Wicklow v Longford - LSFC Aughrim 26 May 2013 at 3.30 pm

Started by Shamrock Shore, April 29, 2013, 03:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2013, 08:13:39 PM
I hope our lads can handle playing at altitude.
They haven't had the right altitude since Boylan was defenestrated.

The Insider

So disappointed. have never seen Dermot Brady and Colm P get such a roasting , turned over too much ball, could have conceded at least 2 more goals. Wicklow more tuned in from the throw in , more direct in their play. Our tendency to play this short hand passing game back and forth across the pitch could only lead to one result. The only good thing that could be said was at least we made a fight of it in the second half . A famous saying in Longford is that we never preform as favorites going into any game. We are only able to lift our game when we are the underdog. Clock ticking down for the present management team. Might be time to go native again with the next team manager. Might also forget about foreign training camps for a while. Will be interesting to see what john Bannon made of the referee today in tomorrows Examiner. Let lots go., went to book players on both sides for fouls but frees were being taken quickly and never got back to do it. No problem with that but the next day the ref won't be allowing that and will be stopping play creating tension. If Wicklow can repeat the best parts of their game today against Meath they might be able to spring a surprise

Hardy

Syferus

O Longford, how could thee, fair maiden?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on May 25, 2013, 12:27:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2013, 11:16:35 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 20, 2013, 04:35:06 PM
Wicklow 2/1

Draw 7/1

Longford 8/15

Actually thought Longford would be a bit stronger favourites for this.
I think the odds for richer Leinster counties are always arseways.
If Kildare were playing Donegal they'd probably be unbackable.

There's some truth in that, at least as regards Kildare - dunno about Wicklow. Whatever, I think Longford -2 at 11/10 (Boyles, PP) is sufficiently attractive for an investment.

Good advice but you right about Kildare - 1/14 to beat Offaly.
#newbridgeornowhere

neilthemac

I'd say Longford saw this as a game they could 'train through'
they have invested a lot of money in strength and conditioning facilities and coaches the past two years

Wicklow were poor in Division 3 while Longford were in Division 2 (albeit they got relegated)

Shamrock Shore

I don't think so Neil.

I think there was selection errors at the beginning, especially in midfield.

Losing our powerhouse centre half back, Michael Quinn, through injury (not sure, got an accidental belt may have injured eye) midway through the first half didnt help.

No team would go to Aughrim expecting an easy job. Wicklow were the better team and fully deserved their win. Longford only won one non-challenge game in 2013 (agin UCD) and it's hard to 'switch back' to a winning habit when losing is the norm.

There will be a changing of the guard now come the end of the road in the Qualifiers.

Qwerty28

Can only echo the sentiments of The Insider....disappointed but not surprised by the result in the end, based on the brutal first 15 mins and first half in general. Lack of focus and confidence were evident from the very start, far far too many individual errors across the board but esp in the half back line, never mind the 3/4 occasions where the ball got kicked out over the side line..

Heard a lad saying on the way out that doing weights doesn't help a lad kick a ball and that's very true but this time last year pretty much the same bunch of players would have won that game by 6 points....poor league form has knocked the confidence of the side and cant see there being too much interest in the qualifiers unfortunately.

All the same, need to give them credit for second half showing, if only the same had been applied form the start might have been a different story...agree with yourself Shamrock, why didn't McElvaney start in midfield, had a stormer in the 2nd half it must be said

Shamrock Shore

Don't get me wrong, I love Micheál and I think Barden one of the best footballers ever to grace the Longford colours but I found this clip a bit too much

The Insider

Official word is that M Quinn while he went off with a blood injury, he failed to return with an ankle injury. Disagree to a point that there is no one better out there , have we forgotten Enda Williams, Jame Mc Givney and David Barden who all fell out with one or other of the main management team .. Willie would have freed up Quinn for midfield , Mc Givney an option as a half back. with David Barden though you never know what you get, Padraig Gill if around would also add an option in the forward line, never afraid to run at defenders.

Ohtoohtobe

Have to say I don't get why it's taken for granted that this is the end for Glenn Ryan. Are two league titles and some fine championship wins not taken as progress? Ok, terrible year this year, but you could argue that's down to terrible luck with injuries and simply playing at a higher level in the league.

Shamrock Shore

There were mumblings coming out of the ground - with one lad in particular giving out to SS Senior about Glen and SS Senior's alleged role in keeping him there for so long.

I dunno. There seems to be serious inaction on the line when plan B needs to be put into operation (or even Plan A) and this may or may not be Glen's fault. Selectors are in the mix too. I admit there was alot of bad luck in the League but you have to be judged by the results at the end of the day.

Once the Qualifiers end then I think it will be up to the CB delegates to offer another term to Glen if he wants it. I don't know his views. Does Donnelly's Hollow have his confidence?

However, as in life, one should be careful what you wish for as the perhaps successor-in-waiting may be, how would you say it politely, divisive!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 29, 2013, 12:58:11 PM
There were mumblings coming out of the ground - with one lad in particular giving out to SS Senior about Glen and SS Senior's alleged role in keeping him there for so long.

I dunno. There seems to be serious inaction on the line when plan B needs to be put into operation (or even Plan A) and this may or may not be Glen's fault. Selectors are in the mix too. I admit there was alot of bad luck in the League but you have to be judged by the results at the end of the day.

Once the Qualifiers end then I think it will be up to the CB delegates to offer another term to Glen if he wants it. I don't know his views. Does Donnelly's Hollow have his confidence?

However, as in life, one should be careful what you wish for as the perhaps successor-in-waiting may be, how would you say it politely, divisive!

Dinny is a clubmate of Glenn.

Was Mark Hughes from the u21 team involved with Longford at the weekend? He looked a class act in the Leinster Final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?