Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

To be honest, I think he may have gotten hit bit or mauled in some way, but not badly. I think someone exaggerated the incident and then when the shit hit the fan were unwilling to put themselves in the way of a questioner.

But I know nothing, and that is pure conjecture. (Which I am happy to admit).

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 10, 2013, 02:04:13 PM
To be honest, I think he may have gotten hit bit or mauled in some way, but not badly. I think someone exaggerated the incident and then when the shit hit the fan were unwilling to put themselves in the way of a questioner.

The only lads expressing certainty here are the conspiracy theorists from Dublin.

BluestackBoy

Please, no more about this. It has been done to death & we are no nearer a definitive account of what actually happened. Everyone has their own opinions but that is all we have.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

heffo

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

The only lads expressing certainty here are the conspiracy theorists from Dublin.

This sounds pretty definitive:

"the statements coming from Dublin posters is pure innuendo designed to deflect attention away from the fact that there was a bite."

AZOffaly

I agree, it probably has been done to death, but I feel sorry for young O'Brien. Because of the way this has gone, loads of people, including a lot on here, think he got off on a technicality. If I were him I'd be extremely pissed off to have that associated with my name for the rest of his career.

And speaking of unlikely events, the reason behind my conjecture is that I can't understand why someone who had been bit badly enough to go to hospital, apparently had evidence of a bad bite, witnessed by doctors etc. etc. etc. would suddenly decide to clam up after initially reporting the incident, and then not appear at all at the appeal where they could be questioned or challenged on the evidence.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 10, 2013, 02:15:23 PM
I agree, it probably has been done to death, but I feel sorry for young O'Brien. Because of the way this has gone, loads of people, including a lot on here, think he got off on a technicality. If I were him I'd be extremely pissed off to have that associated with my name for the rest of his career.

And speaking of unlikely events, the reason behind my conjecture is that I can't understand why someone who had been bit badly enough to go to hospital, apparently had evidence of a bad bite, witnessed by doctors etc. etc. etc. would suddenly decide to clam up after initially reporting the incident, and then not appear at all at the appeal where they could be questioned or challenged on the evidence.

The answer to that probably lies in the last sentence of your post. McBrearty is a teenager & did not relish being "questioned or challenged on the evidence" in a formal hearing. He said his piece in the report & really there was nothing else he could add. If what was in the report wasn't good enough what else could he add that would have improved things?
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Fuzzman

Has it ever came out when in the match this happened?
Was it during open play or did it happen at half time?

yellowcard

Quote from: heffo on May 10, 2013, 02:14:33 PM

"the statements coming from Dublin posters is pure innuendo designed to deflect attention away from the fact that there was a bite."

You can be pedantic if you want and select bits of a sentence but that is designed simply to deflect attention from the fact that the Dublin arguments are nothing more than innuendo.

McGuinness' statement, together with those of county board officials and backroom team along with medical reports and photographs suggest to me that there was a bite. Seriously, who do you expect people to believe?

AZOffaly

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 10, 2013, 02:23:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 10, 2013, 02:15:23 PM

The answer to that probably lies in the last sentence of your post. McBrearty is a teenager & did not relish being "questioned or challenged on the evidence" in a formal hearing. He said his piece in the report & really there was nothing else he could add. If what was in the report wasn't good enough what else could he add that would have improved things?

I'm sure he wouldn't relish it, who would? But if the complaint was made, and the evidence was clear, as has been suggested, why would he not just come and reiterate his story. You can't clarify or ask a question of a 'report', so due process has to be followed. What would he be afraid of?

AZOffaly

Quote from: yellowcard on May 10, 2013, 02:27:51 PM

You can be pedantic if you want and select bits of a sentence but that is designed simply to deflect attention from the fact that the Dublin arguments are nothing more than innuendo.

McGuinness' statement, together with those of county board officials and backroom team along with medical reports and photographs suggest to me that there was a bite. Seriously, who do you expect people to believe?

Has ANYONE other than the Donegal camp seen these bitemarks? Or the photographs?

RMDrive

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 10, 2013, 02:26:09 PM
Has it ever came out when in the match this happened?
Was it during open play or did it happen at half time?

During the game, just before the half-time whistle. At the town end 45 towards the terrace side.

Allegedly of course  ::)

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 10, 2013, 02:29:25 PM

Has ANYONE other than the Donegal camp seen these bitemarks? Or the photographs?

No, but it doesn't stop ill-informed posters stating the contents with absolute conviction

AZOffaly

To be fair, on the Dublin side heffo, I'd be ripping if I was O'Brien and I knew there was some evidence or reason why I was cleared that is being held back. As I said, people up and down the country are assuming that he did bite McBrearty, pretty badly to warrant a trip to the photographer and hospital, and he just got off on a technicality, in spite of major evidence, just because McBrearty didn't turn up.

If I were he, I'd be as angry at my own county board as I would be at Donegal if this was a stitch up.

RMDrive

The Dublin doctor and the medical staff in LK general have seen the bite. The CCCC and the CHC have seen the pictures. I'd say the pictures were also shared with the Dublin camp by the GAA as part of the hearing.

heffo

Quote from: RMDrive on May 10, 2013, 02:37:43 PM

The Dublin doctor and the medical staff in LK general have seen the bite. The CCCC and the CHC have seen the pictures. I'd say the pictures were also shared with the Dublin camp by the GAA as part of the hearing.

Dublin doctor said it was a bruise no different to the bruises on a number of Dublin players.

If I walked in off the street to A&E with a bruise and said I was bitten and wanted precautionary shots, I'm sure the attending Doctor wouldn't cross-examine me.