GAA Journalism reaches new low?

Started by Asal Mor, April 25, 2013, 06:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Maybe I'm being very harsh but I want to read a journalist who has done a bit of research, like going to a few club games, and can tell me something I don't know about players on and off the fringe of the panel. You sometimes get good analysis of panels, tactics and team selectons on discussion boards or local newspapers but never in the national papers.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/10-questions-galway-must-answer-if-they-are-to-rescue-the-season-29214212.html
This kind of sh!te is typical.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 25, 2013, 06:17:46 PM
Maybe I'm being very harsh but I want to read a journalist who has done a bit of research, like going to a few club games, and can tell me something I don't know about players on and off the fringe of the panel. You sometimes get good analysis of panels, tactics and team selectons on discussion boards or local newspapers but never in the national papers.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/10-questions-galway-must-answer-if-they-are-to-rescue-the-season-29214212.html

+1, couldn't agree more - can't see the name of who wrote it but I bet it was Breheny, who trundles out dung like this all the time. Boring as hell, and you neither feel enlightened or informed after.

And I see O'Donnell increasingly at it in the Indo with regards the Irish Soccer Team.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Asal Mor

It looks like Breheny's handiwork alright.

Lone Shark

It's utter muck, but the Indo has been churning out utter muck for years upon years. I wouldn't call it a new low, more a case of sustained mediocrity.

johnneycool

One of the reasons I miss the db section of AFR, filter out all the shíte from numerous scrotes who blight any discussion board, there were some insightful stuff about club players making inroads, who other than the big names would be making an impression etc, etc.

I could have written that article from in front of my TV.

seafoid

Quote from: Lone Shark on April 25, 2013, 06:52:17 PM
It's utter muck, but the Indo has been churning out utter muck for years upon years. I wouldn't call it a new low, more a case of sustained mediocrity.
The Indo is in serious financial trouble and they will be cutting another 10% off the payroll shortly.
It is not surprising that the standard of sports writing is in decline. It is perhaps easy enough to cover up deficiencies in other areas eg foreign news but you can't cut corners in sport and expect to get away with it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/inm-agrees-debt-restructuring-deal-as-losses-mount-1.1373686

galwayman

Breheny's articles would put you to sleep. He loves doing articles ranking teams from 1-32 and dung like that.
I buy the Indo from time to time but I never read his articles.
They're pathetic for the chief gaa correspondent in the biggest selling daily paper in the country.

deiseach

It's a tedious cookie-cutter job. But a new low in GAA journalism? Ger Loughnane would beg to differ.

Plain of the Herbs

Aye.  Martin 'Plain Daft' Breheny ranks the football counties from 1 to 32.  He rarely goes beyond 14 when ranking the hurling counties.

Regularly seen in the company of Cyril Farrell from whom he obtains the little he knows about hurling.  So some of 'Plain Daft's' liberal opinions on soccer in Croke Park frequently appeared in Cyril's ghosted column in the Indo.

He must be soon due to regurgitate something on re-drawing the provincial boundaries.  Or the bounty that would be the Soccer World Cup in Croke Park.

Or speculating on what the top hurlers and footballers would be worth in millions in soccer terms.  Yea, right.  In a country that's broke and someone is going to stump up €10 million for Henry Shefflin.
Quote from: galwayman on April 26, 2013, 11:13:49 AM
Breheny's articles would put you to sleep. He loves doing articles ranking teams from 1-32 and dung like that.
I buy the Indo from time to time but I never read his articles.
They're pathetic for the chief gaa correspondent in the biggest selling daily paper in the country.

Asal Mor

Quote from: deiseach on April 26, 2013, 11:47:30 AM
It's a tedious cookie-cutter job. But a new low in GAA journalism? Ger Loughnane would beg to differ.

;D  ;D

Premier Emperor

You can write the same articles about Galway hurling every year.
It's one tale of woe after another.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 25, 2013, 06:17:46 PM

Read that last week. It's Breheny. Case closed.

He only writes about the Galway hurlers if they lose a game. When they were winning last year he had nothing to say.

mouview

Quote from: Premier Emperor on April 26, 2013, 04:53:45 PM

Obviously the nuances of club hurling, the bedrock of the game, escape you. Then again, being from Tipp, they would.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mouview on April 30, 2013, 08:45:47 PM

Obviously the nuances of club hurling, the bedrock of the game, escape you. Then again, being from Tipp, they would.

You gotta love the oul Tipp arrogance don't you.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on April 30, 2013, 08:45:47 PM

Premier's predictions for the AI club semi-finals are here on record somewhere. Let's just say the fancy dans from Thurles didn't live up to his high expectations.