Club v County

Started by Captain Scarlet, May 07, 2013, 10:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Lads just wondering what is the story in the respective counties re county players being available for the clubs?
Just in Kildare as it stands the championship is on next week and the clubs haven't seen sight nor light of their main men.
At the start of the year there is meant to be a minimum number of league matches that they are available for but we never see them for it.
It's beyond a joke and what annoys me more is that you have the likes of Cody (who you would feel as the natural template for success) making his players go back to their clubs to play.
Just getting ridiculous at the moment. I'd put this up on the KE forum but the Hail Geezer brigade would have me labelled as a 'Geezer Out' merchant, which I'm not.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 07, 2013, 10:02:42 AM
Last week two players were fined for making a sub appearance for their clubs.
That cannot be true.

John Martin

What do you mean fined?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 07, 2013, 10:02:42 AM
Just in Kildare as it stands the championship is on next week and the clubs haven't seen sight nor light of their main men.
At the start of the year there is meant to be a minimum number of league matches that they are available for but we never see them for it. Last week two players were fined for making a sub appearance for their clubs.

Seriously?

McGeeney is never going to change and the county board are too spineless to give him a nudge in the right direction. It's a farcical situation that they trained the Sunday before last when there was a programme of county league fixtures that afternoon.

The argument that players are more likely to get injured playing for their clubs is nonsense. In the last week, Paudie O'Neill picked up and injury training and Eoin Doyle was injured in a challenge match.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Captain Scarlet

Yea 20eu I'm told.

And the players enforce and act on most things which is even worse. That's part of the reason we will never win anything. Too many yes men around and no one to stand up and lead.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Onion Bag

Armagh are playing in the preliminary round of ulster 19th may, and all county players are available. for their clubs. Paul grimley has let them play away stating that compettitve football will keep them fresh, with regards to injuries he said that it is no different to playing for your club or an in house training game you can get a knock or injury in either, and he is 100% right
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Dinny Breen

I don't even see conjecture here never mind factually based evidence.

Is this the Luke Dempsey article getting taken out of context due to some creative headline writing on The Hogan Stand website. Dempsey choose not to play his players, they were available to play, Alan Smith played in the same game for Sarsfields. The Moors have strength in dept and Dempsey is an experienced manager and knows the value of loyalty, to me it was a simple statement to his panel and at the same time looking after the welfare of two county players.

Should they have been put in that position probably not. But a lot of the Kildare Team training and commitment activities are driven by the players, they are as culpable as the senior management and county board yet seem to be absent when the blame game starts.

There is a distinct lack of strategy when it comes to club/county scheduling, we will now have a league finished whilst players sit on their holes waiting for Kildare to get knocked out. I can never see the logic in that.

Anyhow out of curiosity how many JTB players played in the last round of the league?
#newbridgeornowhere

Redhand Santa

Sounds a bit ridiculous. In Tyrone there has only been 2 league games so far ( all fit county players played in both) due to the run to the NFL final. The county players will play again next week but will then get the following week off directly before the Donegal game. In total they will play a minimum of 10 out of their clubs 15 league games and will obviously play the championship mathces.

AZOffaly

What do ye do with your hurling championships?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2013, 12:35:23 PM

What's this hurling you talk about?
#newbridgeornowhere

BluestackBoy

6 league games played here so far and all players have been available to their clubs. They will also be available this weekend but not for the two weeks before the Tyrone game when Jim wants them all to himself.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 07, 2013, 01:20:23 PM

Sorry Dinny, I was asking that off the Tyrone lads. It seems that they basically put games on hold until the county lads can play with them, and I was wondering do they not have to run off hurling competitions as well, or do they just assume no dual clubs/players?

rodney trotter

Could a few of those league games in Tyrone not be played with out the County players during the league. Still 15 games altogher, 2 games played and into May isn't great..
Games are played this year in Cavan without County players if there is a County game on that weekend (6 rounds is what they with the club overall ). 8 rounds played out of 18. Obviously not great for clubs who have 4/5 lads on a County panel

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2013, 01:30:48 PM

Sorry Dinny, I was asking that off the Tyrone lads. It seems that they basically put games on hold until the county lads can play with them, and I was wondering do they not have to run off hurling competitions as well, or do they just assume no dual clubs/players?
there are very very few dual players in tyrone.
I would say maybe a handful. It never really seems to be an issue.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 07, 2013, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2013, 01:30:48 PM

there are very very few dual players in tyrone.
I would say maybe a handful. It never really seems to be an issue.

There are plenty of dual players in Tyrone.

There are some players who play for their county and there are some that play for their county AND their club but in all fairness the number of dual players is in decline.

;)