Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

We won the 2010 senior title in McHale park. It's the mid 80s since we beat Mayo in Castlebar or Galway in Salthill but Sligo went to Salthill on the back of poor record last summer & won. TBH our long wait without a competitive game & then having to play Galway or Mayo off a big win will affect our chances more than the venue.

Round 2 of qualifiers looks likely for us this summer & knowing our luck in draws we'll probably get the loser of Tyrone or Donegal.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on April 30, 2013, 05:42:23 PM
We won the 2010 senior title in McHale park.

Against Mayo though? Not exactly the same thing playing Sligo there.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 30, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
We won the 2010 senior title in McHale park.

Against Mayo though? Not exactly the same thing playing Sligo there.

Did the rest of my post become invisible?

Clearly isn't the same thing but Sligo have proved to be a tough nut to crack in a Connacht final as Galway found out in 2007 or Mayo did last July.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 30, 2013, 05:27:30 PM
Castlebar has been a very happy hunting ground lately so we'd probably prefer it to a trek to Salthill.

Surely that's just at underage though? Can't remember many senior victories there.

Guess the duck will have to be broken eventually.
[/quote]

Indeed it will because underage buckeens will grow up eventually.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

We won the 2010 senior title in McHale park. It's the mid 80s since we beat Mayo in Castlebar or Galway in Salthill but Sligo went to Salthill on the back of poor record last summer & won. TBH our long wait without a competitive game & then having to play Galway or Mayo off a big win will affect our chances more than the venue.

Round 2 of qualifiers looks likely for us this summer & knowing our luck in draws we'll probably get the loser of Tyrone or Donegal.

Nah, (if ye lose) ye'll end up getting the winner of the loser of Cavan and Armagh and someone else. Syferus will have a great day. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 30, 2013, 09:15:17 PM

Nah, (if ye lose) ye'll end up getting the winner of the loser of Cavan and Armagh and someone else. Syferus will have a great day. ;)

Already have the hotel room booked for the final in Castlebar, lads.

Don't even know why because I can gun it down the N5 in no time, but I think it was a suitable show of arrogance.

galwayman

I happened to drive past Pearse Stadium around 9pm this evening and spotted the Mayo team playing a training game there.
Would this be standard for county games (i.e allowing your opponents to get a training session or two in on your pitch before a championship game)?
I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway it was getting dark by the time I passed & with no lights in Pearse I kept moving as I assume the session was coming to an end.

It's a strange type of build up to this game.
It's hard to get excited about it. That is probably down to the fact that Galway have fallen so far down the football pecking order nationally to be fair

Farrandeelin

Funny buildup alright galwayman. I'm worried that all our injuries will be the deciding factor in thiss gsme. Especially if Boyle is out too. Galway always would get their dander up to play Mayo, but Mayo's increasing injury list must have Mullholland rubbing his hands with glee.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 30, 2013, 09:15:17 PM

Already have the hotel room booked for the final in Castlebar, lads.

Don't even know why because I can gun it down the N5 in no time, but I think it was a suitable show of arrogance.
Don't get Sligonian going!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

galwayman

QuoteI'm worried that all our injuries will be the deciding factor in this game
Far realistically - how many lads does it look like ye will be missing for the game?
I assume Andy Moran & Michael Conroy are definite absentees.
I know Dillon has been short of gametime but I assume he is recovered from his injury now and will make it?
Is it likely Barry Moran will be available?

I know any injuries to first team players will weaken any team but is it possible that Conroy is the only starter from the AI semi final v the Dubs last year that won't be available?
Even missing a few lads ye should have the measure of us.
I think we might have the makings of a good side again in a few years time but right now we are lacking quality experienced players.
In past times talented young players coming through had lads like Kevin Walsh, Ja Fallon, Tomas Mannion etc to provide the leadership, quality & experience.
That 98 team we had that won the AI had 5 u21s (PJ & Michael Donnellan among them) but no way would that team have even got out of Connacht without those experienced leaders they had in the team.
We don't have that at the present time I'm afraid.

Anyway I'm actually getting tired myself  now of being so pessimistic about our chances so here's hoping for one big performance from our lads on the 19th.
Motivation shouldn't be lacking anyway. Nobody is giving Galway any chance in this one

galwayman

I'll have an early stab at guessing the Galway line up...
1 Egan (have not seen too much of him but I don't rate Breathnach that highly to be honest. Adrian Faherty is our best keeper but unfortunately is unavailable for the time being)
2 Forde
3 Hanley (I have heard he is a doubt for the game - not too sure what the story is with his injury)
4 Duane
5 Bradshaw
6 Kelly
7 Sice
8 Coleman
9 O Curraoin
10 Flynn
11 Armstrong
12 Doherty
13 Meehan (I personally believe he is finished as a county footballer. The injuries he has suffered mean he is simply not able to perform at the level he once was. Such a huge pity as Mikey is one of the most dedicated footballers ever to wear the maroon & white and is a supremely talented player in full flight)
14 Conroy
15 Cummins

If Hanley doesn't make it I would expect Gary Sweeney to come into the side with Johnny Duane probably moving into number 3. If this is the case - if I were a Mayoman I'd be hoping that management put the quickest Mayo player in on him. Johnny is a fine footballer but is not the quickest & a speedster could do damage on him.

There is a possibility that Shane Walsh will be parachuted straight into the starting line up but I reckon they will keep him in reserve and spring him from the bench at some stage.
Michael Martin also has a strong chance of starting in the forwardline. They might start him centre forward where he played as a county minor.

It's a pity Tomas Fahy is not in the squad. A hugely talented attacking wing back.
Of the u21s (apart from Walsh, Flynn & O Curraoin) - I would expect James Shaughnessy to probably be on the bench. I also would not be surprised if Cathal Mulryan got called up to the squad. He looks a future senior star in the making - probably in the half back line.
I believe he is a cousin of Mayo wing back Colm Boyle.

That's my two cents anyway.

Syferus

I think Mulholland - who is involved with the U21s directly - doesn't start Walsh he's inching himself towards the exit door. He's simply in the sort of form where you have to take the training wheels off and have at it. The other two of the U21 forward line should be the ones in reserve on the bench.

Mayo's backs will be doing back-flips in their minds if Walsh is left out.

moysider

Let s see.

Conroy - looks like def out.

Andy Moran - Local bible says he s training intensively and may play a bit! f**king superhero if he pulls a recovery like that off.

Barry - ankle injury and ankles can recover middlin quick and can be strapped. Another knee injury would have been much worse and he might have a chance.

Higgins - hamstrings are a nightmare for a quick explosive player and can be a nightmare to get right again.

Boyle - same as Higgins

Dillon - played a full game, it ll be about match fitness.

Cuniffe - achilles, depends on extent of damage again.

We might be able to get most on the pitch but would be happier if these lads were able to train rather than in treatment. I dont think we ll see half-fit players start. Could be interesting enough starting 15

Syferus

Always scary when you have a big lad in the middle with ankle/foot problems. Mike Finneran picked up a foot injury for us in a challenge match before the Galway game last May and wasn't right until October/November, even if he battled through a few games. Lots of ways to banjax a half-injured foot when you're jumping high in the air for balls with another man 20-30 times a game.

moysider

True. But you can talk to an ankle - a knee just wont listen.