Is this the next of it ?

Started by orangeman, March 21, 2013, 11:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

In fairness it is getting really tiresome the bluff teams that managers have been putting out for the last while, to me it shows a sign of lack of confidence and self belief. Psychologically sends out all the wrong signals to the players on your own side, imagine a manager comes out on a Wednesday evening says here is my team for Sunday now come and do your best to beat that. Different mind set in my opinion.

screenexile

Would it not be easier to have squad numbers?

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2013, 09:31:34 AM
Would it not be easier to have squad numbers?

Squads change all the time and would prove even more costly for county boards. Next thing they'll be wanting the names on the back of the jerseys!!

Hardy

Why does the timing of the team announcement matter? There seems to be a suggestion that early naming of the teams helps with promotion/PR/whatever. I don't get that. Surely speculation about team selection generates as much, if not more, media attention - will he/won't he play, the Johnny vs. Joey phone-in debate, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with releasing player numbers (they don't have to be season-long squad numbers) a few days in advance so that the programme can be printed. It can even include a notional line-up. But the actual team is announced on the PA before the match. Even if it's not, people have eyes and biros and they can make the appropriate adjustments on their programmes.

There are problems the RAC could be addressing. This is not a problem. Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

This is all part of Liam O'Neills crusade against the evil "cult of the manager"...he has a serious bee in the bonnet over stuff like this.

To be fair, naming dummy teams all the time for League games is idiotic and Cork and Dublin have been guilty in this regard in football league. For C/ship though, you can see the tactical element to it, so can see why managers do it.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2013, 11:04:23 AM
Why does the timing of the team announcement matter? There seems to be a suggestion that early naming of the teams helps with promotion/PR/whatever. I don't get that. Surely speculation about team selection generates as much, if not more, media attention - will he/won't he play, the Johnny vs. Joey phone-in debate, etc.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly sums up the GAA's inability to promote its games like a proper organisation.

QuoteI don't see anything wrong with releasing player numbers (they don't have to be season-long squad numbers) a few days in advance so that the programme can be printed. It can even include a notional line-up. But the actual team is announced on the PA before the match. Even if it's not, people have eyes and biros and they can make the appropriate adjustments on their programmes.

There are problems the RAC could be addressing. This is not a problem. Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.

No. People don't have biros.  I don't carry a pen with me to every sporting event. When I buy a program I expect the information in it to be f**king correct, not to have to do the organisers' job for them.  ::)

orangeman

What about having time outs ala Amercian football ?

More opportunity for the GAA to cash in ??

Commercial breaks would bring in big money at these time outs.

Rossfan

And helmets with radios in them so the manager can tell the robot players what to do. also more advertising space.
And in the present sideways handpassing world why not give a team a free every time they manage to move the ball 5 metres forwards.
Then you'd need only one man able to kick the ball who of course could be brought on just to take the kicks the handpassers would win.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Amazing delegates were so blinkered to not pass something as common sense as this motion but one to introduce something as game changing a black card on already deeply under pressure officials passes. Only in the GAA.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2013, 07:11:42 AM

And that, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly sums up the GAA's inability to promote its games like a proper organisation.

QuoteI don't see anything wrong with releasing player numbers (they don't have to be season-long squad numbers) a few days in advance so that the programme can be printed. It can even include a notional line-up. But the actual team is announced on the PA before the match. Even if it's not, people have eyes and biros and they can make the appropriate adjustments on their programmes.

No. People don't have biros.  I don't carry a pen with me to every sporting event. When I buy a program I expect the information in it to be f**king correct, not to have to do the organisers' job for them.  ::)

Any premiership game I've ever been to has the squad list and a space beside it where you can mark if he's playing or not. In the states the full active roster is printed.

So, for programmes in the GAA, an ideal solution would be to have squad numbers that can be printed, and if a new addition comes on then simply give them 25/26/27 whatever.

Hardy

While you're plying your marketing guru task, can you address the full context of the comment you quoted? It's my experience that teams that don't announce their selections in advance generate more media coverage in the immediate prelude to matches than those that do. Speculation about unannounced selections serially leads the sports bulletins in the days preceding big matches. Reports on selected teams typically last a day at the very best. Therefore, I contend that the PR argument for the importance of early team announcements is spurious.

BluestackBoy

Far too much interference from the authorities.

I can read as well as the next man & if a player has 18 on his back it is not a big deal to read the subs list to see who he is.

The fact of the matter is that printers need team lists in early & nowadays many managers don't make their minds up about their starting 15 until after the deadline.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 28, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2013, 01:06:11 PM

Any premiership game I've ever been to has the squad list and a space beside it where you can mark if he's playing or not. In the states the full active roster is printed.

So, for programmes in the GAA, an ideal solution would be to have squad numbers that can be printed, and if a new addition comes on then simply give them 25/26/27 whatever.
Funnily enough, the MacRory Cup final had a player from St. Paul's Bessbrook wear a jersey with the number 42! How that came about I've no idea.

They had a squad of 43, I shit you not!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 28, 2013, 02:15:20 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2013, 02:11:00 PM
Funnily enough, the MacRory Cup final had a player from St. Paul's Bessbrook wear a jersey with the number 42! How that came about I've no idea.

And there was me thinking Mickey Harte was bad  :P

Think it was something to do with a Bessbrook player getting his ban lifted.

A squad of 43 is ridiculous though!!

Hardy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 28, 2013, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 28, 2013, 02:15:20 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2013, 02:11:00 PM

And there was me thinking Mickey Harte was bad  :P

Think it was something to do with a Bessbrook player getting his ban lifted.

A squad of 43 is ridiculous though!!

Absolutely. 42 is enough for any team.