Schoolyard Games

Started by ONeill, March 11, 2013, 11:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

WTF? In my day the kick you got from getting a Mars Bar for 2p less because your mate was serving at the tuck shop kept me going for months.

School children playing deadly 'fainting' game

A TYRONE mother has warned that school children are risking their lives through a macabre craze dubbed 'the pass out challenge'.

Lynette Hegarty, from Strabane, spoke out following an incident when her son lost consciousness while attempting the game with friends. Gerard McGarrigle, an 11-year-old pupil at Holy Cross College, was rushed to hospital on Wednesday night after being found unconscious at Springhill Park.

The 'pass out challenge' involves asphyxiating or hyperventilating yourself to attain a euphoric high. It comprises of standing against a wall and holding your breath while someone punches you in the chest.

DANGERS

Ms Hegarty said the sight of seeing her eldest son being stretchered away by paramedics was the "scariest moment of her life". She added that the incident involving her child was far from isolated and that parents needed to be aware of the dangers of the so called 'game'.

"This is what young people are doing and with Gerard, it went badly wrong," she told the Tyrone Herald.

"He passed out, fell to the ground and hit his forehead. I've been told that he was turning blue because he couldn't breathe.

"When I arrived he was on a stretcher and when I saw him laying there I honestly thought he was gone. He was unconscious and it didn't look good at all."

RELIEF

To his mother's relief Gerard came round a short time later in the ambulance. But after what she described as the worst experience of her life, Ms Hegarty said the message had to go out to other parents.

"The message is that young people are doing this sort of thing and I nearly lost my son over it. It's not something they should be doing and it is very, very dangerous. What they are doing starves the brain of oxygen so God knows what state they could end up in.

"I have three younger sons and I want to get the message out to them too about the dangers of it," she said.

http://ulsterherald.com/2013/03/11/school-children-playing-deadly-fainting-game/
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

One of the oddest days ever in school was when some chaps stole a large bottle of tetrachloromethane (or whatever the secret ingredient is in tippex thinners) and started passing it around during break time to 40 or 50 odd fellas down at the gravel pitch.

15 minutes of lads falling over, laughing hysterically, thinking they're invincible. And all back to normal by the end of break.

johnneycool

ball flicking.

Fuckin hated it, entailed some hoor catching you unawares and flick down with their fingers on your nuts through those thin school trousers!
Manys a man was doubled over for the better part of an hour after that!

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on March 11, 2013, 12:17:02 PM
ball flicking.

Fuckin hated it, entailed some hoor catching you unawares and flick down with their fingers on your nuts through those thin school trousers!

I never understood why that was supposed to be funny.

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on March 11, 2013, 11:18:34 AM
WTF? In my day the kick you got from getting a Mars Bar for 2p less because your mate was serving at the tuck shop kept me going for months.

http://ulsterherald.com/2013/03/11/school-children-playing-deadly-fainting-game/

Gotta admit - we did that when attending colaiste samhraidh in the Donegal Gaeltacht back in the 90s - not a new phenomenon. 

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 11, 2013, 12:54:44 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 11, 2013, 12:17:02 PM
ball flicking.

I never understood why that was supposed to be funny.

It wasn't.

supersarsfields

Killer ball.

Played in groups. The larger the better. Involved bouncing a tennis ball or high bounce ball of a wall. If the ball bounced back and hit someone without them actually keeping a hold of it, the rest of the lads would give that person a friendly "beating". So the person with the ball would always attempt to aim the throw to try and hit someone on the rebound. The closer to the front you were, the more likely chance you had of getting hit but you also had a better chance of getting control of the ball.

Looking back it was a strange game!! 

EC Unique

Wedgies... Pulling the unfortunate victim's underwear up their back often to the point of ripping. Not pleasant..

Tony Baloney

Diddy nips, dead arms and wedgies were a rite of passage in our school. Some of the lads that didn't do PE used to sniff aerosols for the craic.

Mostly though our schoolyard game involved playing soccer with a plastic bottle. That fainting game just seems stupid. I thought all wains were on laptops and iPads and having sex at dinnertime these days?!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Rois on March 11, 2013, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 11, 2013, 11:18:34 AM

Gotta admit - we did that when attending colaiste samhraidh in the Donegal Gaeltacht back in the 90s - not a new phenomenon.

We did that at Loch an Iúir as well.  The oul Gaeltacht was way ahead of it's time

rrhf

Psychoball and throwing the brick were classics also.  Also car bonnet sleighing although  that stopped after one lad was left with an arse like bacon rind and needed the rubber ring to sit on for the next week.

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on March 11, 2013, 11:24:40 AM
One of the oddest days ever in school was when some chaps stole a large bottle of tetrachloromethane (or whatever the secret ingredient is in tippex thinners) and started passing it around during break time to 40 or 50 odd fellas down at the gravel pitch.

15 minutes of lads falling over, laughing hysterically, thinking they're invincible. And all back to normal by the end of break.

Late 70's/early 80's the Thompson's bond store in Newry (where Phoenix Merchants is now) was bombed. The debris was dumped in the quarry about half a mile from our school on the road up to Ballyholland. Bottles and bottles of stuff had to be dumped despite the fact they were undamaged and unopened. It was a sight to behold a couple of the lads from O'Neill Ave drinking whiskey with their lunch :o
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrock Shore

Pink bellies in Longford in the late 70s/early 80s

Your stomach would be sore for days.

Bastards  >:(

brokencrossbar1

Hardy hands,  hardy knuckles or slaps generally left the weaker players stinging for a while after.  Handball at school could get fairly nasty as well the way we played Namesies! Sneaky play was 'frowned' upon ;)

Hardy

Anybody notice anything about the demographics of this thread?

I'm just sayin' like.