots of them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 31, 2013, 10:52:25 AM
If I was Pat I'd try to drag O'Carroll out of there and target the débutantes in the corners early.

Oh, and get bodies back. Lots of them.
Yeah, not sure we'd fall for that one though. Plan will be to keep O'Carroll on the edge of the square and let Daly follow any rambler. Cooper to pick up Dessie I'd guess, which will be a big challenge for the young lad.

Bod Mor

Quote from: orangeman on May 31, 2013, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: Zulu on May 30, 2013, 11:25:32 PM

It would be great alright.

But if they ever meet Donegal that could change.
Who beat them last year?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Ohtoohtobe

If I was a Dublin fan my main worry this summer would be the persistence with Connolly. A brilliant scorer when he catches fire but he is mad enough to cost them an All-Ireland when we get to the high-pressure games in August and September. I'd also have similar concerns about Ger Brennan, but not to the same degree.

Hound

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 31, 2013, 02:04:38 PM
If I was a Dublin fan my main worry this summer would be the persistence with Connolly. A brilliant scorer when he catches fire but he is mad enough to cost them an All-Ireland when we get to the high-pressure games in August and September. I'd also have similar concerns about Ger Brennan, but not to the same degree.
Connolly's madness has never cost us a game, but his brilliance has won us a good few, so I think he's worth the risk.

Jihad Ger has almost cost us a couple of big games in the past, but has been bailed out by teammates. But I think he's copped on at this stage and is in very good form, so again I think its a no brainer that he's our centre half back