Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 21, 2013, 10:35:25 AM
Dunne getting a lot of praise but to be honest its been years since I have saw an intercounty match where a full forward could get out in front and be simply faced with his man and nobody else all game long. There was so much space it was unbelievable.  Dunne was able to just get his hands to the ball and kick the balls over at ease without being under any pressure,
I thought it was more the Armagh full back having a nightmare game, which made Dunne look better than he is.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 12:02:10 PM
The most bizarre statement of all was "I wou;dnt be much of a manager if I changed tactics/gameplan at half time!" Paul, the best managers are those who do change tactics immediately on becoming aware that those employed aren't working.

Seen that, T. Baffling to say the least!

imtommygunn

Dunne was marked by 3 different people at various stages of the game.

What stuck out to me was Cavan were prepared for a battle and Armagh didn't seem to be.

A prime example was Mackey's goal. He should have been nailed.

I thought Jamie Clarke got a bit of a raw deal from the ref who really was very poor. The amount of pulling and dragging going on was shocking - none of it was punished. Clarke got some boys knees fired into him too just before the yellow.

It had no impact on the game as Cavan were much superior but if you allow boys to just hang of their markers jersies then it becomes a lot easier to mark dangerous forwards

Abble

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 12:02:10 PM
The most bizarre statement of all was "I wou;dnt be much of a manager if I changed tactics/gameplan at half time!" Paul, the best managers are those who do change tactics immediately on becoming aware that those employed aren't working.

yeah, but only when they have the players to allow that

rrhf

I think Armagh people need to get real and realise they are on year 1 of a 25 year development plan. Your next all Ireland winner ain't born yet.
On a less positive note I notice grimley shined a light on the fact that he is a volunteer doing this work, and rte punditry is paid. It is a point worth making. Volunteers getting slagged on an ongoing basis. What do the rest think?

naka

rrhf
i will be dead when this comes back around

the volunteer point from Grimley was a strong point
it may be one of the reasons why there is no queue of 2002 players stepping forward, Armagh at present dont have a pot to pee in.

T Fearon

Point taken that we aren't world beaters currently, but in a mediocre div 2 to say the least,we should not have been struggling to survive, nor should we be getting beat in the Championship by Roscommon and Cavan.

As I say the biggest indictment is the failure to bring through anyone from the 2009 AI Minor team that has established himself as a Senior player

rrhf

I like the fact Grimley is a volunteer in management, and I think that Joe was teasing and having a little fun - unfortunately now it has been taken all personally and will fester on.  I actually like both characters and hope neither get the sack...  ;)
The key question here is.... are the 2002 bunch of Armagh footballers that driven by money they will not step forward and help Paul Grimley and others to work and improve Armagh football. Even If the man hasnt the foggiest idea, as GAA people we have to respect the fact that he is a non earning county manager in an era where plenty line their pockets, people are insulting his ego, I think that he is entitled to be held in respect due to his role in Armaghs 2002 success.  I do think Joe Kernan will eventually make a return to Armagh senior football by the way and will achieve renewed success.    Better than that it might happen sooner rather than later. 

Abble

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 02:17:49 PM
Point taken that we aren't world beaters currently, but in a mediocre div 2 to say the least,we should not have been struggling to survive, nor should we be getting beat in the Championship by Roscommon and Cavan.

As I say the biggest indictment is the failure to bring through anyone from the 2009 AI Minor team that has established himself as a Senior player

and out of the managers since JK/PG era Grimley i think is the one trying hardest to give youth a chance. he will take some batterings in press after a beating like sunday, but he still has to be given a chance. I wouldnt get too hung up on near relegation in league either as a lot of boys were missing throughout and there was never any consistency getting built up, and thus also part reason for sunday.

ck

Quote from: rrhf on May 21, 2013, 02:32:09 PM
I like the fact Grimley is a volunteer in management, and I think that Joe was teasing and having a little fun - unfortunately now it has been taken all personally and will fester on.  I actually like both characters and hope neither get the sack...  ;)
The key question here is.... are the 2002 bunch of Armagh footballers that driven by money they will not step forward and help Paul Grimley and others to work and improve Armagh football. Even If the man hasnt the foggiest idea, as GAA people we have to respect the fact that he is a non earning county manager in an era where plenty line their pockets, people are insulting his ego, I think that he is entitled to be held in respect due to his role in Armaghs 2002 success.  I do think Joe Kernan will eventually make a return to Armagh senior football by the way and will achieve renewed success.    Better than that it might happen sooner rather than later.

Answer to your question? is YES!
Justin McNulty in laois, Cathal O'rourke in Louth and McGeeney in Kildare all there to "supplement their income" as it was described in a paper recently. Armagh needs them but they need money.

mackers

Quote from: ck on May 21, 2013, 02:38:54 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 21, 2013, 02:32:09 PM

Answer to your question? is YES!
Justin McNulty in laois, Cathal O'rourke in Louth and McGeeney in Kildare all there to "supplement their income" as it was described in a paper recently. Armagh needs them but they need money.
If you're going to dish out the dirt you would need to get your facts right.  Not all of the 2002 stars are driven for money, let's not get carried away with generalisations.  Paul McGrane is one of the driving forces in the newly formed Orchard Academy and I have not heard any suggestions of the McEntees taking money. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ranch

This obsession with getting a member of the 02 team in to manage the team is ridiculous too. Why should Grimley decide who succeeds him? It should be the best man for the job, end of.

naka

Quote from: ranch on May 21, 2013, 03:25:48 PM
This obsession with getting a member of the 02 team in to manage the team is ridiculous too. Why should Grimley decide who succeeds him? It should be the best man for the job, end of.
[/quote
best men for the job= Mc Entees or McGeeney at present
still think we are about 4 years off having a strong team but like the two Brian`s did they can set up a pattern of play which can be fine tuned over the next few years
PGs tactics are chilishly naive and will only work if the other side decide to match his tactics, if they dont he will fail, any side that play Armagh will pull back 13 men and leave acres of space for the two nippy forwards to run into who will mostprobably score or be fouled.
his plan works in training because both the teams in the training session are playing the same way, a shrewd coach should have different solutions for the various scenarios he will encounter . 

yellowcard

And I would suggest that the best man for the job could easily be found within that 2002 squad. There are any amount of candidates.

Bensars

Quote from: yellowcard on May 21, 2013, 04:29:05 PM

And I would suggest that the best man for the job could easily be found within that 2002 squad. There are any amount of candidates.

Yous would need to make yer mind up.  When it was POR it should have been grimley. Now Grimley stock has fallen its someone else within 2002 panel !

Reality is Armagh are second if not thrid tier from where they where 10 years ago. You have to be realistic as to what can be achieved. A favourable back door draw and yous could get a few days out but other than that forget it. Yous are there to make up the numbers now !

All this talk about Cross means nothing whatsoever.  Armagh are now like Carlow, one good clubteam and a poor county side.