Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Nice new frocks and mitres. The present stuff is getting a bit tatty.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2013, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 17, 2013, 09:46:20 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when I can set them down and explain all the religions of the world and how they're free to choose to look into whatever suits them or none at all.

Why not just do it now?

Too confusing for them to process mixed messages at that age.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 18, 2013, 09:51:00 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 18, 2013, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 18, 2013, 08:38:56 AM
If the most holy Roman catholic church has 23M to invest, surely the poor and needy in Africa and what not should be getting it, a no brainer I'd have thought.

Yes - use up all your capital in one go and the people eat for a few months.

Then what?
Maybe use the 23m to build a hospital then?

So all capital should be used up immediately, and when it's all gone so is the income from the employment of that capital? Then how do you maintain the hospital? That's how a child spends his first communion money.

If you want to make an argument for the better deployment of the Vatican's resources to the benefit of the world's poor, I don't think you start with liquidating all performing assets. Now if you were to propose selling off their art treasures and building hospitals, not with the capital, but with the earnings from the investment of that capital, you might have a sustainable plan.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on March 18, 2013, 10:34:29 AM
If the most holy Roman catholic church has 23M to invest, surely the poor and needy in Africa and what not should be getting it, a no brainer I'd have thought.

Then what?

So all capital should be used up immediately, and when it's all gone so is the income from the employment of that capital? Then how do you maintain the hospital? That's how a child spends his first communion money.

If you want to make an argument for the better deployment of the Vatican's resources to the benefit of the world's poor, I don't think you start with liquidating all performing assets. Now if you were to propose selling off their art treasures and building hospitals, not with the capital, but with the earnings from the investment of that capital, you might have a sustainable plan.

Matthew 6:28 on..

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the wild flowers grow. They don't work or make clothing. 29 But here is what I tell you. Not even Solomon in all of his glory was dressed like one of those flowers.

30 "If that is how God dresses the wild grass, won't he dress you even better? After all, the grass is here only today. Tomorrow it is thrown into the fire. Your faith is so small!

31 "So don't worry. Don't say, 'What will we eat?' Or, 'What will we drink?' Or, 'What will we wear?' 32 People who are ungodly run after all of those things. Your Father who is in heaven knows that you need them.

33 "But put God's kingdom first. Do what he wants you to do. Then all of those things will also be given to you.

34 "So don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

LeoMc

Then what?

Is this €23m a performing asset or is it just a nice 12 room apartment for a Prince of the Church?
Art treasures would be a better investment than property in the current climate.

Maguire01

Quote from: LeoMc on March 18, 2013, 10:40:58 AM

Then what?

Is this €23m a performing asset or is it just a nice 12 room apartment for a Prince of the Church?

Precisely.

Hardy

Quote from: johnneycool on March 18, 2013, 10:40:01 AM

Then what?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the wild flowers grow. They don't work or make clothing. 29 But here is what I tell you. Not even Solomon in all of his glory was dressed like one of those flowers.

30 "If that is how God dresses the wild grass, won't he dress you even better? After all, the grass is here only today. Tomorrow it is thrown into the fire. Your faith is so small!

31 "So don't worry. Don't say, 'What will we eat?' Or, 'What will we drink?' Or, 'What will we wear?' 32 People who are ungodly run after all of those things. Your Father who is in heaven knows that you need them.

33 "But put God's kingdom first. Do what he wants you to do. Then all of those things will also be given to you.

34 "So don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Why are you quoting what I presume is "scripture" at me?  I'm talking about the best way to deploy assets if your aim is to use them to improve the lot of the poor and I'm suggesting that blowing the asset on one capital project is not it.

Hardy

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 18, 2013, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 18, 2013, 10:40:58 AM

Then what?

Precisely.

I would assume it is, since it wouldn't be like the Vatican bank to invest in non-performing assets and since this is described as an "investment". I think the investment is in the apartment property, in which there is a 12 room apartment where a "Prince of the Church" lives.  Of course, if Frankie is true to his principles, said Prince should soon be living in a bedsit. 

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on March 18, 2013, 11:01:46 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 18, 2013, 10:40:01 AM

Then what?

Why are you quoting what I presume is "scripture" at me?  I'm talking about the best way to deploy assets if your aim is to use them to improve the lot of the poor and I'm suggesting that blowing the asset on one capital project is not it.

I'm just pointing out the juxtaposition the catholic church finds itself in, its doing gods work one minute and then investing vast sums of money into property the next.

Can it be both?

I'm wouldn't be so sure that the plight of the poor was in the minds of those doing the investing long term, short term or whenever.

