British and Irish Lions Tour 2013

Started by CorkMan, April 28, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

I guess revenge is best served cold in Gatland's eyes. Both Heaslip and BOD were not the problem, and not just dropping them, but not even putting them on the bench? As always BOD was the picture of class after one of the greatest shaftings in rugby history.

Very poor coaching on this tour, Gatland has rarely seemed bothered and this stinks of headless desperation. You lost the last test by a single point; you weren't far off to begin with.

I almost hope the Lions lose just so Gatland has to suffer the consequences of being a total fool instead of it becoming accepted logic that it was a masterstroke to drop BOD - make no mistake, if the Lions win it'll be in spite of dropping BOD and Heaslip, not because of it.

And Mike f**king Philips? Really? That's an even worse move than dropping BOD, he was a total liability in the first test and Genia will make ribbons of him in the decider.

Greenabovethered

I thought we put all this parochial nonsense behind us and matured as a nation. There is no England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales, there is a single entity called the Loins. We're all Loins, Jonathan Davies is as much a Loin as is (was) O'Driscoll.

king of leon

It will be very interesting to see the post tour DVD behind the scenes and especially the final team selection meeting. Will give a good insight of the logic behind this drastic change in personnel.

Syferus

Quote from: king of leon on July 03, 2013, 01:37:16 PM
It will be very interesting to see the post tour DVD behind the scenes and especially the final team selection meeting. Will give a good insight of the logic behind this drastic change in personnel.

"I don't like Ireland.."

"..I like Wales.."

"..lol, I have an idea.."

johnneycool

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2013, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: king of leon on July 03, 2013, 01:37:16 PM

"I don't like Ireland.."

"..I like Wales.."

"..lol, I have an idea.."

Lets not kid ourselves, this is a 4 year jolly, end of season tour for an All stars selection hyped up beyond belief by Sky sports who've a schedule to fill now that the EPL is over.

The players see it as an honour to be picked and play in it, that's brilliant, but do you honestly think BOD, Rory Best would swap a 'Loins' for a 6N championship, not the token home crown thingy majig.

gallsman

ballinaman

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2013, 01:59:39 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 03, 2013, 01:54:00 PM
It was only a matter of time . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Deg1bQt1rzQ

Beat me to it! One of the better Hitler reaction in my opinion!
Really didn't think I'd laugh at another one of those but It's decent! As a man who worked in Sydney, the nurses getting paid bit really did make me laugh, we had the dates circled on the calenders always!

Declan

Hardy

Quote from: Greenabovethered on July 03, 2013, 01:36:17 PM
There is no England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales, there is a single entity called the Loins. We're all Loins

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1297639

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 03, 2013, 03:17:01 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2013/0703/460356-hook-mistake-by-odriscoll-to-go-on-lions-tour/

Never the biggest fan of George but good article here!!

A 'mistake to go on the tour'?

On what planet would you need to be on to not know enough about BOD to be absolutely sure he wouldn't be selfish enough to turn down a tour invite to protect his reputation? That wasn't even an option and to even suggest it is just Hook doing more of his trademark frothing.

''He should have retired last year''. Yeah, ok George. Just more attention seeking by Hook whose nose is probably out of joint from having to surrender the punditry chair to Sky Sports for the tour.

It's fun during a tv broadcast to listen to him rant but it's tedious outside that realm and he always comes across as desperate to make it known that he knows far more than you, the lowly sports fan.

He makes some good points about Gatland and BOD's treatment but he just distracts from them with his usual stuff.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2013, 03:39:03 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2013/0703/460356-hook-mistake-by-odriscoll-to-go-on-lions-tour/

On what planet would you need to be on to not know enough about BOD to be absolutely sure he wouldn't be selfish enough to turn down a tour invite to protect his reputation? That wasn't even an option and to even suggest it is just Hook doing more of his trademark frothing.

''He should have retired last year''. Yeah, ok George. Just more attention seeking by Hook whose nose is probably out of joint from having to surrender the punditry chair to Sky Sports for the tour.

It's fun during a tv broadcast to listen to him rant but it's tedious outside that realm and he always comes across as desperate to make it known that he knows far more than you, the lowly sports fan.

Apologies, should have stated I was referring to the possible arguement over tactics between BOD and Gatland!

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 03, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2013, 03:39:03 PM

Apologies, should have stated I was referring to the possible arguement over tactics between BOD and Gatland!

Aye, there is some good stuff there but Hook always seems to want to snipe at fans at any chance he gets, the neagtive reaction he gets in some quarters must really get to him.

muppet

BOD gets dropped for:

Davies - I'll leave it to Jeremy Guscott: "Davies put himself in no-man's land for the Adam Ashley-Cooper try on Saturday, he came to help O'Driscoll stop James O'Connor when he didn't need to."

Roberts - Was not playing well on tour and then got injured. A big ask for him to suddenly find both his fitness and his form.

Tuilagi - Was playing well before he got injured and in particular played well at 12 with BOD outside him. If Roberts breaks down & Tuilagi isn't right the Lions will lose, simples. O'Driscoll should at least have made the bench.

Gameplan:

Bish, bash bosh and then hope Davies can got on some shoulders. After all Davies is his country's record try scorer, all time 5/6 Nations record try scorer, never missed a tackle all tour............ops sorry, that is young O'Driscoll of course.

Leadership:

Who needs it? The Lions obviously don't.

Rucking:

O'Brien has loads of reasons for his inclusion but this is an area where the Aussies will make hay. Roberts & Davies can't lace BOD's boots in this regard.

Gatland seems to have run out of ideas and simply picked the tallest men in each position. Bowe is lucky, as Cuthbert must have been sitting down when the team was picked and Kearney must have been asleep.

MWWSI 2017