growing stuff

Started by lawnseed, May 10, 2013, 10:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Two nice wee projects for your young kids who will love it.

1) Grow a carrot tree
Slice the top of the carrot, set it in a saucer of water, then place the saucer on a window sill. About 3-4 weeks later - hey presto! You have a little carrot tree

2) Grow an apple tree
For this you need a jam jar, tissue paper and water. Place an a couple of apple seeds on the inside wall of a jam jar. Suspend the seeds on the wall by covering them with damp tissue paper. Keep putting water into the bottom of the jam jar to keep the tissue paper wet. Place the jam jar in a dark place. After about 8-10 weeks, hey presto, the seed will sprout roots. 
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

CD

Right - I've sorted out the greenfly problem - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ladybirds-natures-natural-control-pack-money-plants/dp/B000P9B672/ref=pd_sim_lp_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EX3T53PMW4M70EGBABR

and the slug problem - rock salt from the yellow road salt bin at the end of the street worked a treat! I had brought in two big bucket loads of it in December and never used it! I just sprinkled it on the ground at the foot of my planters having first picked all the slugs out of them.

Next on the hit list is the neighbour's cat. He is my nemesis. Just cut the lawn (moss to be honest) and had to peel on the rubber gloves for four of his doings! All suggestions considered although I must stress, I will only consider using the most humane method as it is perfectly acceptable for my neighbour to allow his filthy, smug, bird-murdering, mouse-slaughtering, hedgehog-torturing fecker of a cat to sh@t all over the garden where my children play. If any other local cats get caught in the crossfire, so be it.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Hardy

lawnseed

Not much in the line of produce coming this year for me. I just havent been able to get at it. But I have managed to get about 20 beautiful wee chestnuts to sprout in pots. So im gonna give them to friends who have suitable spots where they will get a decent chance to survive. I wont be around to see them very big but its something.  Also as wittnessed on this board we are all flat out putting wood burning stoves in our homes but whos planting the trees??
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Gaffer

Anyone  know where you can buy a greenhouse? Best type etc....

I know home base and b and q have them but I would like to view a few before I plunge!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

parttimeexile

Morris Polythene Greenhouses just outside omagh do various types if you are anywhere near there.

trueblue1234

I'm doing a great line in moss at the minute!!  :-[
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Over the Bar

QuoteAnyone  know where you can buy a greenhouse? Best type etc....

As my da, wise gardener as he was God rest him, said to all of us... don't buy a green house first off cos they are expensive and lots of people go from no gardening to a green house. 

They take maintenance and, if you decide gardening isn't for you, you won't even get a fraction of it when you sell on cos they are a hoor to take down and it will probably end up in the skip.
Start with grow-bags on the patio.  Easy easy.  If that floats your boat try a poly tunnel and vine tomatoes in hanging poly bags.  If you get on well you are ready for a green-house.

Gaffer

Quote from: Over the Bar on April 15, 2016, 09:08:05 PM
QuoteAnyone  know where you can buy a greenhouse? Best type etc....

As my da, wise gardener as he was God rest him, said to all of us... don't buy a green house first off cos they are expensive and lots of people go from no gardening to a green house. 

They take maintenance and, if you decide gardening isn't for you, you won't even get a fraction of it when you sell on cos they are a hoor to take down and it will probably end up in the skip.
Start with grow-bags on the patio.  Easy easy.  If that floats your boat try a poly tunnel and vine tomatoes in hanging poly bags.  If you get on well you are ready for a green-house.

Thanks for that. Now, anyone selling a second hand greenhouse?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"