AFL Season 2013

Started by Aerlik, March 22, 2013, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Good luck to Hanley. From any of the highlights I've seen he's having some season

FL/MAYO

Quote from: HeaveHo on August 19, 2013, 02:30:15 AM
Hanley has signed a five year deal with the Lions. I am guessing but it would be in the region of $500,000 to $600,000 per annum. Likely to win the F & B for the Lions this year.

Is that guaranteed for the 5 years or is it subject to performance?

HeaveHo

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 19, 2013, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: HeaveHo on August 19, 2013, 02:30:15 AM
Hanley has signed a five year deal with the Lions. I am guessing but it would be in the region of $500,000 to $600,000 per annum. Likely to win the F & B for the Lions this year.

Is that guaranteed for the 5 years or is it subject to performance?

Very few AFL contracts have performance clauses these days - salary cap rules make it hard to top up contracts. Hanley will likely get paid whether he plays or not (or plays poorly). Five year contracts are unusual these days - clubs have been burnt in the past and most are reluctant to offer more than three year deals. Free agency has been introduced into the AFL so longer deals for younger players may become the norm but this is the first five year deal I can remember in 2 or 3 seasons and maybe longer.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Declan on August 19, 2013, 01:05:21 PM
Good luck to Hanley. From any of the highlights I've seen he's having some season

He is flying and is being touted as an All Australian this year (along with a Canadian rugby player). He may well be the next captain of the Lions as well if big Jonathan Brown retires.

Both Tuohy and Hanley are brilliant kickers of the oval ball which is something considering their late introduction to the game

Aerlik

Round 21, the round that made some and broke others.

Hawthorn 119-83 Collingwood
Billed as the game of the round, all it did was cement Hawthorn's favouritism for the premiership this year.  Some great passages of play but in the end the Hawks were just too good.  Hawthorn should finish top of the table but the loss for the Pies means they will not make the Top 4 and the second chance game.

Carlton 106-96 Richmond
A great win for Carlton over a Richmond team that was gunning for a Top 4 finish.  Carlton were just too clever and even without Chris Judd they had the guile and mental strength to keep on at the Richmond attacks.  Another belter of a goal from Zac in this game too.  Richmond cannot make the Top 4 either.

Pt. Adelaide 113-96 Gold Coast
This was touted by many as a possible Suns win, but the Power knew that to lose this game could see them lose out on a Top 8 position, and so they managed to hold on.  17 points is not exactly close but not exactly a belting either and things augur well for Gold Coast next season.

North Melbourne 115 - 70 Essendon
This was a debacle for Essendon.  It is the third loss in a row and clearly the pressure surrounding the drug cheating allegations are starting to take a toll.  And yet again one has to ask the question, why oh why did NMFC not play like this all season as they could easily have been a Top 4 team otherwise.

Brisbane 123-63 GWS
After the sacking of the head coach what the Lions needed as a bit of respite on the pitch and they got it.  Didn't see the game but by all accounts they were just too good.  Great to see Pearce getting recognition.

Geelong 107-41 West Coast.
What a pure f**king shambles.  I have seen capitulations in my time but one in the first 14 minutes of the game?  Never.  Geelong had 5.1 to the Eagles' 0.1 in that time.  Garbage.  (So I turned over to watch the All-Blacks beat the Wobblies instead.)  The gnashing and grinding of teeth has commenced and damn aren't we Freo fans loving it. ;D

Fremantle 133-38 Melbourne.
If it were any other side playing Melbourne I'd have written "nuff said, move on!"  But as it is this was a very important win for us as it greatly boosted our percentage total and now we are only 2.5% behind Sydney.  Nothing of real significance to be taken from this game other than injuries to two key players for Freo and Lee Spurr kicking his first ever goal.

Sydney 118-59 St. Kilda
To think that Sydney had three of their top players missing looms ominously for the other teams in finals contention.  They were just too good all over the oval.  However, Freo is catching....

Western Bulldogs 131-114 Adelaide
What a way to celebrate Adam Cooney's 200th appearance for the club.  A great morale-boosting win for the dogs.  Is there light at the end of the tunnel and better things next year.?

So the Top 4 has been decided.  Eighth position is mathematically still achievable for Carlton but for the teams below them it's all over with only credibility at stake.  Here's how it looks going into Round 22:

Hawthorn will beat North Melbourne and claim the top spot and a home final;
IF Sydney beat Geelong then Sydney go second, but if Geelong win they claim the second spot and seeing as they play Brisbane in the last game of the season at home that will be that.

