Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 18, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: stew on March 18, 2013, 02:54:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2013, 10:17:53 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile on March 17, 2013, 12:27:48 PM
That's your opinion,

Of course it's my opinion. Wo else's opinion would it be?

QuoteI agree that there have been many people killed over religion, however i think the morals and social order it set within society greatly makes up for that. I'm not here to change someones opinion on religion, i would take no joy even if you did regain your faith, its entirely a private matter, however I cant comprehend why someone would take joy in watching a person lose their faith.

When people believe without evidence then it leads to all manner of ignorance and superstition like homeopathy, horoscopes, and homophobia. Newspapers have a daily section dedicated to horoscopes but not a section dedicated to science in which people could learn about how stuff actually works. Faith holds humanity back.  If it weren't for faith we'd have a base on the moon by now with thousands of people living on it, and we'd probably have landed people on Mars. 

And I reject your argument that faith is responsible for social order in society. Even most religious people get their morals from the same place as I do, from experience, discussion and from society. If they got it from that silly book that was written by middle eastern goat herders who thought the earth was flat then we'd be stoning people to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath.

Eh, the scientists of the day believed the earth was flat!
Surely the point is that science has moved on, yet people still rely on the book written at that time.

That was not surely the point, yer man indicated that those that wrote "that silly book" believed that the earth was flat, he failed to mention that his beloved scientists of the age believed it to be true, they were wrong obviously.

The Bible has remained virtually unchanged since it was written, if you took the time to read it you would wonder how it was that "Middle eastern goat herders" could write such a book given the quality of the writing!

I am a Christian, I believe in Christ and I am as comfortable in a Protestant Church as I am a Catholic one, to me there is no difference between the two because people go there to pray to the God they believe in, and it is the same God ffa.

Too many hypocrites have started wars and invoked Gods name to justify it, I believe they will get theirs when they get judged.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ziggysego

Quote from: orangeman on March 17, 2013, 09:42:59 AM
Francis, the former Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, has also urged Argentines not to make costly trips to Rome to see him but to give the money to the poor instead.

Testing Accessibility

Eamonnca1

I object to the bible on literary grounds. Where's the protagonist? Where's the plot? Where's the characters and pacing and the building of tension? It's just a rambling disjointed pile of incoherent babbling about ... something or other. Has to be the most overrated piece of nonsense ever. And every sentence begins with 'and.' What's up with that? If I were an English teacher and a student handed me an essay of the same quality I'd give him an F-- and tell him to start again. F***ing load of ballix.

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 18, 2013, 04:53:16 PM
I object to the bible on literary grounds. Where's the protagonist? Where's the plot? Where's the characters and pacing and the building of tension? It's just a rambling disjointed pile of incoherent babbling about ... something or other. Has to be the most overrated piece of nonsense ever. And every sentence begins with 'and.' What's up with that? If I were an English teacher and a student handed me an essay of the same quality I'd give him an F-- and tell him to start again. F***ing load of ballix.
You'd know more about a fish supper.

Case in point. There is no intent here for harmless slagging or poking fun. Long track record of derogatory comments and accusations. Typical Keyboard warrior  -big man on here, quite the opposite in real life.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on March 18, 2013, 05:25:06 PM

You're one to be talking. You should've followed scripture before you 'looked after' your neighbours beloved pets  >:(

Ecclesiastes 3:19

19 For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is[a]
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on March 18, 2013, 02:54:12 PM
Eh, the scientists of the day believed the earth was flat!

I'm pretty sure they don't anymore. It's great what you can do if you acknowledge that it's okay to change your mind in the light of new information.

armaghniac

What has the curvature of the Earth to do with this thread? Does the Pope believe the Earth is flat?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: theskull1 on March 18, 2013, 05:48:42 PM

You're one to be talking. You should've followed scripture before you 'looked after' your neighbours beloved pets  >:(

19 For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is[a]
Take random quotes from random books and use them for your own agenda - we can all do it.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2013, 06:01:52 PM
What has the curvature of the Earth to do with this thread? Does the Pope believe the Earth is flat?

Maybe not. But he still believes that there's something wrong with being gay. That sounds like a pretty outdated belief given the current state of scientific knowledge, wouldn't you say?

The Iceman

I'm happy enough taking the Pope's lead on this.

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on March 18, 2013, 06:02:32 PM

Take random quotes from random books and use them for your own agenda - we can all do it.....

Of course I have my own agenda...duuhh!!  but are you saying that this quote from scripture has been taken out of context in relation to what we're talking about here? The writings in the bible are open to interpretation in many places but this one is to the point is it not?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Oraisteach

When I asked initially about smoke, I had no idea that I'd get an inferno, or more exactly a tussle about the inferno that Dante had in mind.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 18, 2013, 06:09:21 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2013, 06:01:52 PM

Maybe not. But he still believes that there's something wrong with being gay. That sounds like a pretty outdated belief given the current state of scientific knowledge, wouldn't you say?

And what is the current State of scientific knowledge? enlighten us? How many universes are there and what going on at the bottom of black holes in space?

Talk to me science knows what the feck it is goin on about!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

QuoteWhen I asked initially about smoke, I had no idea that I'd get an inferno, or more exactly a tussle about the inferno that Dante had in mind.

"A mighty flame followeth a tiny spark."
(Poca favilla gran fiamma seconda)

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: theskull1 on March 18, 2013, 07:08:12 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 18, 2013, 06:02:32 PM

Of course I have my own agenda...duuhh!!  but are you saying that this quote from scripture has been taken out of context in relation to what we're talking about here? The writings in the bible are open to interpretation in many places but this one is to the point is it not?

what has this got to do with the topic or the discussion?
It is saying we all die. Man and beast both die. We both started as dust and to dust we shall return. Man has no advantage over beasts, in that way we both die.
This is not the only line or quote from the Bible, it is one line posted out of context to prove a point and it doesn't.
Atheists would have us believe that this is the norm - man and beasts are the same - look even the bible says so. Well it doesn't. Scripture teaches us that there are differences between men and beasts. We have eternal SOULS. And (starting with an And just for Eamonn) we, unlike animals are accountable to God.