growing stuff

Started by lawnseed, May 10, 2013, 10:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

does any of you grow vegetables or fruit for your own use.(stoops this refers to legal stuff) i'm thinking of putting up a small plastic tunnel. whats easy to grow and useful. spuds are a cert. but what else
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

theticklemister

Quote from: lawnseed on May 10, 2013, 10:16:54 PM
does any of you grow vegetables or fruit for your own use.(stoops this refers to legal stuff) i'm thinking of putting up a small plastic tunnel. whats easy to grow and useful. spuds are a cert. but what else

Is this where yer profile name originated from?

muppet

Quote from: theticklemister on May 10, 2013, 10:22:36 PM

Is this where yer profile name originated from?

It came from his small plastic tunnel.
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

if this weather sticks it.. yiz will looking a little something from my plastic tunnel we're looking at a food shortage in the making.

lawnseed

or if yiz head over to big als he'll give yiz stuff and ya wont give a shite about grub until it wears off

5 Sams

I have no problem growing grass. B*stard.
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Stuff like tomatoes, peppers, strawberries are handy enough grown indoors. I've had reasonable results with all three. Some great years, others average. But once you plant them, you just need to water and feed them.

I've tried courgettes inside too. They just grow and grow. They'll grow outside too. Stuff like lettuce and scallions I've done indoor and out, but I tend to stick more with the sturdier plants like those first three.

Peas or beans will grow like blazes too. Just need a net or trellis for them. Never tried the spuds so I can't comment.

It's hit and miss sometimes. Poor summers can affect your plants. As can the pests. You can be sure greenfly, red spider, slugs or some other wee shite will be out to undo all your hard work. Touch wood, the only plants I've had no trouble with in that regard is tomatoes. But they are prone to fungus diseases, which thankfully I haven't had.

That's all I can think of for now to mention. Give me a shout if you need any advice. I'm no expert like, but if I can pass on any tips to you, I will.

moysider

Welcome to the club.

If you re putting up a plastic tunnel get the biggest one you can fit in. More cost effective and you ll regret it later if you don t.

Yeah, spuds do well indoors. But a lot of people water them too much. No need.

Toms and peppers of course. Courgettes - only a couple of plants needed here or they ll take over like The Day Of The Triffids.

Strawberries.

Things like carrots, cabbage ( a few indoors at any time or during winter enough or they all mature at the same time), Parsnips, turnips, onions do better outdoors imo.

A vine does well. Plant the roots outside and have the wood, leaves and fruit inside. Tunnels are also great for keeping your chickens during the winter.

Ulick

At the minute I have strawberries growing in tin cans nailed to the neighbours fence. Spuds in grow bags around the garden. In the greenhouse loads of tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, beef tomatoes, lettuce, scallions, peppers, onions, parsnips and a few marijuana.

Hardy

I'm experimenting with growing spuds in a tower for the first time. Has anyone tried this?

The theory is that you can grow stones of spuds in a 2 sq. ft. tower by repeatedly adding soil to cover up leaf growth, leaving only about 3 inches of leaf showing above the soil. This supposedly forces the plant to produce new roots (spuds) to grow more leaves and so on. Apparently you can get up about 3 ft. high, full of spuds.

I've seen various claimed results on line, from huge crops to nothing.

I only started last week with a few late Roosters.

http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2013, 01:19:54 PM
I'm experimenting with growing spuds in a tower for the first time. Has anyone tried this?

The theory is that you can grow stones of spuds in a 2 sq. ft. tower by repeatedly adding soil to cover up leaf growth, leaving only about 3 inches of leaf showing above the soil. This supposedly forces the plant to produce new roots (spuds) to grow more leaves and so on. Apparently you can get up about 3 ft. high, full of spuds.

A pyramid spud scheme?
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2013, 01:19:54 PM

i've heard of folk growing spuds inside towers of tyres you just add tyres and soil as the plant grows.

lawnseed

this year has all the signs of another disaster for farmers. much of last years potato crop never got harvested and is going to be ploughed into the ground. the weather is so bad grass growth is the worst i've ever saw and response to fertiliser is practically nil. i think even at this stage it is safe to say your looking at huge rises in food prices and maybe food shortages. worldwide farmers are not fairing much better with new zealand/austrialia suffering drought. there are reports of food riots in mexico city where the flour to make tortias ran out. in america the government policy of promoting biofuel has put human needs for food in direct competition with the fuel industry. we peaked in terms of sustainable world population some time ago. the more human activity there is the worse we make it. we have to burn fuel to produce/transport food in sufficient quantities to feed ourselves and the more fuel we burn the worse the weather and therefore the yields get. cant see a quick fix for this

Hardy

I harvested my spud tower today. 11 Kg - not bad.

Pics

ONeill

Ye'd think ye'd give that table a lick of paint.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.