HOWEVER...
if Sydney beat Geelong by only a few points AND Freo  beat Pt. Adelaide by a big margin, Freo can go second.  And then there's the final round to come. 

Exciting finish...glad I'm a Freo member.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Aerlik on August 20, 2013, 06:03:03 AM
Billed as the game of the round, all it did was cement Hawthorn's favouritism for the premiership this year.  Some great passages of play but in the end the Hawks were just too good.  Hawthorn should finish top of the table but the loss for the Pies means they will not make the Top 4 and the second chance game.

Saw most of this game and the scoreline flatters Collingwood, Hawthorn seemed to stop playing at the end of the second quarter and allowed the pies back into the game when they should have been dead and buried. They did something similar late on as well, but it really was men against boys at times with Hawthorn owning the ball.

What is the deal with Martin Clark, has he been dropped? Don't even see him mentioned in the VFL.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

passedit

Injured at the minute I think.
Don't Panic

HeaveHo

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 20, 2013, 09:53:39 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on August 20, 2013, 06:03:03 AM

Saw most of this game and the scoreline flatters Collingwood, Hawthorn seemed to stop playing at the end of the second quarter and allowed the pies back into the game when they should have been dead and buried. They did something similar late on as well, but it really was men against boys at times with Hawthorn owning the ball.

What is the deal with Martin Clark, has he been dropped? Don't even see him mentioned in the VFL.

Clarke is done for the season. Will need a big preseason

Aerlik

Got a feeling it is the end for Clarke.  Nothing to suggest he will be around next year.  Hope I'm wrong.

Heave Ho, are you for the game on Saturday?

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on August 21, 2013, 09:41:02 PM
Got a feeling it is the end for Clarke.  Nothing to suggest he will be around next year.  Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think Clarke will be at Collingwood next year - I reckon someone else will grab him if he nominates for the pre season draft.

I will be there on Saturday night - might be a hard game for us.

Aerlik

He might be a target for St.Kilda or even the Bulldogs because their mids half-back stocks are not great.

Look out for the "Lyon Kings" banner behind the Subiaco/western end goals.  That's mini-me's.  It will be a very tough one as Port need the win to avoid being caught on the last day by the Blues.

Don't think Ballaz will play tbh.  Hope I'm wrong.  Good to see Mammoth Hannath back in again.  He is going to be some unit with a bit more game time.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on August 23, 2013, 04:42:38 AM
He might be a target for St.Kilda or even the Bulldogs because their mids half-back stocks are not great.

Look out for the "Lyon Kings" banner behind the Subiaco/western end goals.  That's mini-me's.  It will be a very tough one as Port need the win to avoid being caught on the last day by the Blues.

Don't think Ballaz will play tbh.  Hope I'm wrong.  Good to see Mammoth Hannath back in again.  He is going to be some unit with a bit more game time.

I am right on the wing on the Subi side - will keep an eye out for Lyon Kings. Won't be an easy game - I like the look of Wines, Windgards and their big ruckman.

Ballaz won't play. Hannath lacks pace to be a key forward unless he could hold some pack grabs. Not sure he will play much once Griffin and Bradley are back.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on August 23, 2013, 04:42:38 AM

Glad I was wrong on Ballaz. All a bit too easy in the end.

I didn't see the sign on game day but saw it on Fox Footy last night.

snoopdog

Quote from: HeaveHo on August 22, 2013, 09:52:43 AM

I don't think Clarke will be at Collingwood next year - I reckon someone else will grab him if he nominates for the pre season draft.

i know a team that plays in red and black could do with him, and i dont mean Essendon.
I assume Mooney is doing well, only a young fella yet? Is he tipped to make it?

JimStynes

Quote from: snoopdog on August 27, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
Quote from: HeaveHo on August 22, 2013, 09:52:43 AM

i know a team that plays in red and black could do with him, and i dont mean Essendon.
I assume Mooney is doing well, only a young fella yet? Is he tipped to make it?

Still only new to game but he's not making much headway at the minute apparently. Hanley was the same at this stage though and now he is one of the best in the competition.

Clarke lacks pace for the modern AFL game and cant seem to keep any form going for a long period I reckon. He always starts the season well and starts slacking off after about 8 games. He will get picked up from another team but I think he has another year left on his contract so not sure what happens there. Club maybe have to buy him out of his current deal.