Westmeath Vs Dublin - Croke Park

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 29, 2013, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

I think all indications are that Westmeath are going to park the bus, keep it tight and live on scraps.

With weaknesses in Dublin's midfield I'd nearly go for a shootout with them - as someone else said it's all the same to be beaten by ten as it is by one

BluestackBoy

A lot of very cautious Dublin men on here ??? ??? ???
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: neilthemac on May 29, 2013, 11:19:05 PM
Dublin by 1 or 2

based on

a Westmeath's superior midfield Dublin are the ones with a 2011 All Star in midfield
b them closing down the short kickout options
c Dublin usually not firing on full throttle until later rounds Last year Dublin hammered Louth (who beat us) out the gate in the first round. Jim Galvin teams also have the tradition of not taking the foot off the pedal as was seen up in Donegal when they had nothing to play for.
d few injuries for Dubs Only Kevin McMenamin to the best of my knowledge and he wouldn't be starting anyway. Can you count Alan Brogan at this stage?

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2013, 08:42:11 PM
Hope Westmeath don't go into this with an attitude of having Nothing to lose. First of all there is a game to be lost and secondly if you lose and you lose narrowly to a decent side you go better into the Qualifiers. A mauling after all the good work this year could be their undoing for the season!

I agree with most of that. Like any match they'll be going in to win but all the expectation and pressure is on the Dubs. They played some scintillating football during the league and the neutrals eyes are being turned by them. The bookies have us completely written off and everything is stacked against us. We need a very strong referee to stand a chance. We have nothing to lose but shouldn't go in with that attitude.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Haven't saw WM for a good while?
Do they play a defensive system?

If they don't or only pull one man back into defence I think Dublin will tear ye to shreds.
On the other hand during the league they were quite open at the back themselves so it could be a high scoring affair.

Dinny Breen

Obviously with my Westmeath connections I'll be roaring on the Maroon so looking forward to this, just want to see a good game of football though. Dublin by 5 for me.

Weather forecast is good for Saturday, might get 40K there for the two games.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

A bit nervous about the game. We could have about 5 lads making their first championship start, so will be interesting to see how they react. Also be interesting to see how Gavin sets us up. We played pretty much the same attacking style thoughout the league, but I'd be fairly sure that Gavin does have a Plan B up his sleeve to release at some stage during the championship.   

Westmeath clearly did really well to win promotion so the form guide would say they're the third best team in Leinster, thus they deserve plenty of respect.

Hopefully a good crowd will turn up. As usual no advertising of it as a possible bank holiday activity. There'll be plenty of people (who we often disparagingly call fairweather fans) who won't even know its on.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on May 30, 2013, 08:52:37 AM
We'll make it interesting, a Euro?

Sound.

Dubs win +€1 for me.
Westmeath win +€1 for you.

Draw - Double or quits?
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

Are ye Dubs happy with the all out attack style or would ye rather see some sort of defensive system in place?

I suppose the temptation is to keep attacking against the so called level 2/3 teams but then will they be able to switch over when they meet a so called big gun?

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 30, 2013, 11:39:46 AM
Are ye Dubs happy with the all out attack style or would ye rather see some sort of defensive system in place?

I suppose the temptation is to keep attacking against the so called level 2/3 teams but then will they be able to switch over when they meet a so called big gun?

Happy watching nice style of football - concerned about how it'll work against the top teams

squire_in_navy_slacks

I think W/Meath will score an early goal and we will eventually claw it back to get a draw or 1/2 pt win on the evening...........................great game in prospect

heffo

Quote from: muppet on May 30, 2013, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 30, 2013, 08:52:37 AM
We'll make it interesting, a Euro?

Sound.

Dubs win +€1 for me.
Westmeath win +€1 for you.

Draw - Double or quits?

No post-dated or 3rd party cheques though

DUBSFORSAM1

Only 1 team conceeded less than us in the league (Donegal) and that was only 1 point less so we can't be that bad defensively and that was missing Cluxton, ROC, McCarthy, Nolan etc for most of the league....

BluestackBoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on May 30, 2013, 12:33:33 PM

Only 1 team conceeded less than us in the league (Donegal) and that was only 1 point less so we can't be that bad defensively and that was missing Cluxton, ROC, McCarthy, Nolan etc for most of the league....

Looked very good in the league & some serious players to come back, mind you the latter stages of the championship it's more about testicular fortitude than football ability.
A favourite insult from Mick O'Dwyer used to be that such & such a county were "great in the league".
Joint favourites at 3/1 with Donegal & the contrast in styles would make for a great game.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Declan

QuoteHappy watching nice style of football - concerned about how it'll work against the top teams

+1

lynchbhoy

I'd be slightly concerned that Dublin have not employed a slightly more defensive formation during play , with the emphasis on attacking quickly and utilizing their young extremely athletic and good ball skilled players in counter attack.
I'd agree that not doing this will cause problems for themselves against the strongest teams.

Westmeath are a good side but really shouldn't be close at the end of the march. With good weather it should be Dublin by around 10 points.

Westmeath have the upper hand in midfield. Heslin is a good player but the few times I've seen big Duffy , he has impressed me. Goes out of the game a bit but I think he is good. Not rated or liked by a good few of the Westmeath contingent ive spoken to in the past.
I'd like him on my squad if I was the manager!

I hope not, but I expect two executions in croker this weekend.