Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Anyone heard the rumour that Doherty is injured and possibly out as well?
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on May 04, 2013, 05:42:12 PM
Anyone heard the rumour that Doherty is injured and possibly out as well?

Well he's not named in panel for the challenge match against Fermanagh. Neither is Alan Dillon or Colm Boyle

Starting Team: O'Malley, Walsh, McHale, Harrison, Keegan, Vaughan, Burke, A.O'S, S.O'S, McLoughlin, Feeney, Carolan, O'Connor, Freeman, Coen

Subs: D.Clarke, G.Cafferkey, K.Keane, K.Rogers, J.Gibbons, E.Varley, C. O'Shea & A.Murphy
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Anybody get injured in training or getting in or out of bed over the weekend?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Can everybody just lie to me about injuries to Mayo players for the next 10 or so days! Just keep saying they are all doing well in training. Leave the surprises for the 19th. There are so many crocked players at this stage that I'll need tranquilisers to sleep at night! :P

Anyway heard through the grape vine Mayo beat Fermanagh  3-13 to 1-12. Vaughan, Freeman and Murphy with the goals. Game naturally lacked intensity! Andy Moran took a full part in the warm up.

bucko

All the time we talk about football and we focus on players, managers, team selections, tactics, skills etc, yet a little luck is always involved in the game and sure as hell we are not having a whole lot of it as far as injuries are concerned. I can't remember so many county players getting injured in one weekend of club fixtures and on top of what's there already it's making the 19th more and more of a tougher task.
Conroy was one player we really could have done without getting injured IMO. One of our very few consistent forwards from a league campaign where we struggled to display any consistent pattern to our attack and now we'll be going in against Galway with even more question marks over our forward line. As it stands we have only two definite starters in our front 6, McLoughlin and O'Connor. The remaining four spots are anyone from Dillon (worried that he did not feature in that challenge against Fermanagh), Carolan, Freeman, Doc, Varley, Regan, Feeney, Murphy and with the exception of Dillon there is little to choose between the rest of them. Add to that the obvious uncertainty about how to best utilise O'Connor it is very hard to see exactly how we will set up attack wise. Either Horan will gamble on the likes of Carolan, Regan and possibly Murphy or he will set up conservatively with Feeney and Doc working back with Mcloughlin to defend in numbers and try to dominate midfield, using Vaughan, Keegan and Higgins (if fit) breaking forward along with trying to get AOS on the ball Galways half of the pitch more than in our half. O'Connor will need to be kept close to the Galway goal, we can't afford to have him like I saw him in the league semi, on our 21 helping to defend. I just feel given injury crisis we are going to have to look to winning ugly to come out of Salthill Sunday week.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2013, 11:13:37 PM
Can everybody just lie to me about injuries to Mayo players for the next 10 or so days! Just keep saying they are all doing well in training. Leave the surprises for the 19th. There are so many crocked players at this stage that I'll need tranquilisers to sleep at night! :P

Anyway heard through the grape vine Mayo beat Fermanagh  3-13 to 1-12. Vaughan, Freeman and Murphy with the goals. Game naturally lacked intensity! Andy Moran took a full part in the warm up.

Yeah, and Regan got injured again in training during the week.

Brendan Harrison from Aughamore seems to have been introduced into the panel and was named to start v Fermanagh. Good to see that Walsh and Burke were named to start anyway. I wouldn t give up the ghost yet. Some of these guys could give us a boost. Of course we will need Barry, Andy and Dillon to do anything but if we could manage without them for a while we could have real options.

Lar Naparka

Anyone know how Feeney played against Fermanagh?
His selection at CF was an interesting one and he might be the answer to one of Horan's problems. 
IMO, he's too good to leave out of the side and Horan has plenty of options in the HB line. He seems to prefer playing further forward and if he played well at no. 11,  he could start there against Galway.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

criostlinn

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 07, 2013, 01:42:00 PM
Anyone know how Feeney played against Fermanagh?
His selection at CF was an interesting one and he might be the answer to one of Horan's problems. 
IMO, he's too good to leave out of the side and Horan has plenty of options in the HB line. He seems to prefer playing further forward and if he played well at no. 11,  he could start there against Galway.

