Tir Eoghain v Áth Cliath - NFL Final - Sunday 28th April - Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by ziggysego, April 14, 2013, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on May 01, 2013, 08:36:00 AMslow taking dead balls - and GAA refs are not supposed to add on time for that, that's part of the game, unless someone is clearly and deliberately time wasting.

No added time for substitutions either.

No time added for bookings either.

If and when the countdown clock is brought in to the men's game, there is going to be uproar when everyone realises the very limited circumstances in which the clock stops.

That's interesting, Hound. Just as people seem to believe in other phantom rules that don't, or didn't exist (third man tackle, etc.) I was under the impression that time was supposed to be added on by rule for substitutions and bookings. I even believed that it was specifically 30 seconds for each instance of each. God knows where that came from, because, on checking, I find there's nothing about it in the Official Guide. All it says, as you say, is that "time shall be added on in each period for incidental or deliberate delays".

I think you're right - this will have to be addressed with the introduction of the independent clock. Otherwise it's a charter for all sorts of mayhem in the last few minutes. We need a strong deterrent against time-wasting substitutions and fouls designed to run down the clock. Two minutes added for each substitution would do the trick but I don't know how you'd deter fouling-for-time by the leading team without providing an incentive for it for the losing one.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Canalman on May 01, 2013, 10:29:25 AM
Agree Hound, we were having that discussion after the game about the late Tyrone sub and how MH  might have goofed as he surely must have known that substitutions are deemed part of the game and not "allowable" as additional time. Same was done to us by Cork in the AISF  some years ago to kill time at the end.

Anyway nice to bag a national title even though I was a tad disappointed at the mute manner it was celebrated after............... got the cup and straight down the tunnel. Probably the right thing to do so as to avoid the "look at the big time charlies" sniping that no doubt it would have provoked.

There was an unusually small Tyrone crowd at the game .................. believe it or not didn't see a single Tyrone fan on the way into the ground and barely 20 or so on the way out.

Personally very worried at how alot of our forwards "went hiding" in the 2nd half and it took the agressiveminded subs imo to drag us back into the game.

Tyrone have a nice base to rebuild a team but to be honest can't see the "class" players on that team that they had in 2003-2008. Probably will imo be the difference between winning the AI and otherwise "being in the mix".

I think we are in a worse place now than when Gilroy was at the helm........his team plan was built on a solid defense and now we are back to the mantra of we will try out score you similar to Pillars era.........................................our backs are too loose and going forward teams like Mayo and Kerry will relish the one on one match ups afforded to them ............................

Crete Boom

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 01, 2013, 11:16:30 AM
Agree Hound, we were having that discussion after the game about the late Tyrone sub and how MH  might have goofed as he surely must have known that substitutions are deemed part of the game and not "allowable" as additional time. Same was done to us by Cork in the AISF  some years ago to kill time at the end.

Anyway nice to bag a national title even though I was a tad disappointed at the mute manner it was celebrated after............... got the cup and straight down the tunnel. Probably the right thing to do so as to avoid the "look at the big time charlies" sniping that no doubt it would have provoked.

There was an unusually small Tyrone crowd at the game .................. believe it or not didn't see a single Tyrone fan on the way into the ground and barely 20 or so on the way out.

Personally very worried at how alot of our forwards "went hiding" in the 2nd half and it took the agressiveminded subs imo to drag us back into the game.

Tyrone have a nice base to rebuild a team but to be honest can't see the "class" players on that team that they had in 2003-2008. Probably will imo be the difference between winning the AI and otherwise "being in the mix".

I think we are in a worse place now than when Gilroy was at the helm........his team plan was built on a solid defense and now we are back to the mantra of we will try out score you similar to Pillars era.........................................our backs are too loose and going forward teams like Mayo and Kerry will relish the one on one match ups afforded to them ............................

One positive for you Squire is the personel is still there from Gilroy's time to implement a tighter defensive system which wouldn't be alien to the players(as when Gilroy took over) and it's a hell of a lot easier to tighten a defence with talented defenders than fix an attack with only one or two consistent scoring forwards as in Mayo's case or the lack of a quality fullback/CHB as in Kerry's case!

Jinxy

McMahon steadied the ship when he came on.
Has the sort of cool head you need in tight games.
I think Dublin have a good mixture in that certain players are suited to certain types of games.
The guys you need to beat Tyrone might not necessarily be the guys you need to beat Cork or Kerry.
So you have a central core of maybe 10-12 guys, and then the other 3-5 are selected based on who you are playing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2013, 11:00:19 AM
Quote from: Hound on May 01, 2013, 08:36:00 AMslow taking dead balls - and GAA refs are not supposed to add on time for that, that's part of the game, unless someone is clearly and deliberately time wasting.

No added time for substitutions either.

No time added for bookings either.

If and when the countdown clock is brought in to the men's game, there is going to be uproar when everyone realises the very limited circumstances in which the clock stops.
That's interesting, Hound. Just as people seem to believe in other phantom rules that don't, or didn't exist (third man tackle, etc.) I was under the impression that time was supposed to be added on by rule for substitutions and bookings. I even believed that it was specifically 30 seconds for each instance of each. God knows where that came from, because, on checking, I find there's nothing about it in the Official Guide. All it says, as you say, is that "time shall be added on in each period for incidental or deliberate delays".

I think you're right - this will have to be addressed with the introduction of the independent clock. Otherwise it's a charter for all sorts of mayhem in the last few minutes. We need a strong deterrent against time-wasting substitutions and fouls designed to run down the clock. Two minutes added for each substitution would do the trick but I don't know how you'd deter fouling-for-time by the leading team without providing an incentive for it for the losing one.
The ref has plenty of discretion to decide what's an 'incidental delay'.
One of the problems is that discernment is in short supply.

Fuzzman

Just back from a dreary Bilbao where I got to see Messi and Co weave their magic
Have only saw the highlights of the match last night on RTE and boy did Morgan make me eat my words.

Looked like it was a good game where we showed even without Stevie we can match one of the best teams, if not most people's favourites for the AI.
I'm a lot happier now going into the Donegal game but then again we know that will be a total different kettle of fish.
Dublin & Gavin will have learnt a lot from that game and it was another high scoring game for both teams.

rrhf

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 11:41:47 AM
McMahon steadied the ship when he came on.
Has the sort of cool head you need in tight games.
I think Dublin have a good mixture in that certain players are suited to certain types of games.
The guys you need to beat Tyrone might not necessarily be the guys you need to beat Cork or Kerry.
So you have a central core of maybe 10-12 guys, and then the other 3-5 are selected based on who you are playing.
Yeah there were dubs beside me who said he was chomping at the bit to get on the field and that he certainly stabilised a toothless Dublin performance to that point. 

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 01, 2013, 11:16:30 AM

But they will only have one on one match-ups if they go one on one with our forward line and how many teams will do that????

We also have guys like ROC, Nolan, Fitzsimmons, MxMahon etc to come back into the defence....