Paul Grimley - Statement to Armagh fans

Started by ranch, May 23, 2013, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: Canalman on May 23, 2013, 12:46:49 PM
The more I hear and see about this guy (PG) the more I like him. Respect his way of playing football and they would have won on Sunday if they had better footballers.
Imo he will leave  the Armagh players better off than when he got them when he finishes up.

We have plenty of whingers here and on the media (especially) giving out about bland press conferences and after match interviews ................. yet PG and his team will take the flak for their openness. You cannot win sometimes.

Both he and Jim Gavin are ploughing a lone furrow and hope both (obviously in one instance) do very well this year.

which one?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

BennyHarp

I'd still maintain that Grimleys tactic of pushing up on the retreating forward (although hardly revolutionary) is a valid one and I'd have no issue with him trying it out and with better and (more importantly) harder working players, they would have turned over position more in the Cavan half and punished them. Had Mark Shields kicked 1-2 (as he got himself into the positions to  do so in the second half) Armagh may have won the game and we may be saying how well Armagh coped with a blanket defence after a shaky start and perhaps suggesting that, just maybe, it was the way forward.

His big mistake was not having the ability to change his style. He could have dropped one man back without compromising his own general gameplan. Unfortunately, he's been making mistakes ever since and that statement is embarrassing and should have been vetted and never been allowed to be issued. He's like a man who is cracking!
That was never a square ball!!

Orior

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 23, 2013, 12:23:39 AM
Apart from the bad spelling and the complete lack of proper punctuation this is the greatest pile of poo I've read in a long time.

Jesus, if every time Longford played badly and the manager felt the need to release a statement there would be large areas of Brazil cleared.

Ridiculous thing to do if it's for real.

The spelling looks fine to me, son.

Remember the end of the McDonnell era when a player released team news before a match? Maybe big Paul was getting his spoke in first before any revolt.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

I think this type of baring of the soul is important for the processes of recovery to commence.  We must admit our weakness, put it out there and then deal with it.

Seriously though -  Is Armagh  the most cannibalistic county in Ireland? The bitchin about an all ireland winning legend by their own people is incredible.  10 years ago Canavan was a diver and this and that, then Paul Galvin was this and that, now their own man is this and that.  If I was Mc Geeney Id be re-signing not resigning with Kildare.  Do Armagh people know that the rest of the country is watching their bitchin.  Have a bit of pride lads.

imtommygunn

Don't forget Tyrone "fans" booed their own player in the past. Glass houses and all that.

ardchieftain

Some seriously ridiculous reactions here. The statement wasn't that big of a surprise going by the openness policy adopted this season. It was obviously made to take some flak away from the players. I admire the honesty. Let's see how Armagh get on in the qualifiers, then we can judge.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Orior on May 23, 2013, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 23, 2013, 12:23:39 AM
Apart from the bad spelling and the complete lack of proper punctuation this is the greatest pile of poo I've read in a long time.

Jesus, if every time Longford played badly and the manager felt the need to release a statement there would be large areas of Brazil cleared.

Ridiculous thing to do if it's for real.

QuoteThe spelling looks fine to me, son.

Quoteour county board whom put there faith in me 6 months ago

rrhf

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2013, 01:35:40 PM
Don't forget Tyrone "fans" booed their own player in the past. Glass houses and all that.

I still believe that was a myth perpetuated by monkeys.

BennyHarp

Quote from: rrhf on May 23, 2013, 01:52:05 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2013, 01:35:40 PM

I still believe that was a myth perpetuated by monkeys.

Are these the same monkeys who started the rumour about Tyrone sending back tickets for the game on Sunday?
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

I actually admire grimleys  approach - I think there's a school of thought slowly rising to the surface between Gavin, Harte and grimley and evidenced by the game of the year in the national league final  managers who get there teams to play free flowing footballing as opposed to what we seen for the last 3 seasons. I'm all for it. Pioneers

DuffleKing

Whatever about Gavin and Grimley, there's no evidence of Harte believing that. He's on record as recently as last week that the only way to beat Donegal is to ape their style. The clash of those two teams last year in clones was the most turgid, flair devoid game in my lifetime.

balladmaker

The fact that PG released a statement doesn't surprise me given the flak he has received since Sunday.

However, I find the actual content very worrying ... no plan B until plan A is perfected ... WTF!  Naive in the extreme, I'd hope any manager with any common sense would have at least plan A and B in place for any game.

I wish PG all the best for the qualifier game(s) ahead, however, he needs to cop on a bit and do what was obvious to every Armagh supporter last Sunday.  No point playing in an attack state of mind, leaving your back line wide open, when you only have one scoring forward who happened to be double and triple marked.

T Fearon

Mickey Harte and entire Tyrone management team were at Breffni last  Sunday. Huddled at back of the stand at half time having a confab. Doubt if they were concerned about much from either team playing there though!

stew

Quote from: theticklemister on May 23, 2013, 07:24:25 AM
He sounds like a big woman!

The brothers Grim.......more like the sisters Gay

Here internet warrior.............................. tell you what, why don't you go up to any one of them, pick one and tell him what you think of him and his brothers, you would be a red splat on the pavement you cowardly ballix!

I think there was no need for Paul to send this statement, I am also shocked that he seem's to not want a plan B until plan A is perfected, not good, i don't know what has happened him, maybe he is one of those good club managers that can't get the job done as the main man at Senior level.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

theticklemister

Quote from: stew on May 23, 2013, 04:30:27 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 23, 2013, 07:24:25 AM
He sounds like a big woman!

The brothers Grim.......more like the sisters Gay

Here internet warrior.............................. tell you what, why don't you go up to any one of them, pick one and tell him what you think of him and his brothers, you would be a red splat on the pavement you cowardly ballix!

I think there was no need for Paul to send this statement, I am also shocked that he seem's to not want a plan B until plan A is perfected, not good, i don't know what has happened him, maybe he is one of those good club managers that can't get the job done as the main man at Senior level.

Grimley's total honesty is his weakness.