The Iceman

why does every thread on the Catholic Church turn into a mud slinging contest? This was supposed to be about the election of a new Pope. Of course it descends into the Atheists going on attack and then feigning that they don't have an agenda or a belief system to ram down anyone's throats quoting old testament out of context and hijacking everything.
The Double standards on the board are out of control. Let's not talk about any GAA related deaths, murders, or anything remotely uncomfortable, but anyone else dies there's jokes, the Church and any believers come up in conversation and they are shit on the sole of your shoes. And this is all fine?

I'd say if you wanted an argument for and against faith you only have to look at the history of this GAA board over the past 10 years. Moral standards guided by a society of self-made Gods directing their own destiny and this is what you get. A board full of begrudgers and haters and not a nice thing to say amoung the majority of yous.  There used to be a bit of harmless slagging on here, all in good fun. Take a scroll through the topics there and tell me where the craic is now?
Some weeding needs to be done.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 18, 2013, 02:17:01 PM
why does every thread on the Catholic Church turn into a mud slinging contest? This was supposed to be about the election of a new Pope. Of course it descends into the Atheists going on attack and then feigning that they don't have an agenda or a belief system to ram down anyone's throats quoting old testament out of context and hijacking everything.
The Double standards on the board are out of control. Let's not talk about any GAA related deaths, murders, or anything remotely uncomfortable, but anyone else dies there's jokes, the Church and any believers come up in conversation and they are shit on the sole of your shoes. And this is all fine?

I'd say if you wanted an argument for and against faith you only have to look at the history of this GAA board over the past 10 years. Moral standards guided by a society of self-made Gods directing their own destiny and this is what you get. A board full of begrudgers and haters and not a nice thing to say amoung the majority of yous.  There used to be a bit of harmless slagging on here, all in good fun. Take a scroll through the topics there and tell me where the craic is now?

I'll get my hoe.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

So censorship is your answer? Boot out posters who disagree with your opinion? What opinions should we prioritise?
As for the bit in bold - well it's hard to know where to start.

All of a Sludden

Are you saying that the mods have an agenda?

Are you saying that some posters can say whatever they like?

Or are you saying that certain counties, their manager and their on and off field actions are off limits on this board?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2013, 10:17:53 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile on March 17, 2013, 12:27:48 PM
That's your opinion,

Of course it's my opinion. Wo else's opinion would it be?

QuoteI agree that there have been many people killed over religion, however i think the morals and social order it set within society greatly makes up for that. I'm not here to change someones opinion on religion, i would take no joy even if you did regain your faith, its entirely a private matter, however I cant comprehend why someone would take joy in watching a person lose their faith.

When people believe without evidence then it leads to all manner of ignorance and superstition like homeopathy, horoscopes, and homophobia. Newspapers have a daily section dedicated to horoscopes but not a section dedicated to science in which people could learn about how stuff actually works. Faith holds humanity back.  If it weren't for faith we'd have a base on the moon by now with thousands of people living on it, and we'd probably have landed people on Mars. 

And I reject your argument that faith is responsible for social order in society. Even most religious people get their morals from the same place as I do, from experience, discussion and from society. If they got it from that silly book that was written by middle eastern goat herders who thought the earth was flat then we'd be stoning people to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath.

Eh, the scientists of the day believed the earth was flat!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on March 18, 2013, 02:54:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2013, 10:17:53 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile on March 17, 2013, 12:27:48 PM
That's your opinion,

Of course it's my opinion. Wo else's opinion would it be?

QuoteI agree that there have been many people killed over religion, however i think the morals and social order it set within society greatly makes up for that. I'm not here to change someones opinion on religion, i would take no joy even if you did regain your faith, its entirely a private matter, however I cant comprehend why someone would take joy in watching a person lose their faith.

When people believe without evidence then it leads to all manner of ignorance and superstition like homeopathy, horoscopes, and homophobia. Newspapers have a daily section dedicated to horoscopes but not a section dedicated to science in which people could learn about how stuff actually works. Faith holds humanity back.  If it weren't for faith we'd have a base on the moon by now with thousands of people living on it, and we'd probably have landed people on Mars. 

And I reject your argument that faith is responsible for social order in society. Even most religious people get their morals from the same place as I do, from experience, discussion and from society. If they got it from that silly book that was written by middle eastern goat herders who thought the earth was flat then we'd be stoning people to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath.

Eh, the scientists of the day believed the earth was flat!
Surely the point is that science has moved on, yet people still rely on the book written at that time.