The Masters 2013.

Started by laoislad, April 04, 2013, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

A relation of mine was telling me yesterday that a friend of his (and a few of his friends) all had a few quid at 300/1 that the young lad would make the cut. I told him his friend had to be winding him up as the odds I'd heard were 15s or 20s. Funny though that it was also 300/1 that they supposedly got.

Heard of another lad in my locality who had big money on one of the playoff contenders. Would win €5200 if his man got the green jacket. Just before the playoff Betfair called him on his mobile and offered to settle the bet for €2000. He told them to feck off. He was on Cabrera!   

Bingo

Quote from: Hound on April 15, 2013, 10:22:19 AM
A relation of mine was telling me yesterday that a friend of his (and a few of his friends) all had a few quid at 300/1 that the young lad would make the cut. I told him his friend had to be winding him up as the odds I'd heard were 15s or 20s. Funny though that it was also 300/1 that they supposedly got.

Heard of another lad in my locality who had big money on one of the playoff contenders. Would win €5200 if his man got the green jacket. Just before the playoff Betfair called him on his mobile and offered to settle the bet for €2000. He told them to feck off. He was on Cabrera!   

North County Dublin by any chance. He never mentioned anyone else having it but it is the "talk" of the town by all accounts. He rang me about it Saturday to see if I had the actual odds on it.

Hound

Quote from: Bingo on April 15, 2013, 10:40:50 AM

North County Dublin by any chance. He never mentioned anyone else having it but it is the "talk" of the town by all accounts. He rang me about it Saturday to see if I had the actual odds on it.
Yes!

laoislad

I backed him at 15/1 to make the cut on paddy power online.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

I remember reading about a Norwegian chap who put 10 grand on Milan at half-time in the 2005 Champions League final. You never see a bookie on a bicycle.

Bingo

Quote from: Hound on April 15, 2013, 11:35:33 AM

Yes!

Rush? Sounds like the same bet so.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Bingo on April 15, 2013, 10:09:11 AM
The golf and excitement was very ordinary for a long time last night but the moves over the last few holes and the play-off was just brillant. Nerves of steel.

Brother in Law had a good one on a bet for it. His lad wanted the 14 year old backed to make the cut. Went to local bookies (not one of the big chains). Asked for odds, the cashier said 1000/1 and he said, not to win it but to make the cut. She looked it up, rang another office and eventually came back with 300/1, he said that couldn't be right, she insisted it was, he still queried it bur she was happy with it, he had the slip wrote out but she put the odds on and circled it, as they do.

Anyways, the bet obviously came in but when he went to collect, obviously they won't pay out 300/1 and said she made a balls of it, it should have been 20/1, which seems about right - it been the masters, its a small field with the 10 shot rule and a high % would make the cut.

Anyways, he pulled them on it a bit and withheld the belt to see if they offer him more, as they made the mistake. His argument been if he knew he was 20/1 only, he'd have lumped on him more than the tenner he put on. A long shot and he doesn't expect anything out of it. But is due to go into them today to meet the "boss".

I've heard of this before and the bookies always seem to be well covered.

His lad who wanted the bet on was very excited mind you and came crashing down to earth!

take the 20-1 and ask for a free bet, the bookie has these price errors covered in the rules

stew

If Cabrera had won I would have gotten $360.00 back for a ten dollar bet in a masters pool, instead I got $50.00 and fourth place and a free round of golf for 2, not a bad bet for spending $20.00 on two different teams to win her.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

Ye Wocheng, 12, cards 79 on European Tour debut
China's Ye Wocheng, 12, has become the youngest player in European Tour history, making a seven-over-par 79 in the first round of the China Open.

The Dongguan schoolboy, who had to qualify for the event, emulates compatriots Andy Zhang and Guan Tianlang by playing at the top level.

Zhang became the youngest player to play at the US Open at 14, while Guan played at this year's Masters, also 14.

Sporting prodigies
•Michelle Wie won the 2003 US Women's Amateur Public Links Championship - an adult event - at the age of 13
•Michael Chang is the youngest male player to have won a Grand Slam singles title after lifting the 1989 French Open tennis title at the age of 17
•Matthew Briggs is the youngest footballer to have appeared in the English Premier League, making his debut for Fulham at 16 years 54 days old in May 2007

Ye is coached by England's David Watson.

"Ye's ability to listen and respond is way above the norm,'' said Watson.

"At the moment, I don't believe that Ye has too many rivals of the same age. He often wins in higher age groups, but, at the same time, I know it is dangerous to speculate and we must realise he is just a 12-year-old boy.''

Ye is a two-time winner of the US Kids Junior World Championship, beating the tournament record previously held by world number one Tiger Woods with a 12-under-par card.

With his father as his caddie, Ye recovered from a final-round double bogey to secure the final China Open qualifying spot at the Western China qualifier in March.

Golf was banned in China until the 1980s, deemed by the communist government to be too bourgeois. 

But more than 23,000 children have passed through the national golf association's junior golf programme  since its launch in 2007.

Carmen Stateside

Sorry only seeing this now. Posted similar on golf thread.