Stephen O'Neill

Started by NaomhBridAbú, April 15, 2013, 11:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

He was the greatest but that footage shows what a disservice it is to describe Tyrone 95 as a one man team,

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on April 17, 2013, 11:40:12 PM
He was the greatest but that footage shows what a disservice it is to describe Tyrone 95 as a one man team,

That semi footage reminds me of how good Cush was.

As regards a one-man team - this is the final v Cavan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMxqi9yzWTs - Peter hardly touched her early on!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on April 17, 2013, 11:42:05 PM

His absence cost us the '95 Final!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 17, 2013, 11:53:24 PM

Was just about to post the same, that was a massive blow
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

The forgotten man, but there were some other fantastic servants in that team and talented footballers to boot.  Lets not forget they became the first team in a generation to run back to back which had been deemed almost impossible- the scenes as Cush scored the goal in 95 were unforgettable for Tyrone supporters as they invaded the pitch.

stew

SO'N was an exceptional footballer but not on the same plain as Canavan, fantastic player though.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heffo

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 17, 2013, 11:58:55 PM

Get up the yard

BennyHarp

Quote from: heffo on April 18, 2013, 06:41:00 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 17, 2013, 11:58:55 PM

Get up the yard

That coupled with not starting Mattie McGleenan - if memory serves me right, the Dubs moved Brian Stynes to corner back that day out of fear of big Mattie when he came on.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Tyrone have young forwards coming through like Coney and Ronan O'Neill who cannot be compared to SON or anyone else for another few years yet. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Carmen Stateside

Cush would be up there with Canavan for me aswell. Great player and his left was as sweet as Stevie's, his free taking was also top quality.  Maybe his county form never really got to the same level as his club performances although as others have said he was having a great year 95 until the injury.

Fuzzman

Can't believe what I'm reading from some people on here.
I can take Heffo's point that people from a players home county or club in my instance might be tougher on someone or see him in a different light but I really can't believe some people are saying Cush or even Cavlan were better players than Stevie.

Cush was a great player and often showed moments of brilliance but he never was really able to take on one or two men the way Canaan or Stevie did in my eyes. Agreed I never saw him much at club level but to me he was well down the list of players in Tyrone's top 10 forwards.

For me Canavan was the man. The way he used to even out jump taller markers and win his own ball. Then solo and dummy past several men as if they weren't there. Many days in Clones come to mind during the mind 90's and he really was unstoppable or at least so we thought until Meath removed him from the game.

Stevie I think maybe didn't have the same pace or acceleration that Canavan had to get away from men. He had more strength and always seemed to have people hanging out of him every time he won the ball. For me Canavan was more consistent with his shooting and rarely missed any chances he took. He'd always know his limitations and where he could shoot from, whereas I'd say Stevie had hit more wides over his career. Maybe I'm being very hard on him.
Memories of Canavan terrorising Derry & Down defences in the 90's sit well in the aul noggin.
It got to the stage that when he eventually lost the ball the other fans would cheer as it was so rare.

rrhf

I think Stephen o Neill can greatly enhance his already legendary status by taking tyrone to an all ireland final this year

rrhf

This was all a set up!!!!

nrico2006

Canavan is number one and SON is number 2, Cush didn't have nearly the impact at County level that either of these two had.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

It's a nice argument for ye Tyronies to have - ranking Frank McGuigan, Peter Canavan, Adrian Cush & Stevie O'Neill. All played in the last 30 odd years - ye have been spoiled. Only Kerry could match those guys in that timeframe.