Explosion at Boston Marathon

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on April 23, 2013, 03:02:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 23, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
I find it mildly sinister that he can face the death penalty in a state that is resolutely set against the death penalty. States rights only apply to those states wanting to increase the stock of human misery.

It's a federal case though.

I understand that. But what's to stop them making every case a federal case? It seems to me all they've done here is invoke the spectre of 'WMD' and presto! they have the power to threaten the accused with sticking a needle in their arm.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on April 23, 2013, 03:09:28 PM
Despite what happened i feel bad for this lad. He's only 19. Led by his big brother. Now facing the consequences for the rest of his life, hated by the whole country.
He should be punished of course and deserves it all but I do have some sympathy for him.

He's not a little child.  And given that he went back to college classes and attended a dorm party in the days after the bombing, as if nothing had happened, he must have serious sociopathic tendencies. That poor MIT cop was shot in the back of the head, and these guys were obviously prepared to leave a violent trail of destruction in their wake in their attempt to flee. Maybe it was all the older brother's influence, but at some point you take responsibility for your own actions. That point is well before blowing up innocent people watching a bloody race.

LeoMc

Quote from: deiseach on April 23, 2013, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 23, 2013, 03:02:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 23, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
I find it mildly sinister that he can face the death penalty in a state that is resolutely set against the death penalty. States rights only apply to those states wanting to increase the stock of human misery.

It's a federal case though.

I understand that. But what's to stop them making every case a federal case? It seems to me all they've done here is invoke the spectre of 'WMD' and presto! they have the power to threaten the accused with sticking a needle in their arm.

You only have to damage a mailbox and it can be classified a Federal crime.

ballinaman

Shamrock Shore

Sarah Palin Calls for Invasion of Czech Republic

Apr. 22, 2013

Sarah Palin called for the invasion of the Czech Republic today in response to the recent terrorist attacks in Boston.

In an interview with Fox News, the former governor of Alaska said that although federal investigators have yet to complete their work, the time for action is now.

"We don't know everything about these suspects yet," Palin told Fox and Friends this morning, referring to Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who allegedly carried out the Boston Marathon attacks. "But we know they were Muslims from the Czech Republic.

"I betcha I speak for a lot of Americans when I say I want to go over there right now and start teaching those folks a lesson. And let's not stop at the Czech Republic, let's go after all Arab countries.

"The Arabians need to learn that they can't keep comin' over here and blowing stuff up. Let's set off a couple of nukes in Islamabad, burn down Prague, then bomb the heck out of Tehran. We need to show them that we mean business."

Can't See Russia...

Although hosts Steve Doocy and Gretchen Carlson applauded Palin's jingoism, they immediately attempted to rectify her multiple geographic errors.

"Well Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan, which isn't Arab," Carlson corrected, "and Tehran is the capital of Iran, which is predominantly Persian. But I do see your point."

"Also Czech Republic isn't really an Arab or even Muslim country, I don't think," Doocy added, "but otherwise what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I think most Americans wish Obama would step up and lead on this one."

Palin, however, didn't take kindly to being corrected and defended her analysis.

"Steve, that's probably one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. How is Czech Republic not a Muslim country? You saw those brothers, they were Islamic and they were Chechen!"

"Yes there were Muslim and they were ethnic Chechens," Doocy started, "but they grew up mostly in Kyrgyzstan and the United States. And more importantly, Chechens don't come from the Czech Republic, they come from Chechnya, which is part of Russia. "

"What's the difference?" Palin responded. "Isn't Russia part of the Czech Republic?"

"No, the Czech Republic is a separate country. It's part of the European Union and a strong NATO ally," Doocy noted. "But heck, why not? Let's invade. What could go wrong?"

"Yeah and while we're at it," Carlson added, "let's call the Queen of England and see if the U.K. will join us."

In a statement released after the interview, Palin attacked Fox News and its "pro-Islamic" and "pro-geography" bias.

"This is just another case of the politically correct liberal media refusing to tell the truth about radical Islam," she said.

What a woman  :-[

This may not be true of course

deiseach

That has to be joke. She attacked Fox News? That'll be the day.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 23, 2013, 04:20:36 PM
Sarah Palin Calls for Invasion of Czech Republic

Apr. 22, 2013

Sarah Palin called for the invasion of the Czech Republic today in response to the recent terrorist attacks in Boston.

In an interview with Fox News, the former governor of Alaska said that although federal investigators have yet to complete their work, the time for action is now.

"We don't know everything about these suspects yet," Palin told Fox and Friends this morning, referring to Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who allegedly carried out the Boston Marathon attacks. "But we know they were Muslims from the Czech Republic.

"I betcha I speak for a lot of Americans when I say I want to go over there right now and start teaching those folks a lesson. And let's not stop at the Czech Republic, let's go after all Arab countries.

"The Arabians need to learn that they can't keep comin' over here and blowing stuff up. Let's set off a couple of nukes in Islamabad, burn down Prague, then bomb the heck out of Tehran. We need to show them that we mean business."

Can't See Russia...

Although hosts Steve Doocy and Gretchen Carlson applauded Palin's jingoism, they immediately attempted to rectify her multiple geographic errors.

"Well Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan, which isn't Arab," Carlson corrected, "and Tehran is the capital of Iran, which is predominantly Persian. But I do see your point."

"Also Czech Republic isn't really an Arab or even Muslim country, I don't think," Doocy added, "but otherwise what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I think most Americans wish Obama would step up and lead on this one."

Palin, however, didn't take kindly to being corrected and defended her analysis.

"Steve, that's probably one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. How is Czech Republic not a Muslim country? You saw those brothers, they were Islamic and they were Chechen!"

"Yes there were Muslim and they were ethnic Chechens," Doocy started, "but they grew up mostly in Kyrgyzstan and the United States. And more importantly, Chechens don't come from the Czech Republic, they come from Chechnya, which is part of Russia. "

"What's the difference?" Palin responded. "Isn't Russia part of the Czech Republic?"

"No, the Czech Republic is a separate country. It's part of the European Union and a strong NATO ally," Doocy noted. "But heck, why not? Let's invade. What could go wrong?"

"Yeah and while we're at it," Carlson added, "let's call the Queen of England and see if the U.K. will join us."

In a statement released after the interview, Palin attacked Fox News and its "pro-Islamic" and "pro-geography" bias.

"This is just another case of the politically correct liberal media refusing to tell the truth about radical Islam," she said.

What a woman  :-[

This may not be true of course

This can't be real?? Surely, she's not that ignorant? OK, yes - silly question!
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Of course its not real. You think Fox and Friends would embarrass Palin by pointing out her errors! :P

deiseach

orangeman

900 people killed in building collapse in Bangladesh.

Another building caught fire yesterday killing loads of people.

Not sure if there is a separate thread or not ?.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0509/391208-bangladesh-fire/

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2015, 08:38:16 PM
Death penalty for Tsarnaev

I really can't be doing with the death penalty whatever the crime might be, it's a barbaric act in this day and age. I note the family of the young lad killed asked for the death penalty not to be considered.

Oraisteach

OK, Boycey, your statement is like a light to attract flies.  Tony, wherever you lurk in the ether, the death penalty, thumbs up or thumbs down?  I'm with you, Boycey, that the death penalty is wrong, period.  My only dilemma is whether it's actually a more humane penalty than the v. restrictive life sentence Tsarnaev would have to endure.  I don't think civilized countries should be in the business of killing people who no longer pose a threat.

Boycey

Asking a jury of ordinary people to make the decision makes it even worse in my opinion..

whitey

Lock him up and throw away the key. 23 hours a day in solitary in a tiny cell with limited human interaction-way worse than the death penalty in my view