Stephen O'Neill

Started by NaomhBridAbú, April 15, 2013, 11:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Stephen O'Neill is one of my favourite players. So crucial to Tyrone because they don't have anyone to replace him. I wouldn't go as far as Indiana but he's definitely top 5 in the last 20 years in my view. Maurice and Peter are 2 I'd have above him, not many more tbh.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 16, 2013, 10:33:34 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 16, 2013, 07:33:54 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on April 15, 2013, 11:18:55 PM
just class.

only saying

Best forward of the last 20 years when fit in my view. I'd travel anywhere to watch him. A genius.

Is everybody on the wind up here or did I miss something?
Stevie has had a good 2013 to date but if we're being honest Tyrone & probably Dublin have took the league quite seriously this year and have been fitter and hungrier than most teams they've played. When you're that bit fitter, faster to the ball and for a forward quicker to turn then you'll have an edge over your man and so stand out a little.
Stevie has scored some great scores over the year and is probably in my top 5 players that I've ever saw but its not long ago everyone was saying Michael Murphy from Donegal is by far the best player in the country at the moment.

For me personally Peter Canavan was the best I've ever seen with Stevie being 2nd to him. I never saw Frank McGuigan but from the video evidence from that Armagh game he looked unmarkable that day.

Sadly, I fear that Donegal will have Stevie and our whole FF line bottled up with a huge blanket of defenders and so if for no other reason its great to have league games in Croker where we can watch such exquisite scores as we saw last Sunday. How Mickey Harte can't admit that himself and open his eyes to how the style of defending has prevented such exciting play beggars belief.
Can you imagine in 2013, Dublin or Donegal allowing Mugsy to run 40 yards and do two great dummies like he did back in 2005. Don't think so. He'd be hauled down

I'd say you have missed something.

The form that O'Neill is in just now? This is as good a form as I've seen him in since 2005. he's fitter/stronger than ever, and if he gets pulled down in the positions he finds himself in, then id say we have the men to score those frees...including himself...If he can stay fit? who knows...but i'd say he is definitely one of the best of his or any generation
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on April 16, 2013, 10:54:24 AM
I said stevie o neill was the dogs bollix ..... But he was no gerard cavlin. Dog is the connecting word here benny.

Do ye mind a few years ago cavlin had a run in with a few pitbulls and loyalists........lol??

I don't get the connection with Stevie O'Neill?
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Outstanding player, but FFS its only April and its only the league.

All stars are earned in August and September.

theticklemister

O neill is an excellent player, aka ' he is the dogs bollix' (means exceptional)

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on April 16, 2013, 02:01:50 PM
O neill is an excellent player, aka ' he is the dogs bollix' (means exceptional)

That is definately one of the most ingenius jokes I've heard on here in a long time - well done! And thanks for explaining it to me so I could enjoy it!  ::)
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 16, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 16, 2013, 02:01:50 PM

That is definately one of the most ingenius jokes I've heard on here in a long time - well done! And thanks for explaining it to me so I could enjoy it!  ::)

I dont know if ye are being sarcastic or not!!!!!

Aristo 60

Quote from: theticklemister on April 15, 2013, 11:54:44 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 15, 2013, 11:50:09 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 15, 2013, 11:34:37 PM
Has already played and scored as well as anyone will this year. A nailed on all star

f**k it sure just give it to him now.  ::) ::) ::)

He may be the dog's bollix............but he aint no Gerard Cavlan ;D

Anyone know what Cavlan's at now? No shaggy dog stories please.

bogball88

He was togged out against us 2 years ago for a junior league game but got injured in the warm up and didnt start. I see there was a Brian Cavlan from Dungannon recently convicted of weapons offensives...

theticklemister

Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 16, 2013, 02:14:09 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 15, 2013, 11:54:44 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 15, 2013, 11:50:09 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 15, 2013, 11:34:37 PM
Has already played and scored as well as anyone will this year. A nailed on all star

f**k it sure just give it to him now.  ::) ::) ::)

He may be the dog's bollix............but he aint no Gerard Cavlan ;D

Anyone know what Cavlan's at now? No shaggy dog stories please.

Dunno, probably ' russelling' about Dungannon somewhere.

Not a bad player in his day; he had some 'pedigree'.

Ill get my coat.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: theticklemister on April 16, 2013, 10:54:24 AM
I said stevie o neill was the dogs bollix ..... But he was no gerard cavlin. Dog is the connecting word here benny.

Do ye mind a few years ago cavlin had a run in with a few pitbulls and loyalists........lol??
jeez man, I told you that you werent funny !

I copped on what you were trying though. Risque.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2013, 10:59:19 AM
2 great points, but we could appreciate them even more with a bit of decent camera work.
RTE are outdated with their fixed point cameras. A moving camera that was in line with the ball would really capture the points in all their glory.

this is another element to something I brought up a year or two ago when we were discussing tv/video evidence on here.

with the modern age, there are web cams that could be positioned all alroung the structure of croke park (or any GAA stadium) - for croker I'd say just under the premium level slab.
3D type footage can be pieced together from the real time footage.

There may be more editing for GAA to do, but these pictures would give steaming users potential control over the angle and view of the game they want. This would have to be after game time as I am not sure that it would be technically viable to do so live.

it would also help adjudicate on contentious scores or foul play/off the ball incidents.

with the low cost of this equipment, all or main county stadia could have a certain amount of web/ip cameras.

GAA could sell the footage for a higher premium to rte/tv3/setanta etc (I guess there would be bigger profit margin if we supplied our own equipment and furnish media companies with the finished article (game footage).

IF SON could remain inj free for a season it would be fantastic to watch his repetoire of skills. He really is an score taking artist.

Gerard Cavlan was a sublime footballer but like many (prob myself included), couldnt beat psychological issues to enable him to play at the level he was very capable of.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

thankfully they are a lot more sophisticated in the neighbouring Derry parish.
the Aughabrack ones are nice folk, a bit simple but nice. e.g. Fuzzman!

Wildweasel74

not even the best player in Tyrone in the past 20yrs