Mayo v Donegal - McHale Park - 24th Mar 2013

Started by RMDrive, March 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Putrid stuff.
The cynical teams like Mayo would want to start planning ahead or they'll be left behind the rest of us in 2014.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Dublin 10
Tyrone 10
Kildare 8
Cork 6
Donegal 4
Kerry 4
Mayo 4
Down 2

What happens if Donegal, Mayo and Kerry win next week?

Four teams on six points, one into semi and one relegated?  :)

muppet

Quote from: maigheo on March 24, 2013, 04:08:25 PM
If I am not mistaken but if Mayo beat Cork next week we will qualify for the semi finals

If Kerry and Donegal both win, and we don't, we go down I think.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on March 24, 2013, 04:16:44 PM
If I am not mistaken but if Mayo beat Cork next week we will qualify for the semi finals

If i'm not mistaken, it goes back to scoring difference if more than two teams are involved.

cadence

there was a lot of fouls given but they weren't all fouls. if a player goes to ground it doen't necessarily mean that it was a free and he gave that one all day long.

anyway, mayo will be happy with that. deserved victory.

we knew before this weekend that we've got work to do on our attacking play. have to give mayo their dues though, very good defensive display. broke our attacks and hit us on the break. midfield was also a bit of a non-contest.

it's just not happening for us atm. we can't seem to create the scoring opportunities. time and again moves broke down when hand passes didn't hit the runner. those types of passes might look easy enough but when you've got bodies moving at a rate of noughts about the place they're not that easy. it's not that our running game has shut down, it just gets us the ball up to the 50-45 and then we run out of ideas.

maigheo

just looking at the tables again and as well as beating cork we would need dublin to beat donegal to qualify.If tyrone defeat kerry then kerry are gone down.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 24, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 24, 2013, 04:16:44 PM

If i'm not mistaken, it goes back to scoring difference if more than two teams are involved.

Yea but look at the table. If Donegal & Kerry win and we don't we go down on points with Down. No tie-breaker. Even if they both draw and we lose, we go down. Typically though, we make the semi-final if we win.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Oh feck no! Don't really want that! So it's really a League quarter final!  ???

Thought Cork would do us a favour this week beat Kerry and send out their reserve team for the final game against us.  ;)

muppet

Quote from: maigheo on March 24, 2013, 04:25:02 PM
just looking at the tables again and as well as beating cork we would need dublin to beat donegal to qualify.

No.

If we win against Cork, Donegal can't qualify as we won the head to head today.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on March 24, 2013, 04:10:44 PM
Putrid stuff.
The cynical teams like Mayo would want to start planning ahead or they'll be left behind the rest of us in 2014.

When you say us do you mean Meath?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's really funny!

maigheo

Quote from: muppet on March 24, 2013, 04:28:00 PM
just looking at the tables again and as well as beating cork we would need dublin to beat donegal to qualify.

No.

IF THERE IS A 3 WAY TIE scoring diff. is the tie breaker.Head to head only comes into play when 2 teams are tied on points,So if donegal  and mayo both win by a point donegal will qualify as they have a plus 3 difference while we have a 0 point diff.

J70

Quote from: maigheo on March 24, 2013, 04:36:33 PM

No.

IF THERE IS A 3 WAY TIE scoring diff. is the tie breaker.Head to head only comes into play when 2 teams are tied on points,So if donegal  and mayo both win by a point donegal will qualify as they have a plus 3 difference while we have a 0 point diff.

Presumably scoring difference as well if its a four-way tie?

muppet

If Down win, and Mayo and Kerry lose and Donegal draw or win, there will be a tie of 3 or 4 teams on 4 points. The same happens if Donegal lose and Kerry draw or win.

What happens the head to head then? Down beat Mayo, who beat Kerry who beat Down so the head to head is useless. Does it go to score difference then?

Gaa.ie website is down.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: maigheo on March 24, 2013, 04:36:33 PM

No.

Good point.

Actually there are any number of possibilities.

On form Kerry and Donegal will struggle in the last game. If they both win it could get interesting but if either lose we should be safe.
MWWSI 2017

maigheo

yeah it goes to scoring difference and right now mayo have a much better scoring diff. than kerry or down.For Mayo to stay up we need to match Kerrys result v tyrone.I am sure Tyrone will relish the chance to send the kingdom down to division 2