Stoops support SPADS, Sinn Fein sad and mad.

Started by T Fearon, May 21, 2013, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

What's the view on this SPAD Bill at Stormont by Jim Allister, trying to prevent those convicted of serious crime (ie murder) from taking up positions of Special Advisors to Stormont Ministers?

Also what's your view of Ann Travers? It was a terrible loss she suffered, but surely she has at least had the comfort of knowing that Mary Mc Ardle was convicted and served time for her involvement in the murder of her sister. Has she a right to expect more, and that people like Mc Ardle should never be permitted to become a Special Advisor at Stormont?

Orior

I believe Ann Travers is being used as a pawn to further the agenda of Jim Allister and others.

After 600 years of occupation, troubles and strife everyone has an axe to grind - so why give one victim higher priority than another?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Maybe someone could bring in a Bill to prevent bigots being MLAs or Advisors.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

My thoughts entirely.I think she is losing sympathy for her case, and ignoring anomalies like Allister sharing platforms with loyalist killers. Seems like the only victim she cares about is herself

armaghniac

I also think special advisers should be required to sign a declaration that the Plantation of Ulster was Ethnic Cleansing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dougal Maguire

As a matter of interest what exactly was Mary McArdles role in the killing? Did she pull the trigger or had she a 'supportive' role?
Careful now

glens abu

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 04:36:01 PM
My thoughts entirely.I think she is losing sympathy for her case, and ignoring anomalies like Allister sharing platforms with loyalist killers. Seems like the only victim she cares about is herself
Her sister was murdered.  That has to be one of the most unpleasant sentences posted on this board in some time.

ranch

Quote from: michaelg on May 21, 2013, 08:50:50 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 04:36:01 PM
Her sister was murdered.  That has to be one of the most unpleasant sentences posted on this board in some time.

Possibly, but if you read the sentence before it then it's a perfectly rational conclusion to come to.

Wildweasel74

to be honest, in all the time i applied for a jobs, any criminal record counted badly against you and rightly so, so why should the same law not apply to others, who already think they are above the law. If you murdered some one or attempted to, how can anyone take that person seriously whether reformed or not. Sinn Fein never coped on to do a clear out of their members serving that bring controversy and go with younger people with no criminal records that appeal to more of the nationalist population.

Wildweasel74

and in all honesty what qualifications do these special advisor have for the job, its more like a job for the lads, in this case woman scenario

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2013, 09:09:35 PM
to be honest, in all the time i applied for a jobs, any criminal record counted badly against you and rightly so, so why should the same law not apply to others, who already think they are above the law. If you murdered some one or attempted to, how can anyone take that person seriously whether reformed or not. Sinn Fein never coped on to do a clear out of their members serving that bring controversy and go with younger people with no criminal records that appeal to more of the nationalist population.
it didn't do Tony Blair's employment chances any harm
Careful now

glens abu

That's what ten men died for on hunger strike " we'll wear no convicts uniform nor meekly serve our time". Thatcher tried to criminalise Republican prisoners and failed so think again.You,Jim Allister nor anyone else will change that.

T Fearon

This woman Travers is getting on my nerves.Of course she suffered a terrible tragedy,that you wouldn't wish on anyone,but unlike many victims and their families,she had the satisfaction of seeing at least one person involved in the murder of her sister jailed.What more does she want or indeed has a right to expect?

She seems to have unfettered access to the media and Stormont Committees too.

dillinger

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2013, 09:09:35 PM
[/quote
Maybe Sinn Fein have a policy of rewarding ex prisoners/ volunteers?

Some day all criminal records relating to the troubles will be wiped clean.

As a Unionist, maybe sound strange to some others, i'm in favour off.