For fecks sake

Started by ardal, March 13, 2013, 08:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardal

Boy awarded €1.5m in settlement for car crash

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/boy-awarded-1-5m-in-settlement-for-car-crash-1.1324521

Just got the Times to go on here. But chist is our little nation still mad? Can't we think beyond the bloody € sign. I remember a case from way back where a guy got drunk in a bar. fell off the stool, ended up in a wheel chair and sued the bar.

NAG1

Quote from: ardal on March 13, 2013, 08:23:05 PM

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/boy-awarded-1-5m-in-settlement-for-car-crash-1.1324521

Just got the Times to go on here. But chist is our little nation still mad? Can't we think beyond the bloody € sign. I remember a case from way back where a guy got drunk in a bar. fell off the stool, ended up in a wheel chair and sued the bar.

What's the issue with this Ardal?
Obviously the child has now got learning difficulties and a disability from this crash, both of which will need on going investment for help with.
Id be more worried about the whip lash crew than this type of claim.

stew

Quote from: NAG1 on March 14, 2013, 08:59:26 AM

Obviously the child has now got learning difficulties and a disability from this crash, both of which will need on going investment for help with.

6 years for that? are you fecking kidding me!

A lad I know used to take turns ith the gf of 10 years driving home from the golf course I play at all the time in the summer, anyway, there are very few peelers in this county and the locals are always drinking and driving, he was driving this night and the two of them were loaded, he crossed the center line and hit another vehicle, the gf died and the other driver was badly injured but made it, the drunk drive didnt have a mark on him, he got 20 years, no parole as a first time DUI offender.

Your woman killed several people and got 4 years with two suspended, that's pure ket
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ardal

It's who they sued

AQMP

Quote from: ardal on March 14, 2013, 01:55:33 PM

It's who they sued

Two points here ardal, it may not be the same case but there was a well publicised case in the North about 10-12 years ago which followed the same course as that which you outline.  The guy who fell off the bar stool lost his case.

Also this boy made a claim against the MIBI.  Is this not an organisation set up specifically to compensate the victims of car accidents where the driver in uninsured??  Who else would he claim against?

brokencrossbar1

Ardal, they have no other option but to sue the MIBI.  Who else would you suggest that they sue?  The alcoholic, uninsured driver who had no licence and one would suspect no money?

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on March 14, 2013, 02:09:02 PM
Also this boy made a claim against the MIBI.  Is this not an organisation set up specifically to compensate the victims of car accidents where the driver in uninsured??  Who else would he claim against?

Yeah, I don't see the issue here. As I understand it one of the things with insurance claims is that somebody has to be at fault, hence the need to sue in this case. The claim has been interrogated and found to be valid. I hope the money makes John Logan's life, blighted as it will be with "language and learning difficulties" due to the head injury sustained, a little easier.