Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

As he is relatively old and as retirement is now on the cards, he too may have a fairly short reign.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: armaghniac on March 13, 2013, 09:36:03 PM
As he is relatively old and as retirement is now on the cards, he too may have a fairly short reign.

Was thinking, he might be a trial run to see how catholics react to a pope that is more relaxed with certain views.

Maguire01

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2013, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 13, 2013, 09:28:19 PM
Approves of contraception...
BBC say the opposite.

According to a Guardian article he believes condoms "can be permissible", to prevent infection.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dillinger

Quote from: give her dixie on March 13, 2013, 07:14:17 PM
The Falklands will be free very soon......

Take more than an army of men in frocks. ;)

The Iceman

It doesn't matter what his opinion was before on anything lads. The Pope is not the boss. He's like the U.S President, he needs congress and the senate before anything really can be changed. The church will look to him for guidance but there is a whole plethora of Cardinals and Bishops who will continue to guide the church "with" him.

He will have clout, there is no doubt about that but he won't be changing up core teaching on anything. He might help influence the weeding out of some bad elements, he might influence the re-setting of the ship and cleaning up some of the mess but he wont do anything overnight.
We won't be able to judge his capabilities or his influence I think until at least a few years into his pontificate or until he is finished.

what are your thoughts on the predictions of Nostradamus? According to him this is the last Pope. At 76 that doesn't leave much time you would imagine.  Is the end of the World upon us?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: dillinger on March 13, 2013, 11:31:11 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on March 13, 2013, 07:14:17 PM
The Falklands will be free very soon......

Take more than an army of men in frocks. ;)

History shows all it takes for the Argentinians to defeat the Brits, is for a Mayoman to lead them  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on March 14, 2013, 12:05:00 AM
It doesn't matter what his opinion was before on anything lads. The Pope is not the boss. He's like the U.S President, he needs congress and the senate before anything really can be changed. The church will look to him for guidance but there is a whole plethora of Cardinals and Bishops who will continue to guide the church "with" him.

He will have clout, there is no doubt about that but he won't be changing up core teaching on anything. He might help influence the weeding out of some bad elements, he might influence the re-setting of the ship and cleaning up some of the mess but he wont do anything overnight.
We won't be able to judge his capabilities or his influence I think until at least a few years into his pontificate or until he is finished.

what are your thoughts on the predictions of Nostradamus? According to him this is the last Pope. At 76 that doesn't leave much time you would imagine.  Is the end of the World upon us?

Bloody hell Iceman, "Nostradamus", you would believe anything wouldn't you.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Iceman on March 14, 2013, 12:05:00 AM

No.

BennyCake

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 13, 2013, 07:42:08 PM
The first Jesuit Pope. Rome never favoured the Jesuits in the past. Too fond of the poor.

That priest from Father Ted was right.  Those "Jesuits have it all tied up!".  Father Jack had no chance!

Eamonnca1

T Fearon

In the space of 24hours ,Pope Francis has superseded Lionel Messi as the most famous Argentinian plying his trade in Europe.

Shamrock Shore

Quotewhat are your thoughts on the predictions of Nostradamus?

That charlatan did not mention Popes as far as I know. You're thinking of St. Malachy.

Malachy was from Armagh.....................enough said!

Dougal Maguire

The Sun has front page photo of Pope waving to the crowd under the headline Hand of God
Careful now

Tubberman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 14, 2013, 04:36:16 AM

Well that's a fundamental Catholic belief, I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. I don't have a problem with the Catholic Church not advocating same-sex marriage.
The quote doesn't say anything about homosexuality in general - not sure if he has said anything on that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."