He had a mighty first half scoring two points and showing for everything. Faded in the second like a lot of team

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteFOUR of Galway's triumphant All-Ireland U-21s returned to senior county training yesterday, but no more will be called up ahead of the Tribesmen's Connacht SFC opener.

Captain Fiontan O Curraoin, his midfield partner Thomas Flynn, 19-year-old forward Shane Walsh and goalkeeper Tom Healy were already part of Alan Mulholland's senior panel.

They didn't spend too long celebrating as they quickly turned their thoughts to the Connacht quarter-final against Mayo on May 19.

Mulholland revealed yesterday that "we have an eye on one or two more of them" but he indicated that it "would be another while" before any more of the county's U-21 heroes were recruited for senior duty.

And he warned that the boost many believe Galway will get from winning their second All-Ireland U-21 title in three years may not be felt this summer.

"The U-21s' victory doesn't have any bearing on our forthcoming match against Mayo," he stressed. "There may be people in the county who think we'll immediately get some benefit but that really won't be the case.

"I know as much as anyone else just how much time it takes for U-21 players to come through at senior level," added the man who managed Galway to U-21 glory in 2011.

"As we saw again against Cork, it is a completely different kind of game from senior football. Obviously it was great to see the U-21s perform so well and win another All-Ireland, but the reality is that it will be another year or two before some more of that team are ready to come through."

O Curraoin and Flynn, who starred against Cork, were immediately recruited to the senior set-up after the U-21s' success in 2011.

Both have been hit by bad injuries over the past 18 months and are only now operating at full fitness again, underlining how it can take time and good luck for U-21 players to adapt to the senior inter-county game.

Of Galway's previous victorious U-21 team, Mark Hehir, Tomas Fahy, Johnny Duane, Conor Doherty and Michael Boyle were also quickly elevated to the senior ranks.

Yet Galway seniors' struggles in the past year – failing to win promotion from Division 2 for two consecutive seasons and bowing out of the championship to Sligo (in Connacht) and Antrim (in the qualifiers) last summer – demonstrated that it is not always a quick or easy transition.

They also won the All-Ireland U-21 titles in 2002 and 2005 – the latter team featuring Michael Meehan, Sean Armstrong, Finian Hanley and Gary Sice – but they haven't won the Sam Maguire since 2001.

Augurs

However, the fact that the U-21s beat Sligo, Mayo and Roscommon within their province and then ousted a highly regarded Kildare team and showed such flair against Cork in the final certainly augurs well.

Walsh, who plays for Kilkerrin-Clonberne, is a great prospect. He was a member of the county minor team that lost an All-Ireland semi-final to Dublin two years ago and his skill and versatility are exceptional.

A groin injury restricted his NFL involvement to just one appearance, against Wexford, but he is expected to see much more game-time this summer.

Classy attacker Ian Burke is another player with exciting potential, while Cathal Mulryan put in a great shift at half-forward against Cork. Dual star Daithi Burke is also likely to get a a chance at senior level soon.

With U-21 boss Alan Flynn part of the senior management team, there is no shortage of cross-pollination, but Mulholland is well aware of the dangers involved in rushing players through.

Galway, who lost 0-18 to 0-13 in a challenge match against Kildare last Sunday, expect to have Hanley back in time to face Mayo.

seafoid

u21 is like old style fuball, ie kick the ball.
No defence swarming and you don't have to be 2 stone heavier than a hurler of the same age.

Jinxy

No defence swarming!
Did you even watch the match?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on May 07, 2013, 03:14:22 PM
No defence swarming!

Little bees only make a small hive.

Farrandeelin

I think it will have a huge boost to Galway. That and all our injury ptoblems means I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Mayo lost this one.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 07, 2013, 03:14:22 PM
No defence swarming!
Nothing on the scale of Donegal v Tyrone in a few weeks.
There was still some football oxygen.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2013, 05:53:32 PM
I think it will have a huge boost to Galway. That and all our injury ptoblems means I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Mayo lost this one.
Injuries should make it a closer game however last years All Ireland finalist losing a game in Connacht will be a surprise.