Meath news!

Started by meathie, April 30, 2013, 04:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

Ok not that this thread will be overflowing or anything but couldnt see where else Id put it!

Meath manager Mick O'Dowd has dropped a number of prominent players from the panel ahead of the forthcoming Leinster SFC game against Longford or Wicklow on Saturday 15th June.

O'Dowd and the selectors finalised the panel after Saturday's NFL Div 3 final against Monaghan at Croke Park.

Gone from the panel are Cian Ward, Jamie Queeney, Shane McAnarney, Cormac Rowe, Darragh McNamara, David Lyons and Stephen Crosby.

Meath will tackle Cavan in a SFC Challenge at St Colmcille's on Friday night at 7.30.

Ward and Queeney abit of a shock for me I must say....

Declan

Ward not so much as he's just not fit enough from what I've seen. On the other hand there aren't many out there with his goal scoring ability. They called Seamus Kenny back in and he was pretty poor in the championship game last week against our lads.

Hardy

A shock for me too. Both are men who consistently delivered. Ward on his day is a top class forward and reliable place kicker. I hope Mick is not one of those managers who underestimates the vital importance of having a 90%-plus place kicker on your team. Maybe he reckons Newman can do the job and maybe he can.

As for Queeney, I always thought he deserved more of a chance than he got. He always performed when called upon and the bigger the game, the better he played.

Anyway, we don't know form in training. Declan may have it right about Ward, but then again, when did he ever look fit?

The new broom is doing dome serious sweeping.

theticklemister

Queeney is a good footballer.

thejuice

You mean you couldn't find this thread  -->  http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=21458.msg1141598#msg1141598

>:(

Queeney and Ward are big surprises though.

Is the whole panel online somewhere?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

Quote from: meathie on April 30, 2013, 04:14:13 PM

Meath will tackle Cavan in a SFC Challenge at St Colmcille's on Friday night at 7.30.

Says it all. Any other county 'play'. Monsters.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ard-Rí

I heard a rumour about Joe being gone as well but I hear nothing of it as yet in the media. I'm disappointed that Queeney is gone, he deserved a better chance than he's had up to now. Can't say I'm too surprised about the others ... Mick O'Dowd is not afraid to make  a decision, that's for sure!
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

T Fearon

Now Shane you missed a tabloid headline "Royals remove Queeney!"

Not surprised they dropped him,with a name like that how did he get anywhere near a Senior County Panel!

squire_in_navy_slacks

2 good lads to drop ...............awful start by ODowd at the helm

Wildweasel74

if anything i thought Meath need to bring some more of the old hands back, Is farrell not playing anymore, Big Joe call it a day to?? Is O`Rourke still injured,

Syferus

Smells like O'Dowd is trying to out-think himself. You'd never catch Banty doing that craic.

meathie

Apologies the juice it's just been so long that there's been actual news I missed that old thread! Yea I actually thought the same last Saturday, a few old names being brought from the bench would've helped. Here's hoping there's method in o dowds thinking.... Joe has had so little action, it wouldn't surprise me if he walked sometime soon, again...

rodney trotter

Meath kicked some terrible wides against Monaghan, surprise that Ward was let go.

agorm

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 04:55:15 PM
A shock for me too. Both are men who consistently delivered. Ward on his day is a top class forward and reliable place kicker. I hope Mick is not one of those managers who underestimates the vital importance of having a 90%-plus place kicker on your team. Maybe he reckons Newman can do the job and maybe he can.

As for Queeney, I always thought he deserved more of a chance than he got. He always performed when called upon and the bigger the game, the better he played.

Anyway, we don't know form in training. Declan may have it right about Ward, but then again, when did he ever look fit?

The new broom is doing dome serious sweeping.

I agree Hardy, I am surprised mostly about Queeney. He was given very little match time by Mick O'Dowd. And Gillespie had a few stinkers during the league.

Lets hope it is not change for changes sake and that he has a plan and a direction though anyone at the game last Saturday night would have wondered that in the first half.

O Dowd for all his bravery in making these changes now is quite slow to see and make changes during games. However it is his first season and lets hope that the gradual improvement during the league continues.

Donnellys Hollow

What happened to that Forde lad who played half forward last year, is he injured?

Newman has the ability to become a top class inter county forward. It shows what a farce Banty's set up was that he was frozen out for those two years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?