Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on May 15, 2013, 04:45:52 PM
I don't think he has picked the strongest team which is a pity but i will still be there hoping for the win and cheering them on.  I think it's time to be winning championship games and not taking moral victories from losing by a few points or a good performance.

No point in bringing Val Andrews into anything he was setup by both Hyland and the county board for a fall last year.

I don't think you could say he was set up by Hyland. That was the Co Boards mess.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 15, 2013, 04:50:01 PM
I don't think he has picked the strongest team which is a pity but i will still be there hoping for the win and cheering them on.  I think it's time to be winning championship games and not taking moral victories from losing by a few points or a good performance.

No point in bringing Val Andrews into anything he was setup by both Hyland and the county board for a fall last year.

I don't think you could say he was set up by Hyland. That was the Co Boards mess.

Whatever you think ,it is not the thread for it but at the start of year Hyland could not commit and then boom he is manager.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on May 15, 2013, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 15, 2013, 04:50:01 PM

Whatever you think ,it is not the thread for it but at the start of year Hyland could not commit and then boom he is manager.

its not the thread, but may as well clealr it If you have an agenda with Terry Hyland maybe say so, He took the job after the u21's campaign was finished as he was joint manager the year before and said he couldn't give the full commitement for the second year. Andrews was set up by the Co board chairman. that was nothing to do with Hyland.

tommysmith

It's not the thread so i will comment no further on it leave this for the match please.

Westside

Quote from: tommysmith on May 15, 2013, 04:19:40 PM
It will be interesting to hear what his excuse will be if we are beat on Sunday.  He wouldn't want to say it was lack of experience when he hasn't picked the experienced players who in my opinion offer more than those he has picked.

i hope im wrong but i think Armagh will win by at least 5 or 6 points.

Why does he need an excuse?? Maybe we will be beaten by a better team? Whatever Hyland does there will always be morons in Cavan who will use it as a stick to beat him with, if he starts with the experienced lads he's going with players who were already proven not up to scratch, when he goes with the younger lads Martin Reilly and McKeever become All Stars all of a sudden.

Itchy

f**k sake Tommy I expected better from you! McKeever is supposed to be injured for a start as is Declan McKiernan and Thomas Corr. Secondly, neither you or me knows how well training has been going and who is showing well in the internal challenge games that are being played. We have to assume that Hyland and Forde are picking players to fit their system that are showing well. I don't buy this crap about "favourites", the manager will pick what he thinks are his best players. We also see some changes at throw in so who's to say what team will start. I think only in Cavan to we get such negativity, a quick look at the hoganstand forum and you'd swear the game was over and we were bet.

I also think there is great strength on the bench and this could help us turn a tight game.

rodney trotter

Better off staying away from Breffni with that attidude. Squad game nowadays, probably players unlucky to make it, but no doubt they will be called upon if needed. Was thinking McKeever had a knock.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on May 15, 2013, 07:39:28 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on May 15, 2013, 04:19:40 PM
It will be interesting to hear what his excuse will be if we are beat on Sunday.  He wouldn't want to say it was lack of experience when he hasn't picked the experienced players who in my opinion offer more than those he has picked.

i hope im wrong but i think Armagh will win by at least 5 or 6 points.

Why does he need an excuse?? Maybe we will be beaten by a better team? Whatever Hyland does there will always be morons in Cavan who will use it as a stick to beat him with, if he starts with the experienced lads he's going with players who were already proven not up to scratch, when he goes with the younger lads Martin Reilly and McKeever become All Stars all of a sudden.

Most mangers are asked in post match interview what went wrong, where game was lost etc.

Armamike

Not a lot of Armagh ones on this thread. There's nearly as many Cavan posters as Mayo on this board!  It's good to see Armagh have an attacking look about them and a few fresh faces involved. In previous years we've had too many half forwards who've been defensive minded players.  I hope we can get the balance right defensively and aren't too niaive though. I'd be worried how we'd fare against a well organised counter attacking team. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Westside

Managers interviewed after games may be asked why they lost the game, that is not the same as an excuse for losing. Also Tommy who are these raft of experienced players that we have on the bench that are so much better than the young lads playing? Bearing in mind that Corr and McKeever are injured.

mylestheslasher

Well I have faith in Terry Hyland to put the right team on the pitch and have them motivated. His record is unmatched in Cavan as a manager. I have no problem giving him time to get this team right. I am looking for a good solid performance and I am hoping we sneak a win. I will not be throwing the toys out of the pram if we lose, Armagh are still a little ahead of us.

Westside

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 15, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
Well I have faith in Terry Hyland to put the right team on the pitch and have them motivated. His record is unmatched in Cavan as a manager. I have no problem giving him time to get this team right. I am looking for a good solid performance and I am hoping we sneak a win. I will not be throwing the toys out of the pram if we lose, Armagh are still a little ahead of us.

Nail on the head there Myles lad. Patience is needed. A time will come where we will have to say "it's time to deliver". That time is bit away yet. 

boojangles

In previous years I may have agreed with Tommy regarding team selection but I think this year what the management have done has to be respected. There seems to be foresight in terms of giving lads proper chances to make an impact. We have some good options on the bench also which may give us a Plan B. Some people are worrying about Jamie Clarke, I think Mc Laughlin is up to the job but if he's not I believe we have Minagh and Killian the Gunner who could do the job.
No matter the result on Sunday I don't envisage a performance like the one we saw against Donegal two years ago. This team appears to be making progress, slowly but surely, and they deserve the backing of everybody on Sunday. Best of luck to all involved.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on May 15, 2013, 10:17:10 PM
Managers interviewed after games may be asked why they lost the game, that is not the same as an excuse for losing. Also Tommy who are these raft of experienced players that we have on the bench that are so much better than the young lads playing? Bearing in mind that Corr and McKeever are injured.

I didn't know Mckeever was injured Westside, is there a link to that anywhere.

Anyone know who is on the bench as i see now you believe  Mckeever, Corr and Declan Mckiernan are injured.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on May 16, 2013, 10:04:50 AM
Quote from: Westside on May 15, 2013, 10:17:10 PM

I didn't know Mckeever was injured Westside, is there a link to that anywhere.

Anyone know who is on the bench as i see now you believe  Mckeever, Corr and Declan Mckiernan are injured.

Why do you not believe Corr is injured? he has been out Injured for the past the past few weeks with a hamstring injury. He wasn't going to be risked if he wasn't fully fit It was mentioned in the Celt that he wasn't 100%. McKiernan and McKeever were  not fit enough to start, McKeever could be sprung from the bench. Not every injury needs to be noted in the papers