Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

As an exercise let's assume the worst for all the doubtful players Moysider has listed a couple of posts above and look at the most likely team Horan (if he stays conservative in his selection) would pick. It would be along the lines of :
                                                                                            Clarke
                                               Barrett                                   Caff                                Keane/McHale
                                               Keegan                                 Vaughan                         Feeney
                                                                Seamus O' Shea                    Gibbons
                                               McLoughlin                        Aidan O' Shea                     Carolan
                                               Cillan O' C                         Alan Freeman                      Doherty/Varley

Now the big question is would this line up have enough form or confidence for a real battle in Salthill assuming Galway show up? At the moment while I think team above has the ability I am not sure if we would have the firepower under pressure or the composure to keep a determined Galway at bay. In Galway v Mayo games ( that I can recall) any team that gets the momentum going in the second half is generally hard stopped and home advantage in this case has always been a big factor!

screenexile

Crete Boom

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2013, 10:11:14 AM
Is Andy Moran back yet?

He's back running freely doing limited contact training from what I hear and like Moysider I have heard whispers that he might even play a cameo role against Galway. The more consistent reports I have heard though is he should be back to 100% physically by late July/August and the hope is to have him on the bench for a potential Connacht final if we get there!

rosnarun

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 01, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
As an exercise let's assume the worst for all the doubtful players Moysider has listed a couple of posts above and look at the most likely team Horan (if he stays conservative in his selection) would pick. It would be along the lines of :
                                                                                            Clarke
                                               Barrett                                   Caff                                Keane/McHale
                                               Cillan O' C                         Alan Freeman                      Doherty/Varley

Now the big question is would this line up have enough form or confidence for a real battle in Salthill assuming Galway show up? At the moment while I think team above has the ability I am not sure if we would have the firepower under pressure or the composure to keep a determined Galway at bay. In Galway v Mayo games ( that I can recall) any team that gets the momentum going in the second half is generally hard stopped and home advantage in this case has always been a big factor!

Seriously why would you have freeman at sull forward. I have not seen him play a game of worth since the Sligo game 3 years ago
I give anyone else a go
Coen c o'se  kirby or murohy even
though knowing horan it awill be doherty at 14 and Varley in the corner . I have no great problem with that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on May 01, 2013, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 01, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
                                                                                            Clarke

Seriously why would you have freeman at sull forward. I have not seen him play a game of worth since the Sligo game 3 years ago
I give anyone else a go
Coen c o'se  kirby or murohy even
though knowing horan it awill be doherty at 14 and Varley in the corner . I have no great problem with that

The bit in bold  should make it clear I was trying to anticpate what Horan would pick not my preference!Personally I wouldn't have him in the first 15 as I think he has had enough chances but I am just basing the team on what I have seen Horan do during the league campaign this year and last year.

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on May 01, 2013, 12:33:35 AM

True. But you can talk to an ankle - a knee just wont listen.

I know a good knee whisperer.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

I thought Higgins would have progressed a bit more or do hamstrings generally take 5/6 weeks to get right?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

criostlinn

Such a load of auld shite from Mulholland.

Lets tell everyone Galway havent a hope against Mayo. Build up them Mayo gobshites. Keep telling them how great they are. Sure you know them Mayo bucks. They always fall for it. And then bam. When we beat them, we tell them they were over confident and you can never be over confident against Galway in salthill. Is this just a GAA thing. How many other sports do you go into the game telling every one how shite your own team is and build up the opposition. Then if your own team wins you go back to the same people and tell them they were to cocky despite the fact you were the one saying they would win

Jinxy

Well if you're anything to go by his cunning plan is working like a charm.  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 09:53:33 PM
Well if you're anything to go by his cunning plan is working like a charm.  :D

Really? How so?

Mulholland is abusing his position as Galway manager to promote his business imo. If I were the Galway board or his players I d be taking a dim view of this type of shite-hawking.

maigheo

Good post criostlinn.Very poor form from Mullholland and I know he is only trying to promote his business but I would expect better from an inter county manager.Seems like he has gotten a few tips from J.O.M.

macdanger2

Crete, that is probably fairly close to the team Horan will select depending on injuries although I'm not sure he will persist with AOS on the 40. I think he was right to attempt it during the league and try to make it work but it's surely not something for the Championship when it's not working.

Is Aidan Campbell still playing?? He was a promising player who seemed to get fairly shafted after making a stupid but relatively simple mistake

Was reading in the Mayo News about the "Mayo GAA Academy" - sounds decent enough but is it just spin or has anyone heard anything firsthand about what it's like? ??

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17653:the-mayo-gaa-academy-six-months-on&catid=14&Itemid=100008