Explosion at Boston Marathon

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Heart-breaking reading in the Times today about the 8 year old who was killed, his sister who has lost a leg and his mother who may be brain damaged. They've Irish connections, have often travelled to Ireland and the daugher was a regular at Irish dancing classes.

give her dixie

The Story Behind the Pictures

This is the story behind my photo series – To Boston. From Kabul. With Love.

http://principlepictures.com/blog/2013/04/17/the-story-behind-the-pictures/

When I left Boston for Afghanistan nearly 6 weeks ago, it was with some trepidation – the first I've felt after several filming trips here. Why now? Perhaps because the Afghanistan I'm visiting this Spring is not the same as the country I traveled to in 2001/2002, 2006 and 2009. It has experienced a decade of war, and I've seen firsthand how the outlook has changed among so many — from one of cautious hope for a better future to one of grim acceptance that this last painful, protracted period of violence and political upheaval may still not yield freedom from oppression in this country.

Just last week I woke up to frantic emails and texts from home after the worst insurgent attack in the country in over a decade. "Yes, I'm fine. Safe." I wrote to family and friends, assuring them that I was far from the violence. Yesterday, when I grabbed my phone off the bedside table, I thought I was re-reading one of my own texts: "We're ok. And everyone we know is safe." But instead it was a message from my husband, Dennis, assuring me that he and our 5-year-old daughter were fine. Boston. Attacked. It was – still is – hard to comprehend. Like so many others, I have experienced the pure joy – and pain – of crossing the Boston Marathon finish line, and I felt heartbroken for the victims and for our little city. I also felt a deep sense of longing to be home.

I decided I wanted to send some love from 6500 miles away. Before leaving the house where I'm staying, I made the sign, "To Boston. From Kabul. With Love." and planned to take one picture of me holding it. But my intent changed as I talked to people here about what had happened – many had heard the news – and I saw the pain in their faces, and reminders of their own hardships. They said, "I'm so sorry," with that defining head shake that doesn't need another word of explanation; it says, "I understand."

My day was different than others here. I'm in Afghanistan filming WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS, a new documentary focused on the very first girls' school in a very conservative village. But instead of going to the school, I was going to spend the day with CARE International to help evaluate a savings and loan program for a friend who helps to fund it. It was at CARE's Kabul Headquarters that my deepest conversations about our common humanity began as I listened to good and innocent people express the heartache that all us feel when other good and innocent people are suffering.

Frozan Rahmani, a program officer for CARE International, was especially emotional. "Every time I hear about attacks happening," she said, "whether it's in the United States, Pakistan, England or here, I became too sad. All those people had hopes and dreams for their futures. Their parents had hopes and dreams for their futures. It doesn't matter that we experience this more often here. No one should experience any of it ever. It's always the innocent who suffer."

She paused. "I wish there was something I could do."

"There is," I said. "Would you be willing to hold this sign to send a little love from Kabul?"

Click on the following link to view more photos of solidarity from Kabul to Boston

http://principlepictures.com/blog/2013/04/16/to-boston-from-kabul-with-love/
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Bingo

Internet and CSI type tv shows has put people out of their senses. Looking at football365 forum at lunch and posters there have linked photos and posts from other forums where they have looked through photos from Boston and the suspected backpack used.

To date they've identified 3 different "bombers" and posted their faces for the world to see.

J70

Quote from: Bingo on April 17, 2013, 02:16:05 PM
Internet and CSI type tv shows has put people out of their senses. Looking at football365 forum at lunch and posters there have linked photos and posts from other forums where they have looked through photos from Boston and the suspected backpack used.

To date they've identified 3 different "bombers" and posted their faces for the world to see.

"There's no justice like mob justice!"

Unbelievable!

That's what's so disturbing about the whole Anonymous thing. No due process whatsoever. Just lives ruined, rightly or wrongly.

J70

News breaking that they have suspect on video.

J70

And CNN saying someone's been arrested.

mick999

Quote from: Bingo on April 17, 2013, 02:16:05 PM

Lots of analysis of possible suspects on reddit :

http://www.reddit.com/r/findbostonbombers
http://www.reddit.com/r/findbostonbombers/comments/1cii4n/blue_robe_guy/

http://mashable.com/2013/04/17/reddit-finding-boston-bomber/

Oraisteach

A CNN source is saying that no arrest has happened. 

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 17, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
A CNN source is saying that no arrest has happened.

Their website is still claiming an arrest has been made!

dec

Fox and CNN were both saying arrest but they are backing away from that now.

heganboy

Boston Courthouse has been evacuated...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Capt Pat

I suppose nobody claiming responsibility means an American psycho is responsible rather than al quaeda or similar organisations.

trileacman

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 17, 2013, 09:41:14 PM
I suppose nobody claiming responsibility means an American psycho is responsible rather than al quaeda or similar organisations.

Another anti-American rant, when will you people realise that the Muslamics are to blame?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jeepers Creepers

Someone being interviewed in the US saying 'don't attack America,you will awake a sleeping giant !?!

stew

Quote from: trileacman on April 17, 2013, 10:33:37 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on April 17, 2013, 09:41:14 PM

Another anti-American rant, when will you people realise that the Muslamics are to blame?

FFS we don't know who did this!

You are worse than he is with that statement.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.