RTE and the Northerners

Started by illdecide, April 18, 2013, 01:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

They claim the foreigners will have to pay for live sports according to to-days Irish News...

Do RTE actually class us in the occupied six as foreigners?...WTF

Blood boiling reading that.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

Could you put up the article, that sounds idiotic.

A simple VPN App will get around it but that isn't the point. The National Broadcaster shouldn't penalise part of its mandated audience.

In terms of services RTÉ commits to:

broadcast schedules on all its channels which establish a benchmark for quality, range and diversity in broadcasting on the island of Ireland

develop content, which can be available to its audience across all delivery platforms

as Ireland's national public service broadcaster, through its programmes and its public activities, encourage and equip its audience to play an active and constructive role in their communities.  In so doing, it has a responsibility to reflect the full range and diversity of cultures within Ireland

Also: RTÉ's Statutory Mandate

Under the Broadcasting Authority Acts (1960 – 2001), RTÉ is required to provide a comprehensive range of programmes, in Irish and in English, which reflect the cultural diversity of the whole island of Ireland. RTÉ is specifically mandated to provide:

programmes that entertain, inform and educate
      programmes of news and current affairs
      coverage of sporting, religious and cultural activities
        coverage of the Oireachtas and the European Parliament

In fulfilling this mandate RTÉ is required to cater for the expectations of the community generally as well as the expectations of members of the community with special or minority interests and, in every case, to respect human dignity.

RTÉ is also mandated to facilitate or assist contemporary cultural expression and to encourage or promote innovation and experimentation in broadcasting.

While RTÉ can decide whether programmes are to be produced in-house, commissioned or acquired, it has a statutory obligation to commission a prescribed value of programming from the independent production sector.

In addition to the obligations provided for in national legislation, RTÉ also has obligations set down under European legislation, most notably

the Television Without Frontiers Directive (89/552/EEC as amended) which requires RTÉ to ensure, among other things, that at least 50% of its programming on television, excluding news, sports events and games, is reserved for European works, and,

the Transparency Directive (80/7223/EEC as amended), which requires RTÉ, among other things, to maintain separate accounts in relation to costs and revenues associated with its public service and commercial activities.

RTÉ recognises the importance of news and information about Ireland for the Irish abroad in maintaining contact with Ireland and preserving an Irish dimension to their identity.

MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

RTE should provide service to every house on the island of and offshore islands of Ireland, except lawnseed's house because he hated all things not United Kingdomish.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

illdecide

Maybe someone who subscribes online to the paper can post it up for me...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Syferus

I'd never really thought about it, but people in the north don't pay the Irish tv licensing fee, right?

WeeDonns

Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2013, 03:38:01 PM
I'd never really thought about it, but people in the north don't pay the Irish tv licensing fee, right?
Correct, and those in the south don't pay license fees for the UK television they watch
There are some things in the GFA relating to Irish TV in the North.

I assume the sports they are on about are rugby/soccer? If you're on sky/cable in the north, these are blocked out on RTE currently anyway.

armaghniac

The issue is whether RTÉ should expend money on getting the 6 county rights for these sports, and in some cases this is not available anyway. If they do not have the rights they can broadcast from Clarmont Cairn, but cannot explicitly make services available over the Internet, so it might well be a case of pay or get no Internet coverage of these events at all.

There is also a bit of hypocrisy here, people subscribe to ISPs who do not clearly indicate that they are in NI, then when the GAA etc. doesn't work RTÉ gets the blame rather than the person who skimped on the Internet service.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

RTE is jointly funded by the license fee and advertising. Northerners watch the ads.

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on April 18, 2013, 01:47:49 PM

Do RTE actually class us in the occupied six as foreigners?...WTF

Well you kind of are really.... ;)

Btw Happy 64th birthday Republic of Ireland.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggysego

Quote from: illdecide on April 18, 2013, 02:41:45 PM
Maybe someone who subscribes online to the paper can post it up for me...

Testing Accessibility

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 18, 2013, 05:49:29 PM
RTE is jointly funded by the license fee and advertising. Northerners watch the ads.
Not this citizen, not since delay tv came along anyway. ;)

lawnseed

any organisation that is a den for duffy, kenny, marty fukn whelin and ryan tubridy shouldnt be allowed on any nordie telly. ohhh i cant wait til we get into government. i'll personally go up to dublin and chase these tossers out the door with a rubber hose. forget the gathering i'm looking forward to the "dungout"
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on April 20, 2013, 08:30:59 PM
any organisation that is a den for duffy, kenny, marty fukn whelin and ryan tubridy shouldnt be allowed on any nordie telly. ohhh i cant wait til we get into government. i'll personally go up to dublin and chase these t**sers out the door with a rubber hose. forget the gathering i'm looking forward to the "dungout"

Are all ye're baseball bats broken?
I have no time for the gang you mentioned but byjaysus I hope YE ( whoever ye are) never get into Government.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2013, 09:12:06 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 20, 2013, 08:30:59 PM
any organisation that is a den for duffy, kenny, marty fukn whelin and ryan tubridy shouldnt be allowed on any nordie telly. ohhh i cant wait til we get into government. i'll personally go up to dublin and chase these t**sers out the door with a rubber hose. forget the gathering i'm looking forward to the "dungout"

Are all ye're baseball bats broken?
I have no time for the gang you mentioned but byjaysus I hope YE ( whoever ye are) never get into Government.
baseball bats are for men, these crowd dont deserve that title. i'm thinking plastic pipe that i use for the cattle. around the head mostly
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

So who is the "we" that is going to get into Government?
Cattle farmers?
Cattle drovers?
Livestock hauliers